From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Newsline - Church of the Brethren weekly news update

From Church of the Brethren News Services
Date 21 Nov 1997 09:22:46

Date:      Nov. 21, 1997
Contact:  Nevin Dulabaum
V:  847/742-5100   F:  847/742-6103
E-MAIL:   CoBNews@AOL.Com

Newsline                                     Nov. 21, 1997

News
1) More than 600 people were arrested Sunday, including some
     Brethren, at a demonstration against the U.S. School of the
     Americas.
2) Forty-one church camp directors, administrators and board
     members will attend a national camping conference this
     weekend in Maryland.
3) Members of the NCC, including the Church of the Brethren, urge
     President Clinton to participate in the historic land mine
     treaty to be signed in early December.
4) A free video pertaining to land mines is available from Church
     World Service.
5) The NCC's General Assembly convened last week for its annual
     meeting.
6) A new Brethren environmental task group meets for the first
     time.
7) John Thomas Sr. is appointed interim executive of Southern
     Plains District.
8) Lee Yoder resigns as Bridgewater (Va.) College's dean of
     Academic Affairs.
9) The Clinton Administration promises to facilitate discussions
     pertaining to Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fund legislation.
10) The tenth annual Living Gift Market for Heifer Project
     International, held Saturday in North Manchester, Ind.,
     raised $9,700.

Feature
11) On Sunday four Brethren crossed into Fort Benning to protest
     the School of the Americas, knowing that they would be
     arrested. Shelly Ungemach of the Palmyra (Pa.) Church of the
     Brethren was one of those four. She describes her
     experience.

1) At least four Brethren were among the 601 protesters who were
arrested Sunday at Fort Benning in Columbus, Ga., after marching
two miles into the base to oppose the continued operation of the
School of the Americas (SOA). SOA graduates have been cited
repeatedly for crimes involving kidnaping, murder, torture and
extortion.

Sunday marked the anniversary of the assassination of six Jesuit
priests and their two women co-workers at the University of
Central America in San Salvador, El Salvador. Nineteen of the 26
military officers cited for this assassination were SOA
graduates.

Organized in a solemn funeral procession that crossed onto
government property, some protesters acted as pallbearers for
coffins filled with 100,000 signatures that called for the
closing of the SOA. The remaining protesters who crossed the line
walked two by two behind the coffins: They carried crosses that
bore the names of people who have died at the hands of SOA
graduates. Other vigil participants who did not cross the line
brought the total in attendance to an estimated 2,500, five times
more than in 1996.

Vigil participants agreed to act nonviolently, speaking these
commitments in unison:
*We will harbor no anger, but suffer the anger of the opponent.
*We will refuse to return the assaults, verbal or physical, of
     the opponent.
*We will refrain from insults and swearing.
*We will protect opponents from insults or attack.
*If arrested, we will behave in an exemplary manner. We will not
     evade the legal consequences of our actions.
*As members of a nonviolent demonstration, we will follow the
     directions of the designated coordinators; in the event of a
     serious disagreement, we will remove ourselves from the
     action.
*Our attitude as conveyed through words, symbols and actions will
     be one of openness, friendliness and respect toward all
     people we encounter, including police officers and workers.
*We will not damage property.
*We will not bring or use drugs or alcohol.
*We will not run or use threatening motions.
*We will carry no weapons.
(The term "opponent" was meant to indicate opposite in beliefs,
     not "enemy.")

Brethren known to have marched into the base were Ken Brown,
Shelly Ungemach, Nathan Musselman, Yvonne Dilling and Raenya
Burkhart, a Brethren Volunteer Service worker. They and the other
"line crossers" were arrested in violation of a U.S. code that
requires military bases to be free of political activity.
Following their arrest, they received letters barring them from
the base. Of the 601 line crossers, 28 repeat offenders on
Wednesday had to appear in court, facing up to 6 months in prison
for breaking their barred entry.

About 30 other Church of the Brethren members in attendance drove
from Bethany Theological Seminary, Richmond, Ind.; Manchester
College, North Manchester, Ind.; and Eastern Mennonite
University, Harrisonburg, Va.  "We can see parallels between
these commitments and the commitment Christ made to a peaceful
way of life," said Heather Nolen, director of the Church of the
Brethren Washington Office. "Christ encourages his followers to
refrain from retaliation in Luke 6:27-29, which was cited in the
1996 Annual Conference paper titled "Nonviolence and Humanitarian
Intervention." ("But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies,
do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray
for those who abuse you. If anyone strikes you on the cheek,
offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do
not withhold even your shirt.")

Putting their faith in action is why Brethren and others
participated in the protest, Nolen said, an action that was in
concert with the Church of the Brethren General Board's
resolution calling for the closing of the SOA. This resolution
was approved in July. Through their action, Brethren are hoping
to bring more attention to the atrocities attributed to SOA
graduates. SOA alumni include Manuel Noriega; 10 of the 12 men
cited for the El Mozote massacre of over 900 civilians; two of
the three officers cited for the assassination of Archbishop
Oscar Romero; 100 of the 246 officers cited for war crimes in
Colombia by an international tribunal in 1993; Guatemalan general
Hector Gramajo who is responsible for the murder and displacement
of thousands of Guatemalans; and three Peruvian officers
convicted of murdering nine university students and a professor
in 1994.

After the protesters crossed the line, SOA officials organized a
press conference with Roy Trumble, SOA commandant. Trumble took
issue with the religious motivation of the vigil, stating to
International News Services, "This is not a religious issue. It's
not a moral issue. This is a political issue and it will be
decided by our own politicians. I certainly hope that the school
is not closed down as a result of what I think is an ill-directed
movement against the school."

An attempt to close the school by cutting funds came close to
passing in the U.S. House in September -- 210 to 217, Nolen said.
She added that SOA Watch, the organization spearheading the
campaign to close the school, is urging people to contact their
U.S. legislators asking for their support to withdraw SOA funding
-- H.R.611 is the proposed U.S. House bill that would eliminate
SOA funding; S. 980 would do the same in the U.S. Senate.

Brethren interested in learning more about the SOA can borrow
related resources from the Washington Office, Nolen said. They
include "School of the Assassins," a book by Jack
Nelson-Pallmeyer, and "School of the Americas: An Insider Speaks
Out," a video with Joe Blair, a retired Army major and former SOA
instructor, who accuses the school of paying lip service to human
rights instruction and serving as a refuge for military leaders
to launder drug money.  For more information, contact Heather
Nolen at (202) 546-3202 or at WashOfc@AOL.Com.

2) A national camping conference dealing with conflict resolution
from a Biblical perspective will be held Friday through Sunday at
Shepherd's Spring, a Church of the Brethren camp in Sharpsburg,
Md. Sessions will give both the theological foundation of
nonviolent action and practical experience in basic conflict
resolution tools. Forty-one camp managers, directors and board
members will attend.

"As we develop programming in our camps where we affect children,
we need to learn how to communicate and how to live with people
every day, people who may not be part of our families or our
faith groups," said Rex Miller, administrator of Shepherd's
Spring and chair of the Outdoor Ministries Association (OMA). "We
can't learn these skills outside a reference with Biblical
understanding," he added. "It is important for us to have a
Biblical base for our core values."

Brethren Noelle Dulabaum-Bohrer of Elgin, Ill., and Matt Guynn of
Philadelphia will serve as leaders.

The conference will also include worship, fellowship, an OMA
business meeting and an auction. It is sponsored by OMA and On
Earth Peace Assembly.

3) A letter was sent Thursday to President Clinton on behalf of
the member denominations of the National Council of Churches,
urging him to sign on to the historic land mine ban treaty that
is scheduled to be signed early in December in Ottawa by more
than 100 nations.

Karen Peterson Miller, interim executive director of the General
Board, signed the petition on behalf of the Church of the
Brethren.

The letter acknowledges several tangible steps the U.S. has
recently taken to address land mine concerns, but states, "Global
action to ban the production, transfer, stockpiling and use of
anti-personnel land mines is even more important. Eighty-nine
governments negotiated a treaty in Oslo in September to
accomplish that goal, and we understand more than 100 governments
are now committed to signing the ban treaty in Ottawa in
December. We are deeply disappointed that the United States is
not among those who have announced their intent to sign."

The petition claims that opposition against land mines is
increasing, pointing to this year's Nobel Peace Prize being
awarded to the International Campaign to Ban Landmines, and to
the 150,000 Americans who have signed anti-land mine petitions in
the past 18 months.

"We urge you, Mr. President, to reconsider and to go to Ottawa in
December and sign the land mines treaty," the petition reads. "We
also urge you to use the considerable prestige of the United
States to persuade other countries that have not yet come on
board to sign the ban treaty. It is our deep conviction that the
only way to end the human tragedy caused by land mines is to ban
them permanently and as soon as possible. This is a moral and
humanitarian issue. Until anti-personnel land mines are banned,
innocent children, men and women will continue to be maimed and
killed."

An estimated 100 million land mines have been sowed into the soil
of 60 countries, which contribute to killing 26,000 people each
year.

4) A free video is available from Church World Service for
congregations interested in learning more about land mines. To
order "Landmines: Overcoming a Lethal Legacy," call 800 297-1516.

5) The 270 delegates of the National Council of Churches General
Assembly met Nov. 12-14 in Washington, D.C., for their annual
meeting. During their meetings, they:
* welcomed Jody Williams of the International Campaign to Ban
     Landmines, co-winner of this year's Nobel Peace Prize, in
     her first formal appearance since the Nobel announcement. In
     introducing Williams, Rodney Page, executive director of
     Church World Service, announced an additional $200,000
     appeal for land mine awareness and land mine removal
     programs. "With this $200,000, we will have garnered over $2
     million for these programs," he said.
* voted to make the Mar Thoma Syrian Church of India the NCC's
     34th member denomination. This church, which dates back to
     the first century, has 1 million members worldwide. Its U.S.
     population is 30,000, with 26 clergy in 36 parishes spanning
     35 states.
* heard a report stating that the importance of interfaith
     relations cannot be overestimated among the issues that face
     contemporary Christians. Diana Eck of Harvard University
     reminded the delegates that many wars and conflicts of past
     and present have been fanned by religious communities. "We
     as churches need to take the leadership in constructive
     dialog," she said, observing that the communities of the
     world are multicultural and multireligious. "We need to work
     on the narrow and exclusivistic theologies that try to
     circle the wagons around God. God is not ours, but indeed we
     are God's."
* approved a new policy relating to deaf and hard-of-hearing
     people. The document identifies three categories of people
     who are deaf or hard-of-hearing and includes recommendations
     for reaching out to each of these groups.    * heard a first
     reading on a proposed document dealing with churches and
     public education. This proposed policy urges "a national
     crusade to save the public schools and to bring all children
     the abundant life which ought by rights be theirs as
     children of God." A final vote on this document, which
     offers suggestions for congregational actions, will be taken
     next year.
* installed Craig Anderson, an Episcopalian bishop, as NCC
     president for 1998-1999. Delegates also elected Andrew Young
     of the United Church of Christ, former mayor of Atlanta and
     U.S. representative to the United Nations, to serve as
     president-elect in 1998-1999 and as president in 2000-2001.
     Elenora Giddings Ivory of Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) was
     elected to serve as vice president through 1999.
* accepted a report from the NCC's Ecclesiology Study Task Force,
     which, after five years of study, called for a deepened
     commitment of member churches to one another. This document,
     which was called "one of the most important internal
     documents the NCC has considered in years," grew out of a
     concern that churches did not seem to be sufficiently
     concerned with what happened in other NCC member churches.
     Among the report's proposals is a suggestion that the NCC
     invite the National Association of Evangelicals, the
     National Council of Catholic Bishops, the Pentecostal
     Conference of North America and others to work with NCC
     representatives in drafting and publishing a statement on
     "Living the Gospel in the U.S. in the Third Millennium."
* voted to sponsor observances of the 50th anniversary of the
     Universal Declaration of Human Rights, calling on its units
     and member denominations to celebrate 1998 as Universal
     Human Rights year and calling on the United States to work
     toward ratification and implementation of several other
     human rights documents.
* heard a speech from vicec president Al Gore, who praised the
     NCC for its work with rebuilding Black churches destroyed by
     arson, for its advocacy on environmental issues and for its
     work "in advancing the social and spiritual condition of all
     people."
* unanimously accepted a resolution expressing continued support
     for affirmative action.
* heard reports on campaign finance reform advocacy and a
     proposed "Jubilee 2000 -- Debtor Nation" campaign, which
     would allow for the forgiveness of foreign debt to indebted
     underdeveloped countries to give them "a fresh start."

6) A Brethren environmental working group met Tuesday and
Wednesday to discuss future directions and initiatives of the
Church of the Brethren General Board's environmental ministry, a
function of the Brethren Witness office. The group, meeting in
Elgin, Ill., included Dianna Ullery of Olympia, Wash.; Dar Miller
of Dillsburg, Pa.; Tim Kreps of Bloomington, Ind.; Sarah Stafford
of North Manchester, Ind.; and Brethren Witness director David
Radcliff and program associate Karin Davidson. Shantilal Bhagat,
former director of Eco-Justice Concerns, also met with the group.

The group's top priority was to plan a quarterly newsletter that
will highlight environmental stewardship opportunities for church
members. The group chose "The Third Day" as a tentative title, in
recognition of God having first created living things on the
third day of creation. Members of the group will contribute
editorially, Radcliff said, as will others.

The group also made plans for a Brethren initiative to stem
global warming. Named "Turn down the heat," the effort will
invite congregations to set aside a Sunday in early spring to
drive fewer miles on the way to worship by using alternative
modes of transportation. Youth groups will be asked to spearhead
this effort. Materials will be sent to each youth program in
early February. Other results of the meeting were the development
of a poster for congregational use and discussion of
environmental programming for next summer's National Youth
Conference.

7) John Thomas Sr. has been appointed interim executive of
Southern Plains District, effective Nov. 15. This is a
one-quarter-time position. From 1981 until 1987 Thomas served
half-time in the same position, while also working as a school
administrator. In the eight years preceding his first assignment
with the district, Thomas worked for CROP.

8) Lee Yoder, who has served Bridgewater (Va.) College as dean of
Academic Affairs and as professor of Education since 1992, has
resigned effective June 30. An interim dean is expected to be
named shortly since Yoder is scheduled to begin a sabbatical on
Dec. 1. According to president Phil Stone, the interim dean will
be selected from the current Bridgewater faculty.

Prior to joining Bridgewater, Yoder served as vice president and
associate professor of Education at Eastern Mennonite College and
Seminary, Harrisonburg, Va.

9) The Clinton administration has promised to facilitate
negotiations with the U.S. Department of Treasury over the
Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fund legislation, according to the
National Campaign for a Peace Tax Fund. If approved, this
legislation will allow conscientious objectors to pay federal
taxes without violating beliefs about non-participation in the
military.

The Clinton administration reportedly promised to facilitate
these negotiations in a Nov. 12 meeting between Maureen Shea,
head of the White House Office of Public Liaison for Religious
Affairs, and Marian Franz, the National Campaign's executive
director, and seven other representatives from religious
organizations.

According to Franz, the meeting focused on the mechanics of the
legislation and why such legislation is needed. Special attention
was given to individuals and organizations who have suffered
punitive actions from the Internal Revenue Service for resisting
financial participation in the military. The meeting also touched
on the possible role the Clinton administration might play in
addressing this proposed legislation.

Joining Franz were representatives from the Baptist Joint
Committee on Public Affairs, the Christian Legal Society's Center
on Law and Religion, the Friends Committee on National
Legislation, Mennonite Central Committee, the National
Association of Evangelicals, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), and
the Union of American Hebrew Congregations.

The National Campaign for a Peace Tax Fund is a nonprofit
organization based in Washington, D.C.

10) The tenth annual Living Gift Market for Heifer Project
International, held Saturday in North Manchester, Ind., raised
$9,700 but expects to raise up to $12,500 through Christmas. The
event, previewed in last week's Newsline, attracted 160 people
who braved the cold weather.

Feature
11) On Sunday four Church of the Brethren members crossed into
Fort Benning, Columbus, Ga., to protest the School of the
Americas, knowing that they would be arrested. Shelly Ungemach of
the Palmyra (Pa.) Church of the Brethren and a student at Eastern
Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, Va., was one of those four:

Standing with my cross, waiting to cross a seemingly arbitrary
line on the ground, I experienced a rollercoaster of emotions.

I remembered reading accounts of massacres while in Guatemala
that listed the names of those killed. While I was there, it
didn't seem that important to read every name and so I skimmed
over them. Those names took on new significance on Sunday when
they were sung out to the crowd of protesters waiting to answer
back, "Presente!" Suddenly those names on the crosses became more
than just letters, and those who had been killed at the hands of
SOA graduates became more than just statistics. Brothers,
sisters, mothers, fathers, friends -- they were all there
surrounding us as we prepared to walk onto the base. And I was
angry -- angry that I would have to do something as silly as get
myself arrested so that they might have a voice and so that the
institution that legitimized their killing could be stopped.

As the drums continued to call us on and the crowd continued its
chanting, Nathan (Mussleman of Oak Grove Church of the Brethren,
Roanoke, Va., a Brethren also attending Eastern Mennonite
University) and I stepped over the line. There was no turning
back.

We walked in silence with tear-filled eyes and angry hearts to
waiting buses that swallowed us and transported us further inside
the military base where we would be processed. The ride was full
of reflection for some and singing for others. The rest of the
afternoon consisted of a lot of waiting -- first on the bus and
then in a yard.

The first step of processing was relinquishing all our possible
"weapons" -- pens, pins, nail clippers and other like objects,
which we were told would be returned to us. They were, minus any
item that had SOA printed on it.

Next came the pat-down followed by more waiting. Finally, it was
time to actually be processed.  I was ushered to a seat in front
of a smiling military man who proceeded to ask my name, address
and more. Then, unexpectedly, this smiling man said, "Hey! You're
from Pennsylvania?  I live in Harrisburg. Do you know of Hershey
Park -- I took my family there this summer. Isn't Palmyra the
place with all the sinkholes?"

It's too small a world! Hershey Park WAS my summer employment for
two summers and Palmyra IS the small town full of sinkholes where
I lived the first eighteen years of my life.

Then this gentleman, still smiling, gave me a ban and bar letter
stating that I was being ejected from Fort Benning for criminal
trespassing and that I was not allowed on the grounds for one
year. My picture was taken and that was it: It was over; I had
been processed.

By the time it was all said and done, the sun had set and so I
ate my army-supplied supper in the growing dusk, whipped by the
cold wind.

Newsline is produced by Nevin Dulabaum, manager of the General
Board's News and Information Services.

This message can be heard by calling 410 635-8738. To receive
Newsline by e-mail or fax, call 800 323-8039, ext. 263, or write
CoBNews@AOL.Com.

Newsline is archived with an index at www.cob-net.org/news.htm
and at www.wfn.org.