From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jackson accepts Washington, D.C.,

From DISCNEWS.parti@ecunet.org (DISCNEWS)
Date 07 Nov 1997 11:45:41

challenge
Date: November 6, 1997
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the web: http//www.disciples.org

97b-61

     INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- Next spring, another
Rev. Jackson is set to "march" on Washington, D.C.
Beginning April 1, the Rev. Alvin O'Neal Jackson
becomes senior minister of the Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ)'s "national cathedral" --
National City Christian Church.

     Leadership changes in congregations
ordinarily don't merit such attention. This one,
however, is different because of the stark
contrasts involved. Jackson currently is senior
pastor of Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church,
a predominantly black congregation in Memphis,
Tenn. The 8,500-member congregation is the largest
in the Disciples of Christ denomination.

     After 18 years, Jackson is leaving a
successful ministry there to assume the leadership
of a predominantly white congregation of 500 or so
in the District of Columbia.

All differences aside -- it's a similar
opportunity to build a new and exciting ministry
that attracts the 47-year-old preacher and
visionary to the district. "I'm excited about the
possibilities there in Washington, D.C.," he said.

     Jackson's call to National City means "we can
have a truly integrated congregation that would
make a wonderful witness in our nation's capital,"
said General Minister and President Richard L.
Hamm. In addition, the congregation "could
increasingly become a force as a social witness on
behalf of the whole Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ) in the nation's capital."

     "I have always wanted to live in that part of
the country," Jackson said. "Upon finishing Butler
(University) I started to go to Andover Newton
(Theological Seminary) but wound up getting
sidetracked." He earned a master of divinity
degree at Duke University Divinity School, Durham,
N.C., and a doctor of ministry from United
Theological Seminary, Dayton, Ohio.

     In addition, his spouse, Tina, "is originally
from Virginia, so we'll be just a few hours from
her home." Other drawing cards include the
opportunity to pursue interests in history and
political science and take part in the numerous
cultural activities available.

     The decision to accept the call to National
City was difficult because of the relationships he
and his family have developed in Memphis over the
years. Nevertheless, the invitation arrived at
what "seemed to be a good time to end ministry
there at Mississippi Boulevard."

                    - more -add 1-1-1/Jackson
Disciples News Service
97b-61

     What particularly convinced the Mississippi
native to accept the National City pulpit was an
opportunity "for building a multicultural ministry
. . .  bringing people together -- black, white
and brown -- from diverse backgrounds to form a
community of faith." The possibility of fulfilling
that goal "in the Disciples' national cathedral is
an exciting prospect that really captivated and
interested me," he said.

     Mississippi Boulevard is at a point where it
needs someone to maintain its current ministry,
according to Jackson. "I see my primary gift and
passion being in the area of building. I'm excited
about getting something started at National City."

     National City Christian Church currently is
83 percent European American and 16 percent
African American and Hispanic. While Jackson's
presence likely will change the racial makeup even
more, he remains committed to ministering to
everyone.

     That will be no easy task in a church with a
significant commuting membership. "I will work to
reach out to all people. And that will be hard
work in Washington, D.C. where most folk drive in
from 30 - 40 minutes away to attend church."

     The hard work ahead also means strengthening
the church's neighborhood ministries and
relationships. "One of the things I see is being a
bit more connected with the immediate area around
the church," Jackson said.

     "Now they have an opportunity to have members
from the suburbs and the urban center -- and
that's a great thing," Hamm said.

     Jackson also will devote time toward getting
acquainted with current members in the new parish.
"There is lots of reclaiming to be done," he said,
citing a concern for members who have become
inactive due to leadership and other changes over
the past few years.

     Besides the focus on the congregation and
immediate community, Jackson also carries a vision
for a truly national presence with him to the D.C.
church. Developing a national presence "is one of
the visions I shared with the congregation," he
said. And the people embraced it "although no one
perhaps is sure what all it will involve."

     Could it become a Disciples version of the
Riverside Church in New York? "Yes, it very well
could be," Jackson said. "I've had extensive
conversations with Jim Forbes and Riverside
definitely is a model for us."

     Riverside Church, is a nationally known
interdenominational church of some 2,500 members,
long recognized for its social witness. The Rev.
James A. Forbes Jr., is the first black senior
pastor of the congregation.

     Jackson's presence in the historic
Washington, D.C., congregation also is a model of
diversity for the remainder of the million-member
Disciples of Christ. "It is a powerful statement
about unity and diversity in the church. This is a
predominantly Anglo church but there are
opportunities there for all persons," he said.

     He now joins a handful of African American
pastors serving European American churches.
Nevertheless, Jackson feels no particular anxiety
about crossing the racial divide. "It's not
anything new for us (African Americans) to be
bicultural," he said. "It's not a major challenge,
nor a stretch for us."

     The denomination's African American
membership has a "special gift to give to the
church." That gift, according to Jackson, is a
different perspective. As a church the Disciples
of Christ have often talked about diversity, while
remaining very Anglo, he said. "This is a chance
to bring another perspective."

                     - 30 -

DISCNEWS - inbox for Disciples News Service, Office of Communication, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), PO Box 1986 Indianapolis, IN 46206, tele. (317) 635-3100, (DISCNEWS@ecunet.org) Wilma Shuffitt, News and Information Assistant; (CWILLIS@oc.disciples.org) Cliff Willis, Director of News and Information; (CMILLER@oc.disciples.org) Executive Director