From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Apartheid Refugee to Return Home

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 14 Nov 1997 12:58:17

4-November-1997
97422

    Apartheid Refugee to Return Home to Run
    South African Council of Churches

    by Bruce Best and Noel Bruyns
    Ecumenical News International

MELBOURNE, Australia--A Uniting Church in Australia (UCA) minister now
working as a high school chaplain in Melbourne will, beginning in February
1998, become general secretary of the South African Council of Churches
(SACC).

    Taking the job will mean going home for Charity Majiza. In 1978 she was
the first woman ordained to the ministry of the Reformed Presbyterian
Church in Southern Africa.  She has been a UCA minister ever since 1984,
when she arrived in Australia. Majiza left South Africa in 1980 and went to
Edinburgh, Scotland, where she undertook postgraduate studies and part-time
parish work.  In 1984 she felt unable to go back home, largely because of
her outspokenness  about apartheid, so she moved to Australia instead.

    In South Africa she will head up a council she believes is going
through big change. "The energies of SACC for 30 years until 1994 were
channeled toward the dismantling of apartheid," she told ENI.  "Now the
agenda is reconciliation and reconstruction.  We're talking about people's
lives here, not just the physical reconstruction of the country."

    "I will miss Australia," she said. "And I am proud to be a Uniting
Church minister, because this church is so much at the forefront of
tackling issues in the community.  My experience in the UCA is an important
part of the resource I'll take with me." The UCA is Australia's
third-largest church.

    Part of that Australian experience she values is the acknowledged role
of ordained women in the decisions of the church.  Women were "still not
quite visible in the structures of the church" in South Africa, she told
ENI. She also learned what it was like to be part of a church still
learning to unite -- the three churches which formed the UCA came together
in 1977, just seven years before she arrived.  She said that experience
would be important to her work in helping to rebuild the links between
churches in South Africa.

    As she takes up her new post, some "reconstruction" will also be going
on in her own life.  In January, she will marry Australian businessman
Graeme McKenzie in Sydney. They first met 15 years ago when they were
studying theology in Edinburgh.  Now they will be able to live openly in
South Africa as a mixed-race couple.

    "After 1994 they all came out of the woodwork.  There are now many
couples like us,"  Majiza said.  Their marriage ceremony will be performed
on Jan. 17 by Dorothy McRae McMahon, a prominent Uniting Church minister
and the church's former national mission director.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>