From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC Condemns Kidnapping

From Sheila MESA <smm@wcc-coe.org>
Date 30 Sep 1997 04:35:30

World Council of Churches
Press Release
For Immediate Use

WCC CONDEMNS KIDNAPPING OF RELIEF WORKERS

The World Council of Churches (WCC) has condemned "in the strongest
terms" the actions of gunmen who attacked a relief convoy near
Chechenya and kidnapped two workers employed by the International
Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC).  The workers were completing a
delivery of humanitarian assistance as part of the WCC/Action by
Churches Together relief efforts in the region.

No news has been heard of Dimitri Petrov, aged 33, or Dimitri
Piankowsky, aged 47, since their capture almost two weeks ago on
Saturday, 20 September.  Both are citizens of the Russian Federation
and married, each with one child.  The kidnappings are part of a series in
Chechenya which has affected other humanitarian agencies.

In a 30 September letter to Mr Charles R. Ajalat, Chairman of the IOCC
Board which is based in Baltimore, USA, WCC General Secretary Rev. Dr
Konrad Raiser said the kidnappings "show a contempt for the
outstanding and non-partisan actions of solidarity and commitment which
the IOCC has demonstrated to the Chechen and other peoples who have
suffered during the recent conflict".

The text of Dr Raiser's letter follows:

"On behalf of the World Council of Churches, I am writing to you to
express our deepest concern following the kidnapping of two IOCC relief
workers near Chechenya on 20 September.

The WCC condemns in the strongest terms the actions of the gunmen
who attacked the IOCC relief convoy and took these workers, Dimitri
Petrov and Dimitri Piankowsky, prisoner. We abhor this unprovoked
violence, which shows a contempt for the outstanding and non-partisan
actions of solidarity and commitment which the IOCC has demonstrated
to the Chechen and other peoples who have suffered during the recent
conflict.

The WCC expresses its sincere sympathy with the IOCC and with the
families of the missing workers at this difficult time.  It is our hope and
prayer that the perpetrators of this action may be reached by words of
reason, and that the two co-workers may be released unharmed at the
earliest opportunity.  The WCC, and its emergency response office ACT,
remain available to offer any possible assistance which may contribute
to a rapid solution.

Once again, I assure you of our prayer and expression of solidarity."

**********
The World Council of Churches is a fellowship of churches, now 330, in
more than 100 countries in all continents from virtually all Christian
traditions.  The Roman Catholic Church is not a member church but
works cooperatively with the WCC.  The highest governing body is the
Assembly, which meets approximately every seven years.  The WCC
was formally inaugurated in 1948 in Amsterdam, Netherlands.  Its staff is
headed by general secretary Konrad Raiser from the Evangelical Church
in Germany.

World Council of Churches
Press and Information Office
Tel:  (41.22) 791.61.52/51Fax:  (41.22) 798 13 46
E-Mail: jwn@wcc-coe.org
http://www.wcc-coe.org

P.O. Box 2100
CH-1211 Geneva 2