From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PILP Officials Report Encouraging News

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 25 Sep 1997 09:02:58

23-September-1997
97373

    PILP Officials Report Encouraging News

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--During its board of directors meeting here Sept. 6-7, the
Presbyterian Investment and Loan Program, Inc. (PILP), announced
encouraging news, including a total balance sheet as of July 31, 1997, of
$11,078,251 and a steady increase in the number of loans offered by the
corporation to congregations.

    The Rev. Kenneth G.Y. Grant, PILP president and chief executive
officer, said the corporation presently has approximately $6 million in
loan assets. Additionally, he said the program's 1997 loan underwriting
total is $2,114,000. To date, PILP has committed to nine loans not yet
closed totaling $6,800,000.

    "We have several more loan approvals that are pending and forthcoming,"
said PILP board member and loan committee chair Ray Tanner of Jackson,
Tennessee. Tanner presented a check to PILP for $50,000 from the Presbytery
of Memphis. During PILP's July 13 meeting, Tanner presented a check for
$100,000 from Memphis Presbytery.

    Grant said investments received by PILP now exceed $4.4 million and the
total number of investments has soared beyond 225.

    "Our investors are faithful and committed Christians who want to share
the good news," Grant said. "Each investment helps the PC(USA) grow church
by church, building by building. Each investment improves the probability
that those who have not yet met Jesus Christ will do so."

    In other PILP news, Sarah Jo Sarchet,  PILP's marketing intern, said a
recent focus group indicated that Presbyterians are interested in church
mission and that when this information is communicated properly, excitement
is generated.

     Citing PILP's new Web site as an example, she said computer users
indicated they actually preferred the Web site to PILP's 800 number for
information. The Web site location is http://www.pcusa.org/pilp

    "Our success will ultimately be told in the number of people who commit
to reinvestments," Sarchet said. "But we are very excited about our Web
site statistics."

    Diane Wheeler, PILP marketing director, reported that the PILP display
worked well during the Presbyterian Women's (PW) Gathering in July,
attracting 100 people who took offering circulars. Wheeler reported that
the display will be used further at two church professional meetings and
several presbytery events this fall. Also out of the PW Gathering will come
an article being developed for publication in "HORIZONS" magazine early
next year.

    The next PILP board of directors' meeting is scheduled for November 2,
1997, in Louisville.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>