From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Feedback Is Mixed on Churchwide Study Document

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 02 Nov 1997 05:52:35

21-October-1997
97405

    Feedback Is Mixed on Churchwide
    Study Document on Building Community

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-- Preliminary response to the churchwide study document
"Building Community Among Strangers," prepared by the Task Force on
Building Community Among Strangers of the Advisory Committee on Social
Witness Policy (ACSWP), has been both affirming and critical.

    The task force's purpose is to examine the church's policy base and to
propose new policy to strengthen its capacity to build human community in
the midst of the growing diversity of American society, especially in
metropolitan areas. Since June, 11,000 copies of the 44-page document have
been distributed throughout the church. The document also can be accessed
on the Internet via the denomination's Web site at http://www.pcusa.org

    In every American city, collisions of racial, ethnic, social class,
cultural and religious diversity challenge the church to discover and
foster a new urban ecumenicity -- that is, a way of sharing, working and
living together without hostility. The task force is inviting synod and
presbytery groups, as well as session committees and local church study
groups, to explore the issues contained in the document and respond as they
prepare and propose a policy statement to be presented to the 211th General
Assembly (1999).

    The 14-member task force, chaired by the Rev. Krista Kiger of
Milwaukee, Wis., is using Ephesians 2:19 as its guiding theme: "So then you
are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are citizens with the saints
and also members of the household of God."  According to Kiger, the group's
primary goal is to explore what it means for the church to bear witness to
this message, particularly within the diverse environment of the modern
metropolitan context.

    To that end, some churches and presbyteries have already begun to study
and learn from the document's challenges on community building. For
example, Robert L. Washington, a task force member and a Presbyterian elder
in Teaneck, N.J., said New York City Presbytery has been wrestling with the
issue of community building, both inside and outside the church, for
decades.

    "I think the [document's] affirmation of wanting to have some policy
that stands out and really challenges racism, for example, and states that
`if [racial/ethnic people] are really going to be a part of this church,
then we want to be a part of it not sitting on the back row, but sitting on
the front row,' is outstanding," Washington said. "We talk about diversity
in our presbytery and we are a very diverse group. But I think that's on
paper most of the time, particularly when it comes down to the cultural and
power parts of it, because the people who wield the power are the white
folks. We see this document as playing a large part in changing that
process."

    The Rev. William L. Lytle, a task force member and former moderator of
the 113th General Assembly (1978) of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.,
said Madison Square Presbyterian Church in San Antonio has just finished
reading the study document and the congregation has found it "thought
provoking," particularly the section that lists ways congregations can
reach out to families, individuals and groups to build community.

    "The thing that impresses me is that this document just widens people's
horizons considerably if they'll look at the material," Lytle told the
Presbyterian News Service. "The Bible study material is excellent. There's
ample Bible study material for every one of the five sessions in the study
guide and they're very helpful. It's helping us get folks to think through
the new relationships that are possible today, thanks to the multicultural
situation we're in, and what we as a church can do about it that we're not
doing now."

    But the study document has also drawn criticism. For example, during
the General Assembly Council (GAC) meeting in September, members of the
National Ministries Division (NMD)'s Subcommittee on Evangelism criticized
the document for its depiction of how Christians should live among people
of other faith traditions, its lack of Christocentricity and its use of the
"banquet" metaphor, taken from several biblical passages. Consequently,
subcommittee members agreed that they could not wholeheartedly endorse the
document and moved to address their concerns further during a pending
consultation with ACSWP.

    Similar concerns were also aired in small group conversations during
the "Gathering of Presbyterians II" Sept. 29-30 in Dallas sponsored by the
Presbyterian Coalition. However, the document "Building Community Among
Strangers" was not discussed during the plenary sessions of that meeting,
which focused on strategies to defeat passage of Amendment A, the commonly
called "fidelity and integrity" amendment.

    The Rev. David L. Bleivik of Anchorage, Alaska, a member of the GAC's
Subcommittee on Evangelism, said he is concerned over the process the task
force utilized as it prepared the document, alleging that the task force
demonstrated low or no consideration of the Reformed tradition and the
essence of the Christian faith when drafting it.

    "We don't need things that divide us," Bleivik told the Presbyterian
News Service. "There are some parts of the document I really like, but
unfortunately ... there are at least two parts that are so contrary to
Reformed theology that they accomplish nothing good. [The document] says
things about my Lord which are troublesome."

    That perception of the document apparently is reality for some in the
denomination, but ACSWP and its Task Force on Building Community Among
Strangers are following the social policy development process approved by
the 205th General Assembly (1993) in the policy statement "Why and How the
Church Makes a Social Policy Witness."  Grassroots feedback from the church
is an integral and mandatory part of the information-gathering process
ACSWP follows in drafting its policy statements.

    Meeting in Seattle Oct. 9-12, the task force responded to preliminary
study document feedback in a statement drafted and approved by the task
force. Kiger said the task force intends to look at the manner in which
people live together in the midst of very real differences.

    The statement reads, "The task force reaffirms the confessional stance
of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) that the `risen Christ is the savior
for all [people]. Those joined by him in faith are set right with God and
commissioned to serve as his reconciling community.' (Confession of 1967
9.10). `The same Jesus Christ is the judge of all [people]. His judgment
discloses the ultimate seriousness of life and gives promise of God's final
victory over the power of sin and death. ...' C67 9.11)."

    But the Rev. Jeffrey G. Bridgeman of Solvang, Calif., chair of the
NMD's Subcommittee on Evangelism, said he believes the document also raises
serious concerns about evangelism, although he "strongly supports" its
focus on determining how Christians can live in a "multicultural,
pluralistic, multireligious world.

    "The feeling that I got -- and I think it's supported by particular
statements that they've made in the document -- is [that] for us to get
along with and build community with people of other faiths we have to give
up the essentials of our Christian faith, that Christ is the only means of
salvation," said Bridgeman.

    "I also found that their use of scripture was poor," he said. "This
blessing [cited in the document] in the name of Krishna, Buddha and Gaia.
That's heresy. I believe every race, every tribe, every language will be
present in heaven. But it's going to be every knee bowed in the name of
Jesus and not in the name of Gaia. Krishna doesn't move me to heaven. I
reject that. I feel like it's an uneven document. There's some great pieces
and we want to come alongside and affirm some of these things, but we have
serious questions about what this does in our Reformed understanding of the
gospel."

    Responding to the use of the banquet metaphor, the task force statement
continues, "The task force has pondered the meaning of Jesus' invitations
to strangers of his own time to dine with him. It has reflected that the
great ultimate `supper of the Lamb' (Rev. 19.9) is already anticipated in
the church's present celebration of the Lord's Supper. It has drawn upon
those traditions of Reformed theology which propose analogies between a
democratically organized church and a democratic secular society. It has
seen the `round table' as one model of a public gathering of estranged
persons, and it has proposed the metaphor of a `civic banquet table' in
American society -- made up of persons of many religions, ethnicities and
races -- to which Christians may contribute together with others. The task
force views this as one of many possible images of a multi-religious
American civic society which honors religious liberty and peace among
people of different faiths."

    Kiger said it is also important to remember that the study document is
just that -- a document for the church at large to read, study and respond
to accordingly. It is not to be construed as a social witness policy of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), and nothing in the document can be used to
direct the mission program of the church.

    "Folks in the church just need to realize this is a study document and
the purpose of the study document is to circulate around the larger church
some of the thinking that has surfaced in the work that has gone on in
developing a policy statement," Kiger said. "We are very interested in
getting people's feedback on all aspects of the study document."

    Kiger said the study document contains a "Response Form" for individual
and group evaluation, which will help the task force members shape their
final policy statement. She said task force members are looking for things
both affirmative and negative regarding the study document. The task force
will meet in May 1998 to approve the final draft of the document, which
will then be given to ACSWP. Once ACSWP approves the document, it will be
reviewed during a synod consultation, then sent to the 211th General
Assembly (1999) for action.

    The task force is accepting feedback through Dec. 31, 1998. The study
document is available from Presbyterian Distribution Service as item
#68-600-97-001. To order, call 1-800-524-2612.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>