From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jody Williams Addresses NCCCUSA on Landmines

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 21 Nov 1997 19:15:12

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC News, 212-870-2227

NCC11/13/97

NOBEL PEACE LAUREATE DELIVERS THANKS TO NCC FOR
ANTI-LANDMINE EFFORTS,
SENDS STRONG MESSAGE TO PRESIDENT CLINTON TO SIGN ON
TO OTTAWA BAN
Points to More Work Ahead on Landmines Issue

 WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 13 ---- In her first
formal public appearance since she was named co-
winner of the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize, Jody Williams
delivered a special address to the National Council
of Churches (NCC) which included a clear, strong
call for President Clinton to sign on to the
International Landmines Ban treaty in Ottawa in
December 1997 and thanks to the NCC, especially
Linda Hartke, for their awareness, education and
advocacy work on the landmine issue.

“I understand the President’s need to confer
with the Pentagon,” Ms. Williams said.  “But if he
hears only the voices of generals and not the voices
of the poorest of the poor, then he has forgotten
that as our head statesman, he needs to listen to
all the people.”

 She continued, “It is his choice.  He can
either stand on the side of humanity and history and
sign on to the international ban in Ottawa, which
will probably be signed by 120 governments, or he
can stand outside the tide of history.”

 The Nobel Laureate’s address came in the
context of a Church World Service and Witness
Resolution renewing the call for a complete ban on
anti-personnel landmines which was before the NCC’s
General Assembly for consideration at its annual
meeting.  The resolution passed unanimously
following Ms. Williams’ speech.

 In introducing Ms. Williams, the Rev. Dr.
Rodney Page, Executive Director of CWS, pointed out
that “Every twenty minutes – 80 times since this
meeting began yesterday morning – a mother, child, a
grandfather has stepped on an anti-personnel
landmine somewhere in the world.  Jody Williams has
spent more than five years nurturing a grassroots
effort that has knit together an unlikely band of
generals and peace activists, union members and a
princess, faith-based organizations and artists,
deminers and landmine survivors, and people in every
corner of the world who understand the simple
morality of a ban on landmines.”

 Dr. Page took the opportunity to announce an
additional appeal for $200,000 for CWS mine
awareness/education and landmine removal programs,
saying, “With this $200,000, we will have garnered
over $2 million for these programs.”

Ms. Williams thanked the NCC for its work on
the landmines issue.  “Too often (the effort to ban
landmines) has been called ‘one woman’s campaign,’”
Ms. Williams said.  “It isn’t.  I am honored  to
work with a broad coalition, including the churches”
through CWS, the NCC’s human development, emergency
relief and refugee assistance ministry.

 Ms. Williams singled out CWS Director of
Operations Linda Hartke for appreciation, who was
the CWS Country Director in Cambodia for many years.
“Her contribution, through the demining and mine
education program and the ‘Cambodia Campaign’ was
pivotal” in the international campaign, Ms. Williams
said.

 “We achieved this ban because we were right and
we never wavered,” Ms. Williams said.  “We were able
to keep our eye on the goal and to get governments
to take a position, something they are reluctant to
do.  Once the momentum got going, this campaign has
moved at lightning speed, because civil society has
pressured their governments.”

Takes U.S. Government, Clinton Administration to
Task

 “Originally, the U.S. government was a leader
around this issue,” Ms. Williams explained.
“Senator Patrick Leahy, from my home state of
Vermont, pushed through a legislative moratorium on
the export of landmines in 1992.  That such a world
military power took this action made other
governments believe they could do something.”

 “Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, the
U.S. government lost sight of the goal,” Ms.
Williams continued.  “The Clinton Administration has
abdicated the statesman role to the Pentagon.  I
find it frightening that the military is determining
policy on this issue.”

Ms. Williams also stated that if President
Clinton does not sign on to the treaty by December,
“there is still time to do something.  The campaign
is not over in December,” she said.  “We still have
our work cut out for us in terms of making the
treaty binding, getting all the mines removed and
helping victims of landmines to lead full lives.”

 She quipped, “Maybe the U.S. could put up the
entire $1 billion (for a demining and mine awareness
initiative) – If Ted Turner can do it, the U.S.
government can do it.”

Points to Larger Issues of Arms Control

 In discussing the complexity of the landmine
issue, Ms. Williams said, “it is a reflection that
even within the Administration and the Pentagon,
there is debate about how this issue should be
handled.”

 “This is the first time that a weapon which is
widely used is being banned,” she said.  “The U.S.
military is reluctant to allow humanitarian concerns
weigh in on which weapons can and cannot be used,”
because as one general argued, it might lead to a
“slippery slope.”

 “There are larger issues involved, too,” Ms.
Williams explained.  Part of what the campaign has
done subtly is to stress that there are in fact laws
of war and that governments should abide by them and
not allow militaries to act with impunity.”

 “This is also an opportunity to point out the
larger devastation” of war in this century with its
targetting of civilians, she said.  “This goes all
the way back to World War I and the U.S. was at the
forefront of this change.”

 “The Nobel Prize Committee hoped to highlight
the ban campaign and to increase the pressure on
recalcitrant governments, which has certainly
happened,” Ms. Williams said, “but I like to push it
even farther and point to the way this treaty
process has changed history and changed arms
control.”

-end-
 -0-