From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church leader speaks out against human

From DISCNEWS.parti@ecunet.org (DISCNEWS)
Date 07 Nov 1997 11:45:38

rights violations
Date: November 6, 1997
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the web: http//www.disciples.org

97b-60

    INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- Five years ago the Rev.
Arlindo Marcal helped bring to light human rights
violations in the tiny country of East Timor. Ever
since, he has continued to be a unifying voice for
the Protestant Church of East Timor.

    The religious leader recently was in
Indianapolis, sharing his story with members of
the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). While
at the Disciples Center, Marcal picked up an
"Award of Affirmation," presented to him by the
Common Global Ministries Board during the 1995
General Assembly.

    The award is "given to individuals whose
prophetic witness is a sign of God's reign in the
world," said the Rev. Pat Tucker Spier, president,
Disciples' Division of Overseas Ministries. It
often is given to people "who are in risk-taking
ministries."

    Marcal played "a significant role in giving
voice to the East Timorese Church," Spier said.
"At a significant meeting of the World Council of
Churches in Hong Kong he requested that East Timor
be able to speak for itself rather than being
included in the Indonesian voice."

    As moderator of the Protestant Church of East
Timor, Marcal heads a church comprising both
Timorese and Indonesian members. He is "committed
to the wholeness of the church and keeping it one
body in Christ," said Spier. "His is a difficult
role."

    His country has been wracked by civil war
since being overrun by forces from western
neighbor, Indonesia. The 1975 invasion of his
country forced Marcal into hiding for several
years. He was arrested and threatened with
imminent execution, but was finally released after
months of detention.

    Human rights abuses in East Timor continued
unabated until a 1992 massacre led to the death or
abduction of 270 persons. A U.S. journalist who
happened to be present brought the situation to
the world's attention. Marcal spoke out later in
the year during the World Council of Churches
gathering.

    During his U.S. visit, he said the Disciples
of Christ and other church groups lend important
moral support to their efforts. U.S. church bodies
have helped them "keep our faith and spirit. We
feel we are not alone anymore."

    Marcal also helps U.S. churches figure out
"how we deal with quite different points of view
in our communions," said Spier. The challenge is
"living with integrity but keeping the vision of
one body before us."

    Protestants or Christians are a tiny minority
in East Timor. Most persons still practice the
animist religion. Still others are Muslim
adherents. "We want to be the alternative," Marcal
said.

    Their particular difficulty is in figuring
out "how to speak . . .   how to defend the people
living in this situation," said Marcal. Joining
the Protestant church in that task, however, is
the Catholic Church which condemned the human
rights violations early on. In fact, Catholic
Bishop Carlos Ximenes Belo is one of two Timorese
recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize.

                     - 30 -

DISCNEWS - inbox for Disciples News Service, Office of Communication, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), PO Box 1986 Indianapolis, IN 46206, tele. (317) 635-3100, (DISCNEWS@ecunet.org) Wilma Shuffitt, News and Information Assistant; (CWILLIS@oc.disciples.org) Cliff Willis, Director of News and Information; (CMILLER@oc.disciples.org) Executive Director