From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA General Assembly Nov. 14

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 21 Nov 1997 19:14:15

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

NCC11/14/97

DAY THREE: NCC'S NOV. 12-14 ANNUAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY

 WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 14 ---- Following is a
synopsis of news from the third and final day of
business of the National Council of Churches’ Nov.
12-14 annual General Assembly, meeting in
Washington, D.C.  The 270-member assembly is the
highest governing body of the NCC and is made up of
official delegates from the Councils’ 34 member
communions (denominations), which in turn have 52
million members.

 This is a long file.  Here is an index of the
news items in it:

* U.S. Vice President Gore Addresses NCC Assembly
* NCC Reiterates Support for Affirmative Action
* Assembly Hears Reports in Two Key Public Policy
Areas
* Appreciation for Outgoing President Bishop Talbert
* In Other Business….

U.S. Vice President Gore Addresses NCC General
Assembly

U.S. Vice President Albert Gore greeted the
NCC's General Assembly this morning, in particular
hailing the Council's work for civil rights and
environmental protection and its stand for unity.

"You stand for unity, not instead of, or in
spite of, diversity but unity inspired by
appreciation for and celebration of our diversity
and absolute mutual respect," he said.

Furthermore, the NCC understands that "it's not
enough for churches and other houses of worship to
be united if the people are not," the Vice President
continued.  "You've put this into practice in
communities across the nation through your 150,000
congregations.

"You've been especially effective on civil
rights.  The churches ignited that little spark of
celestial fire called conscience, and forced America
to see the issue of race as a direct and
irresistable invitation to practice the love of God.

"You've helped communities rebuild churches
destroyed by arsons, and to rebuild communities
where in so many cases racial hate was cause of the
fires," Mr. Gore continued  "You are helping Black
pastors be more effective in politics, and white
pastors to lead work against racism in their
congregations and communities.  You are reaching to
Native, Asian, Hispanic and other Americans of all
kinds.  You have a large view of the moral role of
the churches in their society."

The Vice President continued with praise for
the NCC's work to protect the environment,
especially through its participation in the National
Religious Partnership for the Environment, "just one
example of the growing bonds between the
environmental and religious communities."  He
commented, "We cannot glorify the Creator while
heaping contempt on the Creation."

He also expressed gratitude for all the NCC's
work "in advancing the social and spiritual
condition of all people," and acknowledged a number
of people by name, including the NCC's General
Secretary, Presidents past and present and the
Director of its Washington Public Policy Office, and
welcomed the Mar Thoma Syrian Church of India as the
NCC's newest member communion.  He also thanked the
Assembly for its prayers for him on Thursday
morning, when he originally was scheduled to address
the group but was called away to a meeting on the
stand-off in Iraq.

The Rev. Dr. Joan B. Campbell, the NCC's
General Secretary, welcomed the Vice President as "a
man of faith who acts out your commitment in the
public square."  Praising his commitment to
religious liberty and justice for all, she noted
that the NCC also "challenges you when we must."
She assured him and President Clinton the ecumenical
community's prayers.

 United Methodist Bishop Melvin Talbert, the
NCC's President, offered the concluding words,
including a prayer for peace and for blessings on
Mr. Gore "as he continues this day to be a vital
force of change in this world."

 The Vice President started his address with a
string of humorous comments and stories that
provoked the Assembly to side-splitting laughter.
He shared real bloopers from church bulletins ("At
the Easter Services, Mrs. K—will be asked to lay an
egg on the altar"), and joked about the
investigations of his fundraising activities.

"You continually reach out to Jewish, Hindu,
Muslim and Buddhist congregations," he said in
praise of the NCC's interfaith relations work, then
added,  ?I've also reached out to Buddhist
congregations."  Then he paused and turned to Dr.
Campbell and asked,  "THIS isn't a fundraiser, is
it?  Just checking!"

NCC Reiterates Support for Affirmative Action

 In its third and last day of business, the
General Assembly of the National Council of Churches
(NCC) unanimously accepted a resolution expressing
continued support for affirmative action.

 The resolution, put forward this week in the
wake of turmoil over the confirmation of Bill Lann
Lee for Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights,
calls on the NCC:

   to continue support of and advocacy for
effective affirmative action programs, statutes,
policies and practices;
   to speak out against retrogressive
legislative and other attempts to rescind or weaken
affirmative action statues on municipal, state or
federal levels;
   to align themselves with others of good will
to defeat anti-affirmative action initiatives
constructed to “turn back the clock,” which are
attempts to establish Proposition 209 at the federal
level; and
   to encourage members to exercise their
constitutional and civil responsibilities fully in
helping to defeat these and other assaults on
productive affirmative action programs.

 The resolution states that California’s
Proposition 209 and similar state and federal
legislation “are antithetical to achieving a mature,
diverse and egalitarian society.

 The General Assembly passed the resolution with
no discussion.

General Assembly Hears Reports in Two Key Public
Policy Areas

 The General Assembly heard reports about two
important public policy issues about which NCC
member communions and the NCC Washington Office are
advocating, campaign finance reform and a Jubilee
2000 for debtor nations.

 Bishop McKinley Young of the African Methodist
Episcopal Church said that “religious communities
have played an active role through statements and
conferences in calling for campaign finance reform.”

 Bishop Young discussed current and upcoming
legislation on the campaign finance issue, saying
“it is time to step up our efforts in support of
these bills.”  Too often, Congresspeople in support
of campaign finance reform “are voices crying alone
in the wilderness.”

 “Over $5.2 million has been spent on
congressional investigations” into campaign
financing, he said.  “That would feed a lot of
homeless people.  I believe the time is right for
the prophetic word and call for change.”

 Sister Marie Dennis of the Maryknoll Society
Peace and Justice Office then reported on a “Jubilee
2000 - Debtor Nation” campaign that would allow for
the forgiveness of foreign debt to allow indebted,
underdeveloped countries “a fresh start.”

 “As we near the millennium, there is a
prevalence of jubilee images,” Sister Dennis said.
“Countries deserve a new start, free of lingering
debts.”

 “Creditor and debtor nations share the
responsibility for these debts, but only the
indebted bear the weight of repayment under terms
imposed by the International Monetary Fund,” she
explained.  “No mechanisms for bankruptcy exist.”

 She also noted that many of the factors for
increasing debt have been external to the countries
involved, such as rising oil prices and the levying
of high interest rates.

 Sister Dennis gave staggering statistics,
pointing out that some countries pay three times
more in loan payments than they receive in aid and
that the entire worldwide debt amounts to $2.4
trillion.

“Economic decisions need to involve moral
factors,” Sister Dennis said.  “As the Church, me
need to insist that policies must be shaped in the
context of God’s love and demand for justice.”

Most of the discussion centered around the
Debtor Nation issue, with delegates supporting the
call and stressing the need for ensuring that aid
makes it to the grass roots level.

Bishop Zacharias Mar Theophilus of the NCC’s
newest communion, the Mar Thoma Church, described
the international debt system as “a new world
economic order of slavery and mastery.”

The Rev. Dr. Albert Pennybacker, Head of the
NCC’s Washington, D.C. Office, concluded by saying
that campaign finance reform and debt forgiveness
“are two issues where we have the opportunity to
make a real difference.”

Appreciation for Outgoing President Bishop Talbert

 Because it was the last day of the meeting,
incoming President Bishop Craig Anderson, General
Secretary Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell and United
Methodist Bishop William Boyd Grove took time to
thank United Methodist Bishop Melvin Talbert for his
two years of service as NCC President.

 Dr. Campbell listed the many things that
happened during Bishop Talbert’s tenure, including
responding to burned churches, the transformation of
the NCC, giving “medicine to Cuba, food to North
Korea and hope to East Timor,” his support of gay
and lesbian people in the church, and the first
exchange of greetings with the Roman Catholic
bishops.  “You have left the council stronger than
you found it,” Dr. Campbell said.

 Bishop Talbert had a word of challenge for the
General Assembly.  “Much has been said about us
being around the table, and I think it is at the
heart of what it means to be the people of God,”
Bishop Talbert said.  “It is not just a conference
table, but the table of our Lord.”

As much as I cherish ecumenical relationships,
we cannot say that we all sit around the table of
the Lord,” he continued.  “We create barbed wire
fences around the table of the Lord and decide who
is in and who is out.”

“The table of the Lord belongs to all of us,
not only those in this council but those knocking to
get in,” Bishop Talbert said.  “We should pray that
God will provide us with a kind of boldness to say,
‘Yes, God, we have become instruments of you and we
invite all of your children, regardless of who they
are.”

Dr. Campbell presented Bishop Talbert with a
frame picture of his granddaughter and Bishop Grove
presented him with a large print version of the New
Revised Standard Version of the Bible because, he
said, “this bishop is a field bishop who lives in
the world, so he can read as he rides, as he runs
and as he preaches in the churches.”

In Other Business …

In other business, the General Assembly heard
reports from NCC delegation visits to North Korea,
Indonesia/East Timor and the Middle East.

The Rev. Dr. Riad Jarjour, General Secretary of
the Middle East Council of Churches, said one of the
most important parts of the NCC delegation’s visit
to his region was not “the prestige and exposure
through the media,” but that “ordinary people in the
Middle East saw that there is a positive, sensitive
Christian link between the Middle East and the
United States.”

The General Assembly also accepted a report
from the Communication Commission naming four
priorities for the remainder of the quadrennium.
The “four R’s,” upon which the Communications
Commission will develop a media plan, are:

  Renewing Christian unity in the context of
interfaith relationships
  Responding to human need at home and abroad
  Resisting racism and building racial
reconciliation
  Re-affirming a Biblical rootedness

The meeting closed with a prayer.