From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ENGLAND: BISHOP JOINS WITH MUSLIMS ON PAKISTAN VISIT

From Audrey Whitefield <a.whitefield@quest.org.uk>
Date 29 Sep 1997 10:14:20

Sept. 26, 1997
ANGLICAN COMMUNION NEWS SERVICE
Canon Jim Rosenthal, Director of Communicatons
Anglican Communion Office
London, England

[97.9.4.3]

ENGLAND: BISHOP JOINS WITH MUSLIMS ON PAKISTAN VISIT

(Bradford Diocese) The Bishop of Bradford, the Rt Revd David Smith, will
lead a joint Christian-Muslim visit to Pakistan next month  (October
12-27).

Travelling with the Anglican Bishop will be Ishtiaq Ahmed, Information
Officer for the Bradford Council of Mosques and Director of the Racial
Equality Council in Bradford.

The visit springs from an excellent recent history of cooperation
between Christian and Muslim leaders in Bradford. This was particularly
evident when both leaderships condemned the destruction of the Christian
town of Shanti Nagar in mob violence last February when they wrote
jointly to the Acting High Commissioner for Pakistan

The Christian-Muslim party plans to visit Shanti Nagar and see for
themselves the rebuilding of both the town and community life.  It is
understood that Pakistan government officials will be keen to show the
Bishop how committed they are to repair work following the Bradford
expressions of concern.

"We would like our visit to offer support to the Government of Pakistan
and human rights organisations and reinforce the many existing links
that build mutual understanding," said the Bishop. "Ishtiaq and myself
will also be very willing to share the experience of how Christians and
Muslims have worked together in Bradford.'

The party will also travel to Islamabad, Multan, Mirpur and Lahore.
Visiting Mirpur will give the Bishop first-hand insight into the region
of Pakistan from which many of Bradford's citizens originate.

"I am grateful for the many suggestions about this visit made to me by
members of the Pakistani community both Muslim and Christian and I am
looking forward to seeing how Christian and Muslim communities
co-operate together in Pakistan," said Bishop David.

Ishtiaq Ahmed said: "I am looking forward to joining the Bishop on this
visit.  His decision to go to Pakistan speaks volumes for the strength
of the Muslim-Christian relationship in Bradford, and I am certain that
the visit will help to encourage and consolidate dialogue and
co-operation between the two communities in Pakistan."

Bishop David said:"Whatever out religious differences, which are by no
means trivial, both Ishtiaq and I belong to traditions which emphasise
justice, compassion and peace."

"I believe the exchange of personnel and experience across the
Christian-Muslim world is of paramount importance."