From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC Threatened by "Institutional Paralysis,"

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 17 Sep 1997 13:00:31

16-September-1997
97354

    WCC Threatened by "Institutional Paralysis,"
    Says Top Official

    by Edmund Doogue
    Ecumenical News International

GENEVA--A prominent Orthodox leader and ecumenical official has told the
governing body of the world's leading interchurch organization, the World
Council of Churches (WCC), set up 49 years ago, that it was "increasingly
threatened by institutional paralysis."

    "We have identified the Council too much with structures and programs.
 ...  Overinstitutionalism made the Council lose much of its creative
dynamism and vision. Meetings, paperwork, computers and travel have heavily
dominated the life of this house," Catholicos Aram I told the WCC's Central
Committee, meeting at the WCC's headquarters in the Ecumenical Centre in
Geneva.

    Aram, Catholicos of the See of Cilicia in Lebanon, of the Armenian
Orthodox Church, is moderator of the WCC's Central Committee.

    In his speech, delivered Sept. 11, the first day of the meeting,
Catholicos Aram praised the WCC's achievements during the Cold War, when it
helped churches "build bridges across geographical, ideological, racial and
cultural divisions."  But, in a string of critical comments, he echoed the
views of some of the 330 member churches of the WCC, especially -- though
not only -- of  its Orthodox members, who have sometimes complained that a
Western agenda has been imposed on the WCC by West European and North
American Protestant churches.  The member churches of the WCC include
churches from all the mainstream Christian traditions on five continents,
with the major exception of the Roman Catholic Church.

     "The WCC came into existence mainly as a council of European
Protestant churches and then it became a World Council through the
participation of Orthodox churches and [churches of] other regions," Aram
said.  "Fifty years of Orthodox-Protestant ecumenical partnership within
the fellowship of the WCC did not change the Western and Protestant
character of the Council. ... Today almost two-thirds of [WCC's] member
churches come from the South. The Council's ethos, however, remains the
same. The fact is not due so much to Protestant intention to dominate the
Council, but rather to Orthodox reluctance to become fully involved in the
total life and work of the Council and to identify with it."

    He urged the Orthodox churches to stop standing back from the WCC. "If
the Orthodox are seriously committed to transforming the ethos of the
Council, which is the source of some prevailing concerns and tensions, they
have to replace their growing alienation, resignation or indifference by a
critical approach and constructive participation."

    The comments of Catholicos Aram come at a sensitive time for the WCC
because of increasing disquiet among Orthodox churches in Eastern Europe
and the former Soviet Union about some aspects of the WCC's activities and
priorities. Earlier this year the Georgian Orthodox Church withdrew from
the WCC.

    The WCC "must be reshaped in order to provide more space to Orthodox
participation and interaction," Aram said. "We should realize that the
credibility of the ecumenical movement is in question in some regions.
Expressions such as `ecumenism is heresy' or `ecumenism is the betrayal of
Orthodoxy' that we hear in the Orthodox world should not be simply
ignored."

    Catholicos Aram said that the goal of "consensus," long pursued by the
ecumenical movement, had failed, and had not brought about "any change in
the theological teachings and doctrinal positions of the churches."

    "The Council should provide a context where different views interact.
We are not in the WCC because we agree. We are here precisely because we
disagree. We are here to enter together in a learning and sharing process."

    Aram made his comments as the Central Committee prepared to consider a
major restructuring and reform of the World Council of Churches.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>