From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Women of the ELCA Move Foward

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 05 Nov 1997 13:16:40

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

November 6, 1997

WOMEN OF ELCA MOVE FORWARD WITH ANTI-RACISM
COMMITMENT
97-31-090-LA

     ST. LOUIS (ELCA) -- Has Women of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church made an effective
start at becoming an anti-racist organization?
"It's too early to tell," said Inez Torres Davis,
program director for anti-racism and
cross-cultural programming.  "Anti-racism is not
like littering; it is not a behavior to be
changed.  We are at a critical point in our
history.  It can go either way."
     Women of the ELCA took a major step in the
establishment of an anti-racism network in April
1997.  At that time, 98 of the 111 women attending
a churchwide training event made the commitment to
provide anti-racism workshops from coast to coast
and to lend their support to ELCA synods in
their anti-racism efforts.  Both Women of the ELCA
and the church's Commission for Multicultural
Ministries anti-racism efforts with synods are
undergirded by training from the Crossroads
Anti-racism Training Institute.
     In an update to the Women of the ELCA
Executive Board meeting in St.Louis, Oct. 16-19,
Davis and Joan Pope, co-director for anti-racism
programming, responded to a question about the
focus on anti-racism programming.   Davis said,
"'Anti' sounds negative; however, anti-racists
are beautiful!"
     Why not continue to focus on inclusivity?
"If we keep on doing what we've been doing," Davis
said, "we will keep on getting what we are
getting."  The ELCA's 10-year goal of 10 percent
people of color and/or language other than English
by 1998 has not been realized, although there
is an increase from 1.8 to 2.2 percent membership
among this population.
     "We can do cross-cultural programming in a
racist context or in an anti-racist context.  I do
the latter," Davis said.  "Learning about the
cultures of others does not dismantle systems and
structures that keep people of color at the
fringe," Pope said.  "It takes many practical and
small steps."  Those steps include looking at
policies, structures and official documents of the
organization.  The change, Davis and Pope said,
must come from the core and work outward.
     The Women of the ELCA board toured St. Louis
and the Americas Center in preparation for the
organization's Fourth Triennial Convention to be
held there July 8-11, 1999.  The theme for the
work of Women of the ELCA from 1999-2002, to be
launched at the convention, is "Live God's
Justice," based on the biblical text Micah 6:8.
     A new feature of the 1999 convention will be
the introduction of resources and programs for the
triennium, including a three-year cross-cultural
study series.  Participants will return home with
resources in hand and/or program ideas for
carrying out the theme throughout the following
three years.  A Women of Color Gathering will
precede the convention July 5-7 under the Esther
2:2-inspired theme, "For Such a Time As This."
     Catherine I. H. Braasch, the newly-elected
executive director, was installed.  The board
welcomed Eleanore Johnson, Wittenberg, Wis., who
is filling the unexpired term of Marilyn
Sorenson-Bush.  Sorenson-Bush resigned to accept
the position of director for Native American and
Alaska Native ministries and racial justice with
the Commission for Multicultural Ministries.
     Braasch and the Rev. Gregory R. Pile, liaison
from the ELCA's Conference of Bishops and bishop
of the Allegheny Synod, encouraged the board to
explore ways to strengthen relationships with
synod bishops.
     Pile shared his hope that Women of the ELCA
would take the lead in congregations with the
study on economic life prepared by the ELCA
Division for Church in Society.  With the
organization's emphasis on women and children
living in poverty and the "Live God's Justice"
theme for 1999 to 2002, he said, "I want the
church to know that Women of the ELCA has some
materials already in place."
     The board asked Braasch, in response to 1996
Triennial Convention actions referred to them, to
explore establishment and funding for a Disability
Resource Team.
     Braasch reported on the Women of the ELCA's
10th anniversary celebration, noting that the
Creative Works Contest generated more than 500
entries.  Gifts to Katie's Fund, the
newly-established endowment to ensure programming
in global ministries, leadership development and
living theology/growth in faith, exceed $22,000.00
to date, she reported.  Braasch also shared the
staff's programming plan for the 1999-2002
triennium and announced the appointment of Marlene
S. Joseph as associate executive director
effective Nov. 1, 1997.  Joseph currently serves
as director for educational resources.
     Women of the ELCA includes 8,254 member
congregational/intercongregational units in 64
synodical women's organizations.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or
NEWS@ELCA.ORG