From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Welfare Consultation Participants Hear Firsthand Stories

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 14 Nov 1997 12:58:20

4-November-1997
97426

    Welfare Consultation Participants
    Hear Firsthand Stories

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Jan Nontell, who describes herself as "a Presbyterian in
poverty," freely admits that "bad decisions" landed her in the federal
welfare system.  The problem, she quickly adds, is that "the welfare check
is only enough to dig yourself deeper."

    When more than 200 Presbyterians gathered here Nov. 1-3 for a national
consultation entitled "Service and Advocacy Ministry in the New Welfare
Reality," they were joined by an invited group of participants who told
them firsthand about that new reality.

    And those, like Nontell, who have experienced the dehumanizing effects
of the federal welfare system had some pointed words for Presbyterians.

    "We need to be valued for our individualism and uniqueness," Nontell
said, "not stereotyped or patronized."  She described the role of the
church in relationship to welfare recipients who are trying -- and now,
with the replacement of welfare by "workfare," are required -- to get off
welfare as "coming along beside us."

    Linda Meeghan of Fayetteville, N.C., a mother of two adult children who
went on welfare after a divorce, said, "All we need is a hand up --
direction, not charity."  Meeghan, a college graduate who struggles to
"make it" as a substitute schoolteacher, said, "A lot of the time, I just
don't know which way to go."

    Laura Jones, another college graduate who went on welfare after her
husband left her following the birth of their child, agreed.  "I'm doing
okay now because I trust in the Lord," she said.  "But we need to be taught
how to make it -- self-esteem is the key, because we face humiliation on a
daily basis."

    Nontell told of a group of women in her home state of Washington called
"the shadow ladies" because they did their grocery shopping at 3:00 a.m. to
avoid the judgmental looks and comments of other shoppers when they paid
with food stamps.  "We had to do it to avoid the pain -- it hurts, and the
church shouldn't be contributing to it," she said.

    "The church has power," Nontell continued.  "Use it -- establish
transportation services, child care, mentoring programs."  She said she got
off welfare only because "somebody in the church took an interest in me and
gave me hope."

    Nontell is active in the Presbyterian Church, serving as a Sunday
school teacher in her congregation in Centralia, Wash.  She's on the
evangelism committee and serves on Olympia Presbytery's Social Concerns
Committee as well as being the presbytery's hunger action enabler.  But it
wasn't always that way, she added.

    "When I showed up in poverty and on welfare, the pastor at the time
told me I was only good for pouring coffee.  Well, he's gone and I'm still
there."

    The invited participants are proud of their successful struggles to
escape the welfare snare.  "People who have gotten off welfare are bigger
winners than anyone anywhere," said Tumiko Wynn, a 20-year-old mother from
Atlanta.

    Jones, who now works for a nonprofit antipoverty agency in Georgia,
agreed:  "I'm off welfare, I'm proud and I'm blessed."

    But for the millions of Americans living in or near poverty, the
struggle never ends.  "At $4.95 an hour [minimum wage], there's not much
leeway for error," said Nontell.  "As you come alongside us," she told the
consultation participants, "be patient.  Mere survival takes a lot of
energy and even small steps are tough."

    Most of all, she concluded, those who would contribute to the solution
of the welfare mess in the U.S. must not be afraid to deal with the painful
realities of poverty and hunger in America.  "Let the pain pull you closer
to those who need your company," Nontell said.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>