From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglo-Vietnamese congregation uses

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 13 Nov 1997 14:01:48

November 13, 1997
Episcopal News Service
Jim Solheim, Director
212-922-5385
ens@ecunet.org

97-2007
Anglo-Vietnamese congregation uses new translation on their bi-cultural
journey

by Sarah Bartenstein
       (ENS) Scores of languages are spoken in Anglican churches
throughout the world, and sometimes more than one language is spoken
within the same liturgy. Translators are not uncommon in church. But St.
Patrick's Episcopal Church in Falls Church, Va. is unique in the entire
Anglican Communion: this bi-lingual, bi-cultural mission of the Diocese
of Virginia is the only Anglo-Vietnamese congregation in the world.
There are other Vietnamese congregations in the Episcopal Church, but
none which consider themselves bi-lingual and bi-cultural.
        At every service held at St. Patrick's, both languages are spoken.
Although some services include more Vietnamese and others more
English, at a minimum the Gospel and the dismissal are said in both
tongues. Sometimes, St. Patrick's two priests, the Rev. James Papile and
the Rev. Tinh Huynh, concelebrate in both languages.
        Naturally, this presents a challenge in a tradition which relies
heavily on the
 Book of Common Prayer. Since St. Patrick's, formerly a predominantly
white parish, became an Anglo-Vietnamese mission in 1994, the
congregation has used weekly worship leaflets which show the
Vietnamese translation of the liturgy. That is, until Huynh and two
parishioners undertook the mammoth task of producing a bi-lingual
service book.
       The simple, attractive, soft-bound book includes the seven
services used most often at St. Patrick's. The English and Vietnamese
versions of the liturgy are placed side-by-side on each page, allowing
worshipers to follow along regardless of what language is being used by
the celebrant, or which language the worshiper speaks.

Accessible service
        "It was something we decided we needed to do," says Papile.
"Since we have always used Vietnamese and English in all our services,
this makes the entire service accessible to everyone, throughout the
whole service."
       Papile credits Huynh with coming up with the idea of the side-by-
side translations. "It was a tremendously difficult and huge job. It's
remarkable that he and a couple members of the congregation were able
to do it."
       Huynh says that he had been translating liturgies, service by
service, as they
were needed. He began with Holy Eucharist, Rite II. Then he needed the
service for Holy Baptism in Vietnamese, so he translated that. Then,
there was a wedding, and so on: "I just added on and added on."
       "I have been doing this for two and one-half years," Huynh says.
"Finally, I sat down for two months to format everything and figure out
a way to balance that in columns."
       He tinkered with font sizes and line spacing, and occasionally
even with the translation itself ("within certain limits," he said) to make
the columns of English and Vietnamese text come out evenly. It was a
challenge, but "I got it in so I am happy," he concludes.

Catechism next project
       Although Huynh did "99 percent" of the work, he has enlisted
help from two Vietnamese parishioners. In both cases, Huynh saw an
opportunity not so much to get their help with the translation as to teach
them about the faith. One was put to work on translating some of the
liturgy "to help him grow and understand the Prayer Book," says Huynh.
Another is now working on translating the Catechism.
       Papile notes, "We were able to print this through the largesse of
the Trinity Grants Program. He explains that St. Patrick's is using the
three-year grant "for many things that pertain to the bi-cultural nature of
our community. For example, we were able to buy many of the materials
for our bi-cultural Sunday school through this grant. Many of the
physical aspects of our service are both American and Vietnamese, and
we are using some of the grant money to buy Vietnamese altar hangings.
We also hope to print Vietnamese translations of some hymns."
       Papile says that the bi-lingual service book has caught the
attention of the Rev. Winston Ching, of the Asia-America desk at the
Episcopal Church Center in New York, as well as two Vietnamese
congregations in Southern California. According to Papile, "Tinh will be
working with the priests in those congregations and their input will be
important in any revisions" to the service book.
       At St. Patrick's, the response has been overwhelmingly positive.
Papile notes, "Even though the English-speaking members of the church
could use the Book of Common Prayer to follow along, many people
now use the bilingual service book. There's real meaning in having in
your hands the bilingual version.
       "People love it," Papile says.
       Huynh says, "The Anglos like it, and the Vietnamese find it very
convenient." They used the booklet last Sunday during a service
concelebrated in both languages, and Huynh noticed "more response
from the Vietnamese members."
        "It went very well and I feel very blessed."

--Sarah Bartenstein is executive for communications in the Diocese of
Virginia.