From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Board Studies 'Accompaniment'

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 12 Nov 1997 10:19:24

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

November 11, 1997

ELCA GLOBAL MISSION BOARD STUDIES 'ACCOMPANIMENT'
97-32-094-AH

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Board of the Division
for Global Mission of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America discussed future planning at its
meeting here Oct. 23-25.  The jumping-off point
for conversation was a paper entitled,
"Accompaniment of God's Mission: A New Paradigm
for Global Mission in the 21st Century."
     The Rev. Bonnie L. Jensen, executive director
and author of the paper, said 'Accompaniment'
presents "the emerging paradigm for global mission
as we move toward the next century."   The paper
explains that "accompaniment" will take the place
of "partnership," a term "used freely and
comfortably by European and North American
churches and mission agencies."
     Accompaniment is a new term that has emerged
out of Latin America ... which means "walking
together," the paper says.  "Accompaniment
describes various aspects of relationships in
mission.  We accompany God's mission in a certain
place, among certain peoples."
     Jensen stressed "a need to educate members of
the ELCA more fully in the vision and reality of
global mission."  Focus groups indicate that "ELCA
members often describe global mission as it was
half a century ago," she said.
     "It is astounding to think that in the 1950s
our church supported about 25 'mission fields.'
Today the ELCA relates directly to about 70
international Lutheran churches," Jensen said.
     "This reality begs for even more radical
changes in our attitudes and ways of being in
international mission today.  New ecumenical
opportunities and the emergence of
ecumenical/post-denominational churches,
especially in Asia, push us into even greater
creative thinking and listening for the prompting
of the Holy Spirit," Jensen said.
     Jensen explained that ELCA members do not
often see missionaries in their congregations as
they once did -- a function of short home leaves
and the expense of air travel.  This calls for
"adjustment of our mentality and our approach to
communication with ELCA members," she said.
     Jensen reported on progress toward a Global
Educators Network.  "The division continues to
develop the concept of a network of supporters who
can enlarge our response to educational needs
around the world," she said.
     The network would be made up of people
committed to education, both educators and
recruiters, Jensen said.  Help is needed in
recruiting young adults, retired folks, those
interested in early retirement or taking a
sabbatical, she said.
     Involving young adults in teaching abroad
ties the network to the ELCA's Initiatives for a
New Century.  The Rev. Daniel W. Olson will take a
new assignment as director of the Global Educators
Network.  He has served for 15 years as director
for English-speaking West Africa and Southern
Africa.
     The network would assist in raising support
for education efforts, much like the present
global volunteer program, Jensen said.  "More and
more the requests we hear from churches are for
educators with at least a two-year commitment,"
she said.
     Currently the ELCA sends English teachers to
Japan, China and Slovakia.  Jensen is interested
in "teacher training networks though which
teachers can come to the United States from places
like Tanzania."  And there are needs, such as
those in Namibia, for computer training and
library staff, she said.
     The board heard from international
representatives Dr. Mariette Razivelo of the
faculty of Ivory Seminary, the Malagasy Lutheran
Church, and the Rev. Roy K. Thakurdyal, president
of the Lutheran Church in Guyana.
     "Thirty years of crime, corruption and
poverty took its toll on the nation of Guyana,"
Thakurdyal said.  He described ongoing problems of
brain drain, "professionals and skilled people
found it easier to find a place in greener
pastures."  Guyana became a non-entity, the
second-poorest state in the Caribbean, unwanted,"
he said.
     In 1992, with Guyana's first free and fair
elections, things began to change, Thakurdyal
said.  In this context the Lutheran Church in
Guyana carries out its mission and ministry.  "The
population drain continues, but we are a growing
church," he said.
     Despite "closing churches and nonexistent
social ministries," we are surviving, Thakurdyal
said.  "Our vision comes from what is being heard
in the church, a deep yearning to be faithful,
hungering for a more authentic way of being the
church," he said.  We want to be a church free of
hindrances, equipped for mission, standing with
dignity among other churches of the world, he
said.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or
NEWS@ELCA.ORG