From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Fidelity And Integrity" Amendment Backers Gather

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 29 Sep 1997 04:23:17

26-September-1997
97379

    "Fidelity And Integrity" Amendment Backers Gather

    by Alexa Smith

CHICAGO--Adamant that new constitutional language about standards for
church officers in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)  is graceless and
divisive, 140 backers of a new amendment  revising that language, passed by
the 209 th General Assembly (1997), met last week in Chicago to strategize
how to get it affirmed by the presbyteries.

    Comprising largely "big-steeple" pastors from 42 of the denomination's
173 presbyteries, the gathering was convened by two of the PC(USA)'s former
moderators -- the Rev. John Buchanan of Chicago and the Rev. Robert Bohl of
Prairie Village, Kan. -- to launch the Covenant Network of Presbyterians
(CNP), a group organized solely to support passage of Amendment A.

    Presbyteries will be debating and voting on Amendment A from early
winter until the General Assembly convenes next June in Charlotte, N.C.
This vote is the latest volley in a more than 20-year intrachurch battle
about whether or not to ordain sexually active homosexuals and, more
recently, whether or not to ordain sexually active but unmarried
heterosexuals.  Passed last spring, the current G-6.0106b -- commonly
called Amendment B -- clearly prohibits both.

    But proponents of Amendment A say the debate this time is not about
sexual fidelity as much as it is about fidelity to a theological tradition
that puts grace before judgment and about the unity of an increasingly
fragmented church.  Amendment B, they argue, skews Reformed understandings
of sin, particularly sexual sin, scriptural authority and the role of the
confessions. They also argue that it is divisive to legislate a solution
now to a visceral debate that is so unresolved for many Presbyterians that
succeeding General Assemblies have proposed virtually contradictory
amendments.

    Regional groups met during the Chicago session to strategize how to
make those points in their presbyteries.

    "Amendment A," Buchanan told the Presbyterian News Service, "does not
alter our current policy [about ordination of sexually active homosexuals].
But it does, I think, return our `Book of Order' to its foundation on God's
grace and our respect for one another as brothers and sisters who disagree.

    "We cannot live as a denomination if we have to resolve this one way or
another," he said, describing the fervor of feeling on both sides of the
ordination issue.  "And in the long run, Amendment A gives us a better
chance of holding together, of not driving people out of the church."

    The Rev. Joanna Adams of Decatur, Ga., told of her own struggle to
remain within a church that "does not honor" her children, one of whom is
gay.  "That has probably been the crucible of my life," she said.  "And the
encouragement of my life has been to remember over and over again,
sometimes daily, that long ago there was one who represented the very
Spirit of God who walked among us. ...

    "And he was one who welcomed all children," she said. "He said don't
send them away for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs."

    Concern about divisiveness is how Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church pastor
Eugene Bay tackled pastoral problems that he associates with Amendment B in
the day's opening plenary.   "Amendment A supports peace and unity, not
only for the denomination, but for individuals, congregations and pastors,"
he said.

    "B," he said, is already causing anxiety on nominating committees, who
feel that the `Book of Order' now compels elders to pry into members'
sexual habits before ordaining them. Amendment A, as Bay sees it, calls
members to more accountability for personal morality in "all relationships
of life," not just in sexual ones.

    But the theological integrity of A -- as opposed to B -- is what Bay
argued the most adamantly.  "Sin," he said, alluding to B's delineation of
sin as violations of chastity in singleness and marital fidelity as well as
what the church's confessions list as sins, "is not just about sex or
practices that the confessions call sin.  It is a condition that affects
every one of us ... and we are dependent on God's mercy. ...

    "[That]," he said, "is not mean-spirited or self-righteous."

    Further, Bay said, A restores traditional "Book of Order" language for
church officers, which now requires them to lead lives obedient to
scripture and in conformity to the confessions.  The church, he said, has
previously called officers to lead lives obedient "to Jesus Christ, under
the authority of Scripture, and instructed by the historic confessional
standards of the church."

    Princeton Theological Seminary theologian Jane Dempsey Douglass said
the tension between preserving tradition and remaining open to ongoing
revelation is nothing new within the Reformed tradition.  She said that not
even the 16th-century Reformers grasped the sinful implications of slavery
and the subordination of women that the contemporary church sees now.  "The
church," she said, "must continue to confess its faith anew [as
circumstances change] ... and as our understanding of [faith] grows. ...

    "The Holy Spirit," Douglass said, "is still at work in the world and in
the church.  And through the work of the Holy Spirit scripture is heard and
read and becomes God's Word to us."

    Calling A "eminently Reformed," she said the faithful have always
wrestled with how to live according to the law of God, but not "bound by
the law," for then obedience becomes legalism. Reformed Christians,
Douglass added, must be aware of their own "profound sinfulness" but not
obsessed with it -- recognizing, instead, their reliance on God's mercies.

    "Reformed Christians know that Christ is Lord of all that is -- that no
aspect of our lives is outside the realm of Christ's lordship. Therefore,
we all must undertake with renewed seriousness the call to live disciplined
lives of simplicity, justice, trust, love, transparency -- in our financial
and sexual and professional lives -- all that is meant by fidelity and
integrity," said Douglass, characterizing the breadth of the committed life
that, she believes, is reflected in Amendment A.

    But interpreting what it means to be Reformed -- or what part of the
Reformed tradition gets emphasized -- is another aspect of this
long-standing debate.

    Citing his own "deep reservations that legislation helps us resolve
pastoral problems," Presbyterian Coalition spokesperson the Rev. Jerry
Andrews of Chicago said that the concept of covenant is crucial to his own
understanding of the Reformed faith -- and he has yet to find a model that
could replace the biblical standard of a covenant between a man and a woman
as the fullest expression of human sexuality.

    The Presbyterian Coalition is the organization that worked to pass
Amendment B and is now working to defeat Amendment A.

    Andrews said the denomination needs to address its differences now, not
just search for commonalities.  "It is the differences that are leading
toward division," he said, stressing that no formulation -- B or A -- has
yet brought unity to the PC(USA).  "And I advise we stop this before we
exhaust the alphabet."

    Stated Clerk the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick told CNP that he has seen
gruesome consequences of religious and ethnic conflict in churches around
the world and does not want to see the PC(USA) tear itself apart.  "I am
convinced that in God's time the church will indeed find a greater
understanding of the mind of Christ for the difficult issues surrounding
Amendment A," he said.

    "What I worry about," Kirkpatrick said, "is what shape the church will
be in by the time we reach that understanding together of the mind of
Christ.  When all of this is resolved, will the church be divided? Will so
many have dissented from our constitution that it has little meaning for
our common life together? Will so many have withheld their funds and
created their own organizations in ministry that we no longer will have the
capacity to stand together and witness for God in the world?  I hope not."

    Kirkpatrick said he intended to deliver identical comments to the
Presbyterian Coalition gathering in Dallas, Sept. 29-30.

    Buchanan told the Presbyterian News Service that it is difficult to
continue a responsible dialogue on what faithful sexual behavior means when
Presbyterians on all sides are threatening to quit or withhold money.
"Amendment A, I hope," he said, "will allow important dialogue ... because
whether we want it or not, this conversation will continue -- whoever wins
this round or the next round. ..."

    Bohl told CNP that approximately $105,000 had been raised in the past
five weeks for the group's efforts, with $10,000 each from the
congregations that he and Buchanan serve.  Bohl estimated a total budget of
$200,000.

    CNP executive director Pam Byers of San Francisco told the Presbyterian
News Service that CNP intends to provide information packets and to
coordinate speaking engagements by its national committee members.

    "There really isn't a national strategy," Byers said, after regional
groups met in Chicago.  "It is so local.  It has to be local. ... To the
extent that there is a national strategy, it is that we want people to read
the amendment, think about it and not respond reflexively."

    CNP also distributed organizing suggestions proposing that A backers
identify allies, plan a presbyterywide rally in support of A, activate
phone trees to get out the vote, be prepared for the debate and keep the
tone of the debate civil.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>