From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Panelists Discuss Effects of Welfare

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 14 Nov 1997 12:58:23

4-November-1997
97425

    Panelists Discuss Effects of
    Welfare  From Many Perspectives

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--During a General Assembly Council-sponsored national
consultation on welfare reform here Nov. 1-3, panelists discussed the
effects of federal welfare from many perspectives -- including through the
eyes of a former welfare recipient and those of an immigrant.

    Linda Jones of the Episcopal Housing Ministry of Greensboro, N.C., said
she is a mother of three children, a former homeless person and a welfare
recipient. Jones, who is also an African American, told meeting
participants of the indignities of the welfare system, particularly how her
self- esteem and personal dignity suffered tremendously as a result of
receiving food stamps and other federal subsidies.

    "I hated myself because I would look at my kids and I knew they
deserved better than this," Jones said. "Poverty is bad in America and as
far as I am concerned, it is a form of violence."

    With new welfare reform laws giving states responsibility for welfare,
hundreds of thousands of people are pondering how they will be affected.
Government leaders have also been criticized by mainline denominations,
including the PC(USA), for calling upon churches to increase their
responsibilities to the poor and the marginalized in the midst of welfare
reform.

    Jones said that while she is grateful for the welfare assistance she
once received, America has "lost touch with its communities," and that
denying or neglecting opportunities for people to find good work only
hinders their fulfillment and increases their suffering.

    "It's all about self in this country," Jones said. "All about making
more money, getting a new car and buying designer clothing. But when
[human] dignity is lost, violence is the inevitable result. We've got to
get it back. Whatever it takes to mend the wings of the poor and give them
back their wings, we need to give them back their dignity."

    With the official national unemployment rate holding at less than 5
percent -- well under the 6 percent unemployment rate that standard
economic logic assumes to be normal and necessary -- it might seem a
strange time for many to worry about jobs. However, according to the Rev.
Walter L. Owensby, associate for economic justice, Middle East and Latin
issues for the Presbyterian Washington Office, for many working people the
good times aren't quite what they seem.

    That's because for more than a decade American business has focused on
cost cutting, including job cutting, as necessary to achieve greater worker
productivity and larger profit margins. Economist Stephen Roach of Morgan
Stanley Dean Witter calls it "a labor-crunch recovery -- one that
flourishes only because corporate America puts unrelenting pressure on its
workforce" ("New York Times," Aug. 25, 1997).

    "Thanks mainly to six years of economic expansion, U.S. unemployment
rolls have shrunk, but jobs and work are still a problem," Owensby told the
Presbyterian News Service. "Officially, 6.8 million people remain jobless.
If those who are so discouraged they have stopped looking for work are
counted, the figure is much higher. And, as always, unemployment for
minorities is more than twice as high [as that] for the white/Anglo
population."

    Indeed, answering the question "How did we arrive at the new welfare
reality?" is a complex undertaking, but it most certainly stemmed from a
strong desire to change the old federal welfare system, since no one -- not
even the majority of welfare recipients -- liked it.

    Nam Phoung Thai, community outreach worker for the Northern California
Coalition for Immigrant Rights (NCCR), said one of the most common
misconceptions most people have of welfare is that undocumented foreigners
in this country are responsible for "abusing" government social services,
when in fact, Thai said, "these people are not even receiving welfare
assistance."

    Thai said untruths like that contributed to the passage of Section
245(I), a provision of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) that
permits immigrants who are eligible for employer- or family-based residency
visas to adjust their status in the United States instead of having to
return to their country of origin to do so.

    Phoung said 245(I) was scheduled to sunset on Sept. 30, 1997, but has
twice been extended to date as part of a broad Continuing Resolution. While
the Senate has passed a permanent extension of Section 245(I) as part of
the FY '98 Commerce, Justice, State, and Judiciary (CJS) appropriations
bill, the House has not. While a House-Senate Conference Committee is
scheduled to decide the fate of 245(I) in the near future, Phoung said,
NCCR is concerned, because if the measure is not extended, thousands of
families could be torn apart and employees could lose their jobs.

    But there are things panelists said individuals and local churches can
do to help as states implement "welfare-to-work" legislation, among them:

    *  Advocate policies with state officials. Start a church
       letter-writing campaign; visit state representatives.
    *  Help organize your municipal government to press policies on the
       state government.
    *  Help organize welfare families, the unemployed and low-wage workers
       to speak for themselves as state government considers its welfare
       policies.
    *  Make sure that the religious- and community-based food pantries,
       feeding programs and shelters are prepared for possible increased
       need in the event of an economic downturn.
    *  See that church and community job training and job-preparedness
       programs are well integrated with state programs.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>