From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Ecclesiology Study

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 21 Nov 1997 19:14:11

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC News, 212-870-2227

NCC11/13/97

NCC GENERAL ASSEMBLY APPROVES ECCLESIOLOGY REPORT
ABOUT REFOCUSING MEMBER COMMUNIONS TO SHARE EACH
OTHER’S STRUGGLES AND JOYS
Delegates Call for an End to ‘Ecumenical Voyeurism’
and for a Broader Ecumenical Movement

 WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 13, ---- Five years of
study culminated in the presentation of a redirected
understanding of the purpose and goals of the
nation’s preeminent ecumenical body which one
delegate called “one of the most important internal
documents the National Council of Churches has
considered in years.”

 The General Assembly of the National Council of
Churches in Christ accepted a report from its
Ecclesiology Study Task Force that, if actively
pursued, will refocus the council on closer
relationships both internally and externally.

 The task force “grew in part out of the Eastern
Orthodox Churches’ concern that other churches did
not seem to be sufficiently invested, that they did
not take seriously enough what happened within each
other’s fellowship,” explained the Rev. Dr. Michael
Kinnamon, Dean of the Lexington Theological Seminary
and chairman of the task force.

 “For example, right now the Presbyterian Church
is wrestling with concerns about human sexuality,
yet we do not talk about it in our common life
together,” Dr. Kinnamon said.  “We could be sharing
these kinds of things and lifting them up in prayer.
Just as the joys of one should become the joys of
another, so should the struggles of one become the
struggles of another.”

The report calls for a deepened commitment of
member churches to one another.  Dr. Kinnamon
introduced the document by quoting from it, “The
essence of a council of churches is not the
relationship of the churches to the structure of the
council, but their relationship to one another.”

 “The NCC not is a structure, but has a
structure,” he added.

He said that, as part of anticipation of the
NCC 50th anniversary, the churches of the NCC need to
determine what “marks of fellowship” characterize
council life in preparation for a public ceremony of
“deepening their commitment.” The purpose of this
action would be “to move from seeing the council as
a program agency to seeing it as a community of
communions,” he said.

“We tend to play off unity against justice, or
unity against mission,” he told the General Assembly
delegates. Rather, he advised, every time the
council gathers, member communions should be asking
what it means to be the church together.

Kinnamon said the report also urges the council
to “expand the table” by efforts to “seek
partnership without worrying about membership.”  It
calls on the General Secretary to “take appropriate
steps to foster the development of the wider
Christian forum.”

Specific proposals include forming two on-going
“working groups,” one of NCC churches with

the National Conference of Catholic Bishops and one
with Evangelicals and Pentecostals.  Another urges
the NCC to invite the National Association of
Evangelicals, the National Conference of Catholic
Bishops, the Pentecostal Conference of North America
and perhaps others to work with representatives of
the NCC in drafting and publishing a statement on
“Living the Gospel in the U.S. in the Third
Millennium.”

 In an open discussion period, there was
considerable praise for the work of the task force
and the need for renewed commitment.

 The Rev. John Thomas of the United Church of
Christ resonated with the image of “concentric
circles” and said, “this should have implications
for the General Assembly and its agenda.”  He listed
concrete issues and events that he said have been
treated as “peripheral to the life of the General
Assembly, in that they get talked about around the
edges, but should move to the center of this
meeting.”

Among the current events and issues Rev. Thomas
listed were: “The UCC and Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ) reconciling their ministries;
the agreement of the ELCA and three reform churches
to enter into full communion; the movement of the
Roman Catholic and Lutheran churches toward a joint
declaration on a doctrine of justification; the
Lutheran/Episcopal concordat which was not approved
this past summer; the Black Methodist church asking
the white churches ‘what does persistent racism
mean?’; a gathering of gay and lesbian church
leaders; the leadership crisis among the National
Baptist Convention U.S.A., and a Reformed Church of
America/UCC formal dialogue on sexuality issues.”

 “We have moved beyond isolation and ignorance
in our ecumenical life, but we live with a kind of
ecumenical voyeurism,” Rev. Thomas said.  “How can
we move toward mutual understanding?”

The Rev. Peg Chemberlin, Director of the
Minnesota Council of Churches, said that her Council
of Churches has worked to define its own “marks of
faithfulness.” The inability to be a community of
communions “is a struggle that is lived across this
country,” she observed and said that the focus on
relationships has resulted in drastic restructure in
some state councils.

The Rev. Dr. Clifton Kirkpatrick of the
Presbyterian Church U.S.A. said, if anything, “the
recommendations seem a bit timid.  We need a new
ecumenical movement that includes not only the
groups mentioned in the report but parachurches and
other groups, to allow us to cross all barriers that
divide us.”

The Rev. Dr. George Cummings of the American
Baptist Churches in the USA said he was “concerned
about the ongoing dichotomy between what we are and
what we do.” He also expressed uncertainty about how
what the council does in assembly reaches the local
church and how the NCCC helps each church fulfills
the Great Commission to make disciples for Christ.

The Rev. Dr. Paul Crow, Jr. of the Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ) said that the task
force was one of the most enriching and visionary
groups he had ever worked with but he was
disappointed that the original purpose was not
fulfilled. The NCC “must learn how to be
comprehensively diverse, not selectively diverse,”
he said.

Dr. Constance Tarasar of the Orthodox Church in
America pointed out that one of the problems she
sees in the NCC is that issues are only addressed in
parliamentary resolutions, which is contrary to the
way her church does things.  “We try to address
problems in the Orthodox Church through consensus,”
she said, and suggested a small reference group
representative of the families of churches in the
NCC get together to address issues.  She also
suggested churches be paired off on a rotating basis
so they can really learn about each other.

The lively discussion came to an end with a
unanimous vote in favor of the recommendations made
in the report, followed by a burst of spontaneous
applause.

-end-
 -0-