From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Interfaith Delegation to North Korea Returns

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 21 Nov 1997 19:14:13

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Contact: Wendy McDowell, 212-870-2227
Internet: wendy@ncccusa.org

NCC NEWS RELEASE 11/12/97

DELEGATION OF U.S. RELIGIOUS LEADERS, BACK FROM A
FIVE-DAY TRIP,REPORTS NORTH KOREA HUNGER SITUATION
IS STABILIZED BUT NOT SOLVED
Leaders Hope for "Last Battle of the Cold War" to Be
Won with Bread; Note Increasing Openness

WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 11 ---- Four religious
leaders who were part of a 10-person delegation to
North Korea from November 4 to 8 report that the
hunger situation has been stabilized but not solved.
"We came away convinced that this is a nation
desperately in need of continued and increased aid,
including partnerships to address the development
challenges that will outlast droughts and floods,"
said Bishop Howard E. Wennes, a board member of
Lutheran World Relief.

At a press conference held here today (Nov. 11),
representatives from Catholic, Lutheran and Jewish
hunger relief groups and from the National Council
of Churches (NCC) shared their observations from
their recent five-day trip to North Korea, sponsored
by the Interfaith Hunger Appeal (IHA) and hosted by
the Korean Christians Federation in North Korea.
IHA is a coalition of Jewish, Protestant and
Catholic hunger relief organizations.

"We went anticipating the worst," said Bishop
Wennes, a Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America, Grand Canyon Synod.   "Yet our first
report is good news: food and medicine given by
governments and non-governmental agencies (NGOs)
such as ours has helped many North Koreans fight
sickness and hunger.  At the same time, an aid
worker told us the children she sees now are
'stabilized . . . but not strong.'"

"There is no question that without international
humanitarian assistance, conditions would be far,
far worse," said Victor Hsu, NCC East Asia Office
Director in the Church World Service and Witness
Unit (CWS).  "But I think that one must continually
underline that this is short-term.  Humanitarian
assistance is providing an absolutely bare minimum
of food subsistence - probably only enough to last
through the winter.  The long-term  problems for
North Korea are structural in nature and must be
addressed if it is to be productive again."

Meanwhile, humanitarian efforts must be based on a
"comprehensive approach" that includes clean water
and medical supplies as well as food for the 24
million population of North Korea, Mr. Hsu said.
"To have successive years of inadequate living
conditions means more illness, disease and death,"
he stressed.

Rabbi Alexander Schindler, immediate past president
of the Union of the American Hebrew Congregations
and Board Member of the American Jewish Joint
Distribution Committee, described the delegation's
visit to "a hospital whose corridors were piercingly
cold.  There were no blankets on the beds, no soap
to wash hands, no unpolluted water to quench the
thirst of the fevered patients.  The pharmacy
shelves were devoid of bare necessities."

IHA delegation members brought with them $100,000
worth of multi-vitamin and mineral supplements which
will be distributed to children at nurseries and
kindergartens and to pregnant and lactating women.

Delegation Members Point to Hard Work, Pride of
North Korean People

North Korea has suffered from two years of floods
and one year of drought that have destroyed much of
the nation's crops and severely weakened its food
security.

 In spite of this adversity, "we were much moved
by the Koreans' hard work and determination to care
for and feed their own against impossible odds,"
Bishop Wennes said.  "They are a people of evident
dignity and well-earned pride.  We saw whole
communities - from school children to the elderly -
harvesting cabbage, the last precious crop of a bad
year and before a third, tough winter."  Said
Kenneth Hackett, Executive Director of Catholic
Relief Services, "We found people working together
with a great deal of love."

 "The people may be too self reliant to ask for
handouts, but they are not ungrateful for aid when
it comes," Mr. Hsu said.  "A villager told an aid
worker, 'I hope the day will come when we can repay
you tenfold for what you have done.'" Said Rabbi
Schindler, "They are a proud lot determined to
prevail - and they will, provided we respond as our
common humanity compels us to do."

Because of the emphasis on self-reliance, delegation
members emphasized the need for policies which allow
North Korea dignity so that it can start to change.
"I think North Korea is changing without stating
so," said Mr. Hsu.  "The fact is, North Korea needs
to change structurally to survive.  It no longer has
any allies to support its current economic system
and it needs hard currency to buy food, so it will
have to begin to trade."

Delegation Members Point to Increasing Openness in
North Korea

Delegation members stressed the significance of the
North Korean government allowing their delegation to
visit and see conditions.  "This trip marks a
remarkable change in attitude," said Mr. Hackett.

Mr. Hsu pointed to another significant change made
six months ago in the reception of food and other
aid.  "The system of aid distribution has been
decentralized," he said.  "The aid can now go to
various outlets."

Because Mr. Hsu has been able to go into North Korea
for 10 years, he has seen the marked increase in
openness to foreigners.  "It used to be that I knew
the handful of Westerners who were allowed into
North Korea," he said, "but when I go there now,
there are a lot of Westerners."

He said a new five-star international hotel has
recently been built in Pyongyang and that during
this recent trip, the government even added an
unscheduled flight.  "It has been an accepted
reality for so long that flights only went into
North Korea two times a week," he said.

Some delegation members pointed to the need for
advocacy around specific issues, including U.S.
military involvement.  "North Koreans spoke of the
joint military exercises held by the U.S. and South
Korea off their borders, so we were forced to see
how we have been part of their problem," Bishop
Wennes said.

Bishop Wennes called for more work in this area.
Mr. Hsu said that his organization, CWS, has been
calling for the lifting of sanctions as a
"confidence-building gesture."  He said that various
hunger agencies are serious about forming a working
group on agricultural cooperation to make
recommendations to NGOs.

Above all, the delegation participants stressed that
they are not nutritionists or agricultural or
military experts, but people of faith.  "We are not
Pentagon generals or seasoned statesmen," said
Bishop Wennes.  "Our task is to share bread out of
faith in the conviction that God can turn this help
into hope."

Rabbi Schindler said, "We cannot allow our religious
and humanitarian obligations to be fixed by the
boundaries of a single nation, continent," or even
religion.  "I can report that there is not a single
Jew in North Korea," he joked, but added, "the fact
that there are no Jews there does not lessen our
determination to reach out and help.  When a five-
year-old girl is shivering and starving, it is of
little concern to us which spiritual path she and
her parents choose."

Bishop Wennes concluded, "One of our colleagues on
the trip described this struggle as 'the last battle
of the Cold War.'  Might it be possible to win this
one for both sides - with bread, not bombs; with
medicines instead of landmines?  We say yes because
we are people who share a faith memory.  Hope says
it has happened before.  Love says it can happen
again."

 -0-