From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

1997 Christmas Message of the Archb

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 13 Nov 1997 14:01:50

November 13, 1997
Episcopal News Service
Jim Solheim, Director
212-922-5385
ens@ecunet.org

97-2009
1997 Christmas Message of the Archbishop of Canterbury to the
Anglican Communion

Dear friends of the Anglican Communion,

       One of my all time favorite Christmas stories is Charles Dickens
A Christmas Carol. You will know it so well that it is hardly necessary
to repeat the story. It is a real heart-tugger as the selfish old skinflint,
Scrooge, is shown the truth about how  so much of humanity lives with
suffering and discovers the joy of sharing his wealth. It would be a
mistake, however, to see it only as Scrooge learning to give. The story is
also about him learning to receive. I don't believe, you see, that Scrooge
was totally bad. He believed in hard work and he had had many
disappointments in earlier life. But over the years he became hardened to
the struggles of others and indifferent to their needs. As he withdrew
from others he failed to see that he was shrinking inside and that his
capacity to love, which is the essence of humanity, was dying. He lost
the ability to see the beauty of others and the joy of receiving love from
others. Surely, there cannot be a more perfect ending to a story than
when Scrooge is moved to mark Christmas by meeting the needs of Bob
Cratchett's family and Tiny Tim in particular. As he gives, so he
receives in seeing the obvious delight of that unfortunate family.
       We too know the pleasure of giving at Christmas. How we rejoice
as we see the gratitude of our family and friends as they open the
presents we give them. It doesn't have to be much to give real pleasure
to people. `It is the thought that counts' we often say and it is true.
Giving is a truly ennobling thing and speaks of the character of God
himself in his total and unconditional love for Creation.
       God's gift of Christ is, of course, central to all our Christmas
celebrations. How God, too, rejoices as he sees his precious gift of love
changing us. The challenge of Christmas for us, as we seek to respond to
God's gift, is whether we are able to receive him afresh, to allow
ourselves to be open to the promptings of the Spirit, rather than turning
in on ourselves and closing off from God in a Scrooge-like defensiveness
and selfishness.
       The gifts which will be brought to the Lambeth Conference next
year will be many and diverse. We all bring something from our own
experience, our own journey of discipleship, and that of the churches in
which we serve, which will enrich the conference. All of us have stories
to tell. It is one of the greatest privileges of my ministry, as I travel
round the Communion each year, to see and hear those stories in action,
whether in Australia, Jerusalem or Pakistan. The days are long gone
when our gathering was
dominated by the `richer' provinces lecturing and giving to the `poorer'.
The richness of the ministry and mission of the Anglican Communion
today can be seen in every single province. Certainly, some places may
be richer in the materialistic sense of the word, but the riches of faith,
joy and vitality that are winning so many new souls for Christ today are
not
controlled by money. Many of us can only sit back in admiration at the
stories of church growth in so many places where material poverty is so
rife. The Gospel, faithfully preached and lived, transcends such human
divisions, and we must learn that message.
       I have a dream for Lambeth 1998 that I want to share with you.
My dream
is that our gathering in Canterbury will be truly infused by faith and joy
and vitality; that the true spirit of Christmas, of God's giving and our
receiving of the gift of Jesus Christ, will transfigure the conference, so
that whatever tensions and divisions we have to face, our life of
discipleship and witness will be strengthened by the experience of being,
talking and worshipping together.
       I hope that every bishop and his or her spouse will come prepared
to give,
to share their story. Some will bring gifts of mission, liturgy, faith
learned through persecution and suffering, scholarship, leadership and
pastoral oversight. I have no doubt that we shall all be truly blessed by
the huge range of gifts which we will bring.
       But part of my dream is also of each person coming to receive--to
receive
from the insights and giftedness of others, to hear the stories which
others have to tell, to enter into the extraordinary and unique experiences
which have molded each of us on our path of discipleship. It will be
shameful if people come simply with their own agendas to `force' others
accept their point of view. That's not true giving; that's dictatorship.
The conference will only be a success if we come in a spirit of humility,
eager to embrace one another as fellow disciples and pilgrims.
       We shall all be on trial next year as the world around us watches
to see if
we are prepared to put our own interests second to the primary task of
sharing the Gospel and building the common life of our Communion.
Among the
criteria that others shall judge us by will be:

 Our willingness to receive and learn from those bishops whose churches
are growing, so that we may become a truly missionary Communion,
developing
confidence in mission and evangelism.

þ Our commitment to dynamic Christian social action and ministry to the
marginalized and needy people of our world, who themselves have so
much to teach us.

þ Our willingness as leaders to recognize the brokenness of our world,
to embrace the diversity of humanity and to search constantly for what
binds us together in spite of
our different cultures, languages and backgrounds.

þ Our willingness as leaders to accept sacrifice as a precondition of
leadership and to serve
our people wholeheartedly, looking always to Christ as the 'pioneer and
perfecter of our faith.

       I have to confess that there is a Scrooge in me that wants to
protect all that I hold dear, to defend myself from the insights and
challenges of even my companions in faith. Equally, however, I hope the
Christ in me is constantly challenging this instinct, prompting me to
listen to what they have to teach me and to receive and surrender to their
wisdom. I hope he prompts us all to offer ourselves in willing surrender
to others.
       As we approach the Lambeth Conference 1998 we should recall
that the Anglican Communion itself is a precious gift to the rest of the
Christian world. And as we learn to give so our Lord will help us to
receive.
       As an English bishop wrote not so long ago, "No Christian
preaches the Gospel on the basis of being a good advertisement for it,
but only on the basis of being totally dependent on the love and power of
God to take him or her forward."
       Perhaps Christina Rossetti's poem puts it even better:

       What can I give him poor as I am?
       If I were a shepherd I would bring a lamb,
       If I were a wise man I would do my part,
       yet what I can I give him,
       Give my heart.

       Eileen joins me in wishing each of you, our dear friends, a most
happy and joyful Christmas and a Happy New Year.

+ George Cantuar

 (The Most Rev. and Rt. Hon. George L. Carey)