From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Greater Flexibility Sought to Encourage Immigrant Church Growth

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 14 Nov 1997 12:58:27

4-November-1997
97414

    Greater Flexibility Sought to Encourage
    Immigrant Church Growth

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--A largely Brazilian coalition within the denomination's
Hispanic caucus is pushing for more flexible interpretation of church
polity so that immigrant congregations can be established more easily
within the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A).

    The group may recommend changes to chartering provisions in
presbyteries and even to the "Book of Order" so that ethnic churches may
start up more quickly and with fewer costs. The coalition's  goal is the
chartering of 15 new Brazilian or Portuguese-language churches in the
United States by the turn of the century.

    A task force is studying how to develop more U.S. Brazilian churches
and how to make recommendations for starting ethnic churches that will go
to the next General Assembly as part of the denomination's strategy to
increase racial/ethnic membership in the PC(USA) to 20 percent of the
church's total membership by the year 2010.

    "Those [presbytery and `Book of Order'] requirements can be a strong
barrier to ethnic [church] development," said the Rev. Elias Dantos, a
Brazilian pastor who is part of a one-year church-planting project in
Ontario, Calif., and part of the coalition's task force to study planting
Brazilian churches in the United States.  "We need to change the `Book of
Order' to be more flexible.

    "Perhaps ... to facilitate the process [we need] a special chapter
dealing with ethnic churches.  And then," he said, citing differences in
Anglo and Latino worship styles, "we need [more] cultural sensitivity
between Anglo Presbyterian churches and other cultures' Presbyterian
churches."

    Specific hindrances to ethnic congregational development, according to
the 15 Brazilian pastors who met here last week, vary presbytery to
presbytery since chartering criteria change.  But some of those hindrances
include

    *  minimum salary and pension packages mandated for pastors by
       presbyteries that immigrant groups often cannot afford, with the
       added costs of bringing a Portuguese-speaking pastor here from
       Brazil or Portugal
    *  presbytery requirements that anywhere from 75 to 150 adult
       communicants are necessary to organize a new church, figures some
       immigrants call too high
    *  already ordained Presbyterian pastors who are immigrants but cannot
       be full members of presbytery until their church is fully organized
    *  the lack of provisions in the "Book of Order" for ethnic fellowships
       and their resultant inability to baptize or serve Communion though
       some groups have been meeting for years, since there is no session
       and no officially called minister
    *  the need to be financially self-sufficient to be chartered as a
       church, when financial stability is the toughest problem facing many
       immigrants who are working low-paying jobs.

    "You almost have to gerry-rig the structure," said the Rev. Roger
Richardson of Central Florida Presbytery, where a presbytery commission is
working now to validate baptisms, minutes and other actions of an 80-member
fellowship of Brazilian Presbyterians that is seeking a PC(USA) charter
after meeting for more than six years.

    "We're just doing it. You need vision and understanding.  If we
conducted ourselves by the book, we'd be in trouble," said Richardson, who
is quick to point out that it isn't legalism that helps ethnic
congregations establish themselves.

    But numerous racial/ethnic constituencies perceive the slow organizing
process outlined in the "Book of Order" as a kind of legalism that runs
counter to how they would develop a church.  And the Brazilian coalition is
no different, members reporting encounters with what they describe as a
ponderous bureaucracy that slows rather than stimulates church growth.

    "Brazilian culture is more informal.  American culture is focused on
the fine points.  Rules matter," said the Rev. Silas Pinto of Wheaton,
Ill., who believes that this year's "Year with Latin Americans" observance
is a "kairos" time for Presbyterians to not only reach Latinos, but to
embrace Brazilians like Pinto, who are already born-and-bred Presbyterians.

    "We are talking here reverse mission," Pinto said. "The Presbyterians
came to Brazil 100 years ago ... and now you have a sizable
Portuguese-speaking community in the United States.  Recognize them.
Empower them.  Plant churches in Portuguese-speaking communities."

    That's also the feeling of elder Reuben Oliveria of St. Paul's
Presbyterian Church in Newark, N.J., a 250-member Portuguese-language
congregation that has been ministering for more than 68 years in an area
into which Brazilians still immigrate in high numbers.  "There's room for
more churches here -- no question about it," said Oliveria, who is
frustrated at the quick start-ups that Pentecostal and even Presbyterian
Church in America (PCA) congregations are able to effect in the New York
metropolitan area.  "But again, you have to make [it] much easier to start
[them]. ...

    "There are more than 10,000 Brazilian Pentecostals in New Jersey," he
said.  "The point is they could be PC(USA)."

    One of the ironies in this whole debate is that the PC(USA) began its
mission in Brazil in 1863 -- opening a church with only three members.
Currently, the Presbyterian Church of Brazil has more than one million
members.  And the Independent Presbyterian Church of Brazil, which is a
mission partner of the PC(USA), currently reports 434 existing churches and
400 new church development sites.  A third Presbyterian denomination in
that country, the United Presbyterian Church, estimates its membership at
around 2,000.

    "So many of these immigrants are Presbyterians," said the Rev. Eriberto
Soto, the Worldwide Ministries Division's liaison to Brazil, who stresses
that they, like many immigrants,  legal and illegal, are consigned to
low-paying, high-stress jobs while making the transition to another country
and culture.

    "These people have a lot of spiritual needs," said Soto. "And they're
getting together already. But they can't afford to pay pastors the salaries
we demand.  This new church development jazz is not practical.  They have
immediate needs."

    PC(USA) evanglism and church development associate director the Rev.
Rosalie Potter told the Presbyterian News Service that several of the
nearly 10 existing Brazilian fellowships are nesting in Presbyterian
congregations here -- and have chosen to do so because of ecclesiatical
ties and because of the pragmatic kinds of help in Christian education and
in English language skills that come with close contact.

    "They have good self-identity" she said, "but they want a Presbyterian
church and they need it in Portuguese."

    Potter said that racial/ethnic churches are growing within the PC(USA)
and that the denomination's Korean caucus has committed to beginning 200
more new churches in the next 10 years, adding to the 309 existing
congregations.  She said there are now 19 Japanese, 35 Taiwanese, two
Cambodian, seven Laotian, three Thai, three Vietnamese, and nine Filipino
congregations.  Newark has the only chartered Brazilian congregation.  "We
have Syrian churches, Iranian churches, Arabic- speaking churches. ...  And
as we move into the next 12 years, racial/ethnic churches are going to be
one considerable group. ...

    "Everyone coming out of Sudan is Presbyterian," she said, adding that
nearly 12 Sudanese fellowships are developing around the United States.
"We need to be proud of what the missionaries have done.  But the work
isn't done. ...

    "It's a long process," Potter said, reflecting on the cultural
adaptations needed in Anglo churches for what is now a multicultured
Presbyterianism.  "And it doesn't happen easily."

    Pinto is much more forthright. "This is still a very white homogeneous
denomination and that should be an embarrassment for us.  In the next 40
years, 50 percent of the U.S. population will be minorities.  Something,"
he said, of the PC(USA)'s current racial profile, "is not right.  We need
to reinvent mission.  We need to make a paradigm shift in the way we do
church in the PC(USA)."

    Dantos is a firm believer that 15 Brazilian congregations will be
chartered within the PC(USA) within the next 15 years.  "We already have
eight to ten existing fellowships that are ready to come under the umbrella
of the PC(USA).  There are two million Portuguese-speaking people in the
United States -- and most are unchurched.

    "This is a great mission field," he said. "Year by year, it is growing,
growing, growing."

    Acknowledging that recent amendments to the "Book of Order" expanding
the responsibilities of commissioned lay pastors will help ethnic
congregations get established, Amal Marks of the denomination's evangelism
staff agrees that more has to be done.  "We have to open our churches.  We
have to welcome them.  The sooner we welcome them, the better for us.

    "Every time we delay," she said, "they go to another denomination."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>