From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Year of Prayer for ELCA Lutheran Youth

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 11 Nov 1997 15:17:16

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

November 11, 1997

YEAR OF PRAYER FOR LUTHERAN YOUTH
97-32-092-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Lutheran Youth
Organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America will pray with the gay, lesbian, bisexual
and transgender community "in our home, church and
world."  The LYO board, meeting here Oct. 31-Nov.
2, acted to establish "A Year of Prayer," a
year-long prayer emphasis for homosexual, bisexual
and transgender youth.
     "The purpose of our prayer will be to ask the
Holy Spirit to inspire youth ministry with the
gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community,"
said David Hansen, Roanoke College, Salem, Va.
"The importance of prayer is always emphasized in
the church.  It is important to emphasize the
power of prayer for this particular ministry," he
said.
     In 1995 the ELCA's Churchwide Assembly
afirmed "that gay and lesbian people, individuals
created by God, are welcome to participate fully
in the life of congregations."
     "People realize that prayer is action.  We
want the church to take action and pray with us,"
said Meredith Lovell, Ellicott City, Md.
     According to the board action, April 29,
1998, will be a day when approximately 500,000
members of LYO and others in the ELCA will be
invited to pray and fast for the "personal and
faith issues facing gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgendered youth."  Planned is an interactive
on-line event, participants will use the Internet
to communicate with each other and invited church
leaders.
     Participants will be encouraged to fast for
24 hours as part of the emphasis.  "Fasting is a
way of showing commitment," said Hansen.  Although
one day has been set aside for prayer and fasting,
youth are called to pray for this ministry from
Nov. 1997 through Oct. 1998, he said.
     The idea for the year-long prayer grew out of
a resolution passed at the Fourth Triennial LYO
Convention in New Orleans this summer.  That
action calls for the LYO board and the church to
"investigate the possibility of planning and
developing a pre-gathering conference for gay,
lesbian and bisexual youth."
     The Rev. Kelly Chatman, ELCA director for
youth ministries, said in an interview, "The year
of prayer is a prelude to a decision on the
conference.  It will be a time of discernment."
     Such a pre-event conference "would provide a
safe place for gay, lesbian and bisexual youth and
offer workshops, keynote addresses and/or
other programs that address the specific personal
and faith issues facing them."
     The LYO convention is held in conjunction
with the ELCA Youth Gathering which brings
together thousands of high-school-age Lutherans
from across the United States and Caribbean.
     In other business the board encouraged the
church to teach what it means to be Lutheran.  "We
as young people need to learn more about
Christianity, Lutheranism and about other
churches, such as the Episcopal Church," said Mary
Elizabeth Pfeiffer, California Lutheran
University, Thousand Oaks, Calif.  "We need to
develop forums for discussion" and make ecumenism
understandable to us, she said.
     "Educating people on the basics of ecumenical
issues can encourage people to understand more
about their own faith," said board member Jay
McDivitt, Loveland, Colo.  We want the ELCA to
know that LYO supports its ecumenical endeavors,
said McDivitt.
     Board members created a "covenant" for their
business and relationships for the next three
years together.   "God did not want to create
puppets," said Rebecca D. Lawrence, Chicago, LYO
president.  "God created humans with their own
free will," she said.
     The board promised to pray; to prohibit
sexual harassment and the illegal use of drugs and
alcohol at LYO meetings and youth gatherings; to
respect all ideas, opinions and diversity of
others; to uplift each other in ministry; and "to
keep the legacy of the Lutheran Youth Organization
going."
     "Faith and God's love is the top and center
of everything we do.  We cannot stand without
faith and God," said Hansen.
     "Each board member has a responsibility to
the organization and the areas in which he or she
serves," said McDivitt.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or
NEWS@ELCA.ORG