From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Kenyan Actor-Poet Sings His Nation's Tale of Woe

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 25 Sep 1997 09:03:00

23-September-1997
97362

    Kenyan Actor-Poet Sings His Nation's Tale of Woe

    by Julian Shipp

GENEVA--Blessed with the soul of a poet, the voice of a singer and the
intensity of an actor, Bantu Mwaura is using his theatrical talents to help
raise awareness of the urgent need for political reform of his nation,
Kenya.

    Bantu Mwaura educated -- but also entertained -- the Central Committee
of the World Council of Churches as it met here recently. Through his
voice, his acting, his story-telling  and his personality, Mwaura brought
his culture -- and his cry for action --  to the ecumenical community. As
Mwaura put it, "I speak for hundreds of thousands of Kenyans" through songs
and stories.

    A trained theater artist, Mwaura is a poet, playwright, actor and
director who began performing in Nairobi as a boy. After graduating in 1994
from Kenyatta University, Mwaura taught drama briefly at Loreto High School
in Limuru, Kenya, but stopped teaching shortly afterward and became an
outspoken political activist.

    He told ENI he is now a "freelance theater artist." He is also a member
of Release Political Prisoners (RPP), a group that addresses human rights
issues and puts pressure on the Kenyan government to free those arrested
for their political beliefs.

    A key to Mwaura's presentations is the notion of "Sokoni," a Swahili
word for a marketplace where sellers and buyers come to trade goods that
are typical products of the land. More important, Mwaura said, "Sokoni" is
a place for encounter and exchange, not only of goods, but of ideas and
information. The freedom, warmth and spontaneity of African communication
are the hallmarks of his presentations.

    Articulating this concept, Mwaura recreated the spirit of Sokoni for
the WCC Central Committee members with the sounds of drums, a powerful
speaking voice and dramatic story-telling. His mournful song, "My Eyes Are
Laughing but My Heart Is Crying," brought the daily hardships of the Kenyan
people to the committee and challenged them to commit themselves to action.

    "It is particularly important for me to do more than to entertain; I
wish to link my audiences with the world through `Sokoni,'" Mwaura told ENI
after his presentation. "I was able to tell this through traditional
stories, though in a contemporary format, to many members of the world
religious community."

    Mwaura was himself witness to one of the most dramatic events in
Kenya's recent history when, on July 7 this year, paramilitary police
stormed All Saints Anglican Church in Nairobi to stop a public meeting
called by the National Convention Executive Committee in Kenya and an
independent electoral commission. Among those attacked was Timothy Njoya,
an outspoken pastor of the Presbyterian Church of East Africa (PCEA), who
was severely beaten by riot police. In the aftermath of the storming of the
cathedral, police in many parts of Kenya used tear gas, truncheons, rubber
bullets and live ammunition to break up demonstrations demanding democratic
reform. Ten people were killed in the disturbances.

    "I was a victim because I was in that church when it was attacked,"
Mwaura said. "The desecration of the Anglican church was really the height
of the insolence of [President Daniel arap] Moi's government. In all my art
forms, I describe what I have experienced, what I have seen and what I have
felt."

    Mwaura said the Kenyan government remained extremely oppressive,
maintained colonial-style rule and had not been open to democratic and
multiparty processes. For example, President Moi's government had to be
pressured both at home and abroad to hold its first such election in 1992.
However, Moi won largely because the opposition was divided.

    Over the last few years, the people of Kenya had been calling for
constitutional reforms to allow proper democratic government in a
multiparty system, but President Moi's administration had resisted this
movement.

    "Consequently there has been a lot of violence, a lot of chaos in Kenya
and a lot of people terribly injured and killed," Mwaura said. "This
includes many prominent people in our society."

    Mwaura, who first came into contact with the WCC when he was asked to
introduce "Sokoni" at a major conference organized by the WCC in Nairobi
from January 13 to 19, 1997, told ENI he preferred to be identified as an
ecumenist rather than being affiliated with any particular church or
denomination. "Certainly a lot of water has passed under the bridge in
terms of my religious beliefs," said Mwaura, who was raised as a Roman
Catholic. "At this moment I would not want to identify myself strongly with
any particular church. I find the ecumenical movement a more pliable kind
of movement to align myself with because I think there's more that we can
do when we think of ourselves as people who join up as one and work
together."

    Mwaura acknowledged it would be dangerous for him to return to Kenya
now, but for at least one year he will be out of the country pursuing his
master of theater arts degree at Leeds University in the United Kingdom. He
said the WCC had offered financial assistance for his studies.

    "I'm not going to shy off from fighting for human rights in Kenya and
that's why I'm not afraid," Mwaura said. "I do not know what this will mean
when I go back to Kenya, but that's a bridge that I'll cross when I come to
it."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>