From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Forward Bill Lann Lee Nomination" –

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 21 Nov 1997 19:15:10

Religious Leaders

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Contact: Carol Fouke, NCC News, 212-870-2252
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

NCC11/12/97

MOVE BILL LANN LEE'S NOMINATION TO THE FULL U.S.
SENATE,
RELIGIOUS LEADERS URGE IN A RARE STATEMENT ABOUT A
NOMINEE

 WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 11 ---- National
religious leaders, in a rare statement about a
nominee to public office, today (Nov. 11) called on
the Senate Judiciary Committee to end the
"inordinate politicizing" that has deadlocked Bill
Lann Lee's nomination to the position of Assistant
Attorney General for Civil Rights, and to forward
his name to the full U.S. Senate for confirmation.

 At a news conference called by the National
Council of Churches (NCC), a panel of Protestant and
Roman Catholic Christian and Jewish leaders blasted
the Senate Judiciary Committee for sidetracking fair
hearings into a policy debate on affirmative action,
which, they said, does not belong in that forum.
Mr. Lee's nomination is deadlocked in committee
because several Republican senators oppose the
Administration's position on affirmative action.

 "We are deeply disappointed at the inordinate
politicizing of what has every right to be a
straightforward confirmation hearing," said the Rev.
Dr. Joan B. Campbell, NCC General Secretary.  "It is
not usually our practice to advocate for specific
nominations but on this nomination we see no glaring
or disqualifying reason for Mr. Lee's nomination not
to move forward appropriately."

 Rabbi Daniel Swartz, representing the Religious
Action Center of Reform Judaism, released the text
of a letter sent today to the Senate Judiciary
Committee by 25 national religious, civil liberties
and community organizations, including the NCC.

 "We are national organizations that rarely or
never endorse or oppose nominees for executive
branch positions," they wrote.  "So, too, we are not
taking a formal position on the nomination of Bill
Lann Lee....However, the nature of the emerging
debate over his nomination has gravely alarmed us,
and required us to speak out.  That this candidate,
who has been described as eminently qualified by
supporters and most critics of the nomination, has
had his nomination sidetracked into a policy debate
over affirmative action ill serves both America and
the cause of civil rights.
-more-

 "The President of the United States has a
right, except in the most extreme circumstances, to
appoint officials to implement his views," they said
in the letter.  "Mr. Lee's view that affirmative
action remains a constitutional, legal and effective
means of redressing infringements on civil rights, a
view we share, is completely in consonance with the
President's long-held position."

 The Rev. Paul Ojibway of the Graymoor
Ecumenical and Interreligious Institute, added, "The
nomination of Bill Lann Lee should not be held
hostage by accusations and false information.  He's
been accused of not being race-neutral.  In fact,
his race-related cases have been in favor of
neutrality under the law as he has sought to address
intentional racial discrimination.  He's well-
qualified to serve.  I urge the Senate Judiciary
Committee to give him and all people a fair chance
and to vote in his favor."

 Besides Dr. Campbell, Rev. Ojibway and Rabbi
Swartz, other participants in today's news
conference were: Elenora Giddings Ivory, Director of
the Washington Office of the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.); the Rev. Dr. Thom White Wolf Fassett,
General Secretary of the General Board of Church and
Society of the United Methodist Church, and the Rev.
Dr. Bennett W. Smith Jr., President of the
Progressive National Baptist Convention.

 Religious organizations signing the letter to
the Senate Judiciary Committee included the American
Friends Service Committee (Washington Office),
American Jewish Congress, Church Women United,
Friends Committee on National Legislation, National
Council of Churches, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A),
Union of American Hebrew Congregations, United
Church of Christ Office for Church in Society, and
Women of Reform Judaism.

-end-
 -0-