From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church Leaders Strategize About East Timor

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 07 Nov 1997 13:44:39

Church Leaders Strategize about East Timor
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Internet: wendym@ncccusa.org

Contact: Wendy S. McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227

NCC11/7/97  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CHURCH LEADERS STRATEGIZE ABOUT EAST TIMOR DURING WEEKEND
RETREAT

NEW YORK , Nov. 7 ---- A group of national church leaders
plans to raise the National Council of Churches' (NCC) East
Timor Campaign to a new level in coming months.

The decision to step up their advocacy and education
efforts was reached by a group of approximately 30 church
leaders, denominational representatives, activists and East
Timorese, led by NCC President Melvin G. Talbert, who gathered
for a "National Faith-Based Strategy Retreat on East Timor"
held October 31 to November 2 in Baltimore, Maryland.

"There are a growing number of church leaders developing
a passion about the oppression and injustices suffered by the
people in East Timor and we are refusing to believe we cannot
do anything about it," said Bishop Talbert, a United Methodist
Bishop.  "We believe the United States government is turning a
deaf ear to the East Timorese people's struggle for self-
determination.  Our government is allowing concerns about
corporate investments in Indonesia to take precedence over the
human and civil rights of a suffering people."

The East Timor Campaign of the NCC plans to focus its
platform on four dimensions: coordination and networking among
religious and activist communities, raising the visibility of
the East Timor issue, advocacy with the U.S. government, and
strengthening relationships between the churches in the U.S.
and East Timor.  Bishop Talbert said he and other
denominational leaders will also encourage their own
communions to pass strong resolutions on this issue.  "The
time is right since the NCC's Friendship Press mission study
materials next year will be on Indonesia," he said.

The retreat grew out of a June 1996 NCC Consultation on
East Timor held in New York City.  Additionally, recent
visitors to East Timor, including Bishop Talbert and an NCC
delegation who visited in August, emphasized the worsening
human rights situation, increased pressure on Nobel Peace
Laureate Bishop Belo and the Church, and the pervasive climate
of fear and intimidation faced by the East Timorese on a daily
basis.

Upon his return from East Timor in September, Bishop
Talbert reported, "I was stunned by the obvious oppression of
the people of East Timor.  The Indonesian government, with the
support of its military, is choking the East Timorese to
death."

Indonesia invaded and occupied East Timor starting in
1975, causing the deaths of about 200,000 people, fully a
third of the population.  Retreat participants unanimously
affirmed that human rights issues and NCC advocacy should be
seen in the context of self-determination of the East Timorese
people.

"We have to find a way to keep this issue on the front
burner," Bishop Talbert said.  We want to see the East
Timorese people supported by our churches and our government."

-end-
 -0-