From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA General Assembly Nov. 12

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 21 Nov 1997 19:15:13

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

NOVEMBER 12, 1997 -- DAY ONE
NATIONAL COUNCIL OF CHURCHES
GENERAL ASSEMBLY

 Following is a synopsis of news from the first
day of business of the National Council of Churches'
Nov. 12-14 annual General Assembly, meeting in
Washington, D.C.  The 270-member assembly is the
highest governing body of the NCC and is made up of
official delegates from the Councils' 34 member
communions (denominations), which in turn have 52
million members.

 A long text body follows.  Here is an index of
contents:

Mar Thoma Syrian Church of India Delegation is Seated
Churches Consider Their Response to Increased U.S. Religious Pluralism
NCC and NCCB Exchange Greetings
Excerpts: NCC General Secretary Report to the Assembly
Actions on National Ministries Concerns:
* No Barriers for Deaf People in Churches
* Organ, Tissue Donation
* Churches and Public Education
* Churches and Disabilities
* Appeal for Clemency for Leonard Peltier
* Paper Use
* Installation of Bishop Anderson as NCC President

Mar Thoma Syrian Church of India Delegation is
Seated

 WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 12 ---- The National
Council of Churches (NCC) today became an
organization of 34 communions, up from 33.

 The Rev. Dr. Bruce Robbins, Chair of the
Membership and Ecclesial Relations Committee,
introduced the Mar Thoma Syrian Church of India,
noting their "rich history dating back to Thomas the
Apostle."

 A vote was then called, with each of the NCC's
33 denominations voting "yes," many "with joy."  The
Greek Orthodox representative gave perhaps the most
creative affirmative vote, saying, "We welcome this
new church, who walks like us and looks like us, but
is not us."

 There was then sustained applause as the five-
member delegation from the newly accepted church,
led by their head of communion, Bishop Zacharias Mar
Theophilus, moved to the front of the assembly room
to be officially seated as full members of the NCC.

 "Personally, I do not welcome a stranger, since
Bishop Zacharias and I have served together on the
Central Committee of the World Council of Churches,"
said NCC President Melvin Talbert.  "I greet you and
welcome you in the name and spirit of Jesus Christ."
 Said Bishop Theophilus to the NCC General
Assembly delegates, "I was thrilled when the
communions said 'yes.'  Without knowing us, but with
faith and hope, you accepted us into this
fellowship."

 "We were a founding member of the World Council
of Churches and the National Council of Churches of
India and have been in full communion with the
Anglican and Episcopal Church, but it took us a half
a century to become members of the NCC," he
continued.

 "The Mar Thoma Church dates back to the visit
of St. Thomas to India during the first century.
For the last 2,000 years in India we have witnessed
and struggled," Bishop Theophilus explained.  This
century, we became a diasporic church."

Of the communion's one million members
worldwide, 30,000 are in the United States.
Dispersed across 35 states with only 26 clergy and
37 parishes, many of them worship regularly at
Episcopal Churches (the Mar Thoma Church is in full
communion with the Anglican family).

"These members frequently worship once a month
in a Mar Thoma service," explained the Rev. Dr.
Eileen Lindner, NCC Associate General Secretary for
Christian Unity.  "The problem is they don't have
enough priests to serve them.  Clearly it's a church
on the rise in this country."

 The Mar Thoma Church has grown rapidly in
recent years," Bishop Theophilus added.  According
to their publication Mar Thoma Messenger, "Our
identity is undergoing radical changes, from being a
group of a few immigrants from India with Christian
background to an established church with Eastern
symbols and traditions."

 "I rejoice with them, that they have grown so
substantially that they now have the capacity to
join us," said NCC General Secretary the Rev. Dr.
Joan Brown Campbell.  "They will deeply enrich the
NCC and expand further its diversity."

"Our church is an Eastern Church and is
reformed in this tradition," he said.  "We are
liturgical, Biblical, missionary and ecumenical.
Some historians call our church a Bridge Church in
India, and now we are a bridge from India to the
United States.

 "We come from a country familiar with
pluralism, with a multi-religious and multi-cultural
population but a secular government, so we have many
things to learn from you and many things to share
with you."

 In a later interview, Bishop Theophilus said
his church's decision to join the NCC came out of
the belief that "the Church is never secluded or
isolated.  We wanted to become part of the
ecumenical family here in the U.S."

 He said his church has appreciated many of the
issues the NCC has taken up throughout its history,
particularly its advocacy and development work
relevant to Asia and other third world countries,
such as the NCC's support of a ban on the production
and use of landmines and its support of the human
and land rights of indigenous peoples.

 "You need the fellowship of all the Churches to
handle any of these kinds of issues," Bishop
Theophilus said.

 At the conclusion of his remarks, Bishop
Theophilus and Dr. Campbell exchanged gifts.  Dr.
Campbell offered him a chalice, which he accepted,
saying it is "the most important gift since it is
for the taking of communion."  Bishop Theophilus
gave Dr. Campbell a brass bowl from India.

Churches Consider Their Response to Increased U.S.
Religious Pluralism

 WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 12  - The importance of
interfaith  relations cannot be overestimated among
the issues facing contemporary Christians, a speaker
told the General Assembly of the National Council of
Churches today.

 Dr. Diana Eck, professor of comparative
religion and Indian studies and director of the
Pluralism Project at Harvard University, reminded
the delegates that many wars and conflicts of past
and present have been fanned by religious
communities.

"We as churches need to take the leadership in
constructive dialogue," she said.  The United
Methodist laywoman observed that the communities of
the world are not just multi-cultural but multi-
religious.  "We need to work on the narrow and
exclusivistic  theologies that try to circle the
wagons around God.  God is not ours, but indeed we
are God's," she asserted.

Dr. Eck's presentation provided the context for
the small group discussions that followed, during
which General Assembly members offered their
insights toward development of a new NCC policy
statement on interfaith relations.  They were asked
to identify how inter-religious relationships most
affect them and their churches, and what interfaith
issues they think the policy statement must address.

The NCC's Interfaith Relations Commission will
present the proposed policy to the next General
Assembly, in November 1998, for first reading, and
for second reading and adoption in November 1999.

Another speaker, His Holiness Aram I,
Catholicos, House of Cilicia, Armenian Apostolic
Church, said that ecumenism, or interfaith
relations, has been delegated too frequently in some
churches to an elite - in some an elite made up of
clergy and in others an elite made up of bishops.

"The whole people of God must become part and
parcel of ecumenism," he declared. As moderator of
the World Council of Churches Central Committee, he
urged identifying and redefining ecumenism.
Collaboration with the Roman Catholic Church is an
important aspect of this movement, he added.  "We
need local ecumenism, and we also need global
ecumenism," he urged and insisted that ecumenical
dialogue must be flexible and relevant.

He said that ethical, moral and spiritual
issues "are becoming more and more divisive" - more
than doctrinal issues.

NCC and NCCB Exchange Greetings

 WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 12 ---- High officials
of the National Council of Churches and National
Conference of Catholic Bishops affirmed the
importance of their relationship today as they
brought formal greetings on behalf of their
organizations simultaneously to each others'
assemblies, meeting concurrently in Washington, D.C.

 It was the first time for officers of the NCC
and the NCCB to exchange greetings before their
seated assemblies - meeting by rare and happy
circumstance in the same city during the same week.
NCC and NCCB officials meet frequently in other
settings, and Cardinal Keeler spoke at the November
1993 installation service of the Rev. Dr. Gordon
Sommers as NCC President for 1994-95.

Bishop Joseph A. Fiorenza, NCCB Vice President,
addressed the NCC's General Assembly, whose 270
delegates represent 34 communions (denominations)
with a combined membership of 52 million Protestant
and Orthodox Christians.

He sounded a millennial theme, proclaiming,
"The celebration of the Great Jubilee Year 2000 is a
wonderful and graced opportunity for Christian
Churches to advance together on the path towards the
unity Christ desires among those who confess to
believe in Him."

He encouraged Christians across the nation to
prepare for the Jubilee with ecumenical prayer
services, other joint celebrations and common social
projects.

At the same hour, across town, the NCC's
President, United Methodist Bishop Melvin Talbert,
and President Elect for 1998-99, Episcopal Bishop
Craig Anderson, spoke to the nation's Roman Catholic
bishops.  "It is truly by God's grace that we are
here," declared Bishop Talbert.  Said Bishop
Anderson, "We are all related, all brothers and
sisters in Christ."

Excerpts: NCC General Secretary Joan B. Campbell's
Report to the Assembly

 "This morning we received into membership the
34th member communion.  The Mar Thoma Church, with
its roots in the ancient Christian community of
Kerala in India, deepens our diversity....Dare we
allow them, in the words of Paul to Timothy, to stir
into flame the faith that is already in us?  Is this
moment not like the moment of baptism when we
rejoice with the newly baptized and in the process
reaffirm our own baptism?  The baptismal vows remind
us of our special status as children of a God who
loves us.  The promise to lead a life worthy of the
calling to which we have been called newly claims
us!  So I say to those who have been with the
Council for these 48 years, dare to see again the
vision of unity through the untarnished eyes of
these newly 'baptized.'  Let our vision be large,
whole and embracing....

 "Each of us our churches has gifts as well as
challenges....These gifts of the Spirit given to each
church are not to hold as private possessions, but
gifts given in trust for the good of all.  They are
gifts to contribute, not to isolate nor to secure
special privilege.  Gifts that are Spirit-given are
always incomplete if held in isolation.  This is the
essence of ecumenical theology, essential for
ecumenical understanding.  For the ecumenical
movement to be faithful, there must be gifts that
differ that are then shared to build up the body of
Christ.  In this assembly, we will three times sit
together ecumenically (rather than as communion
delegations).  This is not just a process decision,
but to help us discern the gifts of each to all.
Perhaps our most important ecumenical question ought
to be: How can each prepare best to receive the
gifts of the other?  How, together, can we be of
service to the whole?  How can we join our gifts in
such a way that we bear witness in the public arena
to a God who loves us?  What a difference it would
make if these were our questions....

 "Two years ago, your predecessor body, the
General Board, put in place principles, guidance and
structured proposals for a transformed Council....The
sought-after transformation will require a sustained
dedication to nurturing a broader ecumenical vision
in the life of the Council as well as in
relationship with many in the Christian Community
who have not been participants in the nearly 50
years of our conciliar ecumenical effort.

 "But there are signs that bode well for
increased cooperation.  I would be bold and claim
that the cold war between the National Council of
Churches and the National Association of
Evangelicals has ended.  Don Argue and I consult
regularly.  We meet several times a year with
Cardinal Keeler and this morning the NCC's heads of
communion set in motion a proposal for a Summit on
Racial Justice and Reconciliation to be held in
January 1999 jointly with the NAE and the National
Black Evangelical Association...."

NCC General Assembly Acts on National Ministries
Concerns

NO BARRIERS FOR DEAF PEOPLE IN CHURCHES:  A new
NCC policy that reveals the barriers that make
church settings inaccessible to Deaf and hard of
hearing people and offers recommendations for change
received unanimous final approval on second reading
Nov. 12 by the Council's General Assembly.

Points from the policy include:

  "Christians have believed and taught from the
very beginning that God is the Creator of all
people, that Jesus came to save all people,
and that the Holy Spirit gives gifts to all
people.  And yet we know that over time, the
Church has grown and continues to grow in its
understanding of this inclusive doctrine."

  "Deaf Christians are painfully aware that
over 27 million Deaf or hard of hearing
persons in North America ("The Deaf Nation")
find church doors partially or completely
closed to them."  Perhaps less than 10
percent of the deaf community are churched.

  Deaf and hard of hearing people do not make
up a homogenous community.  Some bond with a
common community and participate in a common
culture (called Deaf culture).  The language
of this culture is American Sign Language, an
indigenous sign language that is historically
and structurally distinct from English.

  A second group of audiologically deaf or hard
of hearing people use a form of signing
structurally based on English, and tend to
share values with both Deaf and hearing
worlds and to have contacts in both
communities.  There also are people who have
hearing losses -  developed typically in
later life - who continue to identify with
the values and cultures of hearing persons.

  The policy includes ample recommendations for
reaching out to each of these three groups.

ORGAN, TISSUE DONATION:  The General Assembly
of the National Council of Churches, during its
annual meeting here, passed its first resolution
supporting organ and tissue transplantation.

 The measure, presented by Dr. Clive Callender,
chief of surgery at Howard University Hospital,
commits the NCC to working on education and
awareness about transplantation, encouraging its
member communions to the same, using educational
materials available from the U.S. Department of
Health and Human Services and, through an amendment,
initiating a study of the ethical implications of
marketing human organs and transplant tissue to be
reported back next year.

Dr. Callender reminded delegates that it is
illegal to buy or sell organs or tissue in the
United States, but indicated that he was aware of
the practice in some other countries.  In presenting
the resolution, he noted that the national Minority
Organ and Tissue Transplantation Education Program
(MOTTEP) had proven its effectiveness, more than
tripling the percentage of African Americans who had
signed up as potential donors.

CHURCHES AND PUBLIC EDUCATION:  A first reading
was given a proposed policy on public education that
urges "a national crusade to save the public schools
and to bring all children the abundant life which
ought by rights be theirs as children of God."

The proposed policy, which makes several points
and offers suggestions for church action at several
levels, will come before next year's General
Assembly for a vote.

"The public schools are the primary route for
most children-especially the children of poverty-
into full participation in our economic, political,
and community life," says the report which also
calls the public schools "a cornerstone of our
democracy."  It mentions attacks on public education
by people representing religious, cultural and
economic views which offer little or no support for
public schooling.

Several delegates, while expressing support for
the document in general, took exception to language
that would totally bar the use of  use of public
money for any non-public education.

Dr. Bennett W. Smith Sr., president of the
Progressive National Baptist Convention and pastor
of  St. James Church in Buffalo, N.Y.,  said there
is a trend to push minority children who are slow
learners for whatever reason into special education
where they do not receive the education they need.

He established a Christian day school four
years ago for special education children who are now
performing above grade level, and eighth graders are
reading at college level.  The school, using retired
school teachers, has achieved so much success that
it has attracted the children of  professionals.

The Rev. Wesley Granberg-Michaelson of the
Reformed Church in America said, "We do not exist in
a situation where the same options are available to
the poor as to the affluent."  He suggested adding a
provision to the policy that would allow public
money to be used for limited scholarships and
limited experiments with choice in urban situations.

Shannon Clarkson  of  the United Church of
Christ urged addition to the statement of some
material on charter schools that had been prepared
as part of a theological basis for the policy
statement.

Peg Chemberlin of the Minnesota Council of
Churches noted that the strong stand against
vouchers would make working with Roman Catholics at
the state level more difficult.  She also asked that
the NCC keep in mind that much education policy
occurs at the state and local level.

In other action the NCC supported clemency for
Leonard Peltier, a Native American sentenced to two
life terms following the Pine Ridge Reservation
confrontation  between 35 American Indians and more
than 150 combat-armed law enforcement agents. The
resolution was presented by Dennis Banks, national
field director of the American Indian Movement.

CHURCHES AND DISABILITIES:  A proposed NCC
policy statement on disabilities received its first
reading.  One asked for contextual analysis, where
we are now in working for a better future (Kim
Jefferson)  Another asked for it to touch more the
grassroots.

LEONARD PELTIER: The Assembly called on President
Clinton to grant executive clemency to Leonard Peltier, a
Native American sentenced to two life sentences following
the Pine Ridge Reservation confrontation between 35
American Indians and 150 law enforcement agents.  Dennis
Banks of the American Indian Movement presented the
resolution, which cited Mr. Peltier's deteriorating health and
need for special medical care, along with legal questions
surrounding the justice of the verdict against him.

 PAPER USE:  The General Assembly also resolved
to save trees by recycling and other measures.

Installation of Bishop Craig B. Anderson as NCC
President for 1998-99

 WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 12 ---- The National
Council of Churches new president, Episcopal Bishop
Craig B. Anderson, was installed at a service at the
Washington National Cathedral this evening.

 Earlier in the day, Ambassador and Civil Rights
Leader Andrew Young of the United Church of Christ
and the Rev. Elenora Giddings Ivory of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), were elected
President-Elect and Vice-President for National
Ministries, respectively.  Ambassador Young will
serve in the office of NCC President Elect in 1998-
99 and as NCC President in 2000-01.  Rev. Giddings
Ivory will serve through 1999.

 The installation service included many elements
representative of the diversity of the NCC which
Bishop Anderson will serve for the next two years.

The local Washington Conference Choir of the
Second Episcopal District of the African Methodist
Episcopal Church performed two anthems.  The Epistle
Lesson was read by Dr. Zacharias Mar Theophilus,
Bishop of the Mar Thoma Church, a newly elected full
member communion of the NCC.

The Rev. Robert Two Bulls of the Ogala Sioux
Nation in Red Shirt Table, S.D., sang a Lakota
Honoring Song.  Bishop Anderson served as the eighth
Bishop of the Diocese of South Dakota for nine years
and counts this time as crucial to his spiritual
development.

Bishop Vinton Anderson , Bishop of the 2nd
Episcopal District, African Methodist Episcopal
Church, preached a challenging sermon based on the
Gospel Lesson, which was the "good Samaritan" story
from Luke 10:25-37.

Entitled "When Neglect Becomes Violence,"
Bishop Vinton Anderson said that in the parable from
Luke 10, "we find the sufficient basis for the
challenge Bishop Craig Anderson will face as
President of the NCC."

He pointed out that the victimization of the
human family through acts of violence is being
addressed in his denomination and ecumenical
organizations like the World Council of Churches.
The man who is beaten in the Luke story "could be
anyone, man, woman or child," he said.

"We in the Church must pay special attention to
neglect becoming violence," he challenged.  "The
Church does nothing about the victimization of
neglect.  We rationalize our inaction, declaring it
against our policy or principles to get involved."

Just as any of us could be the victim in the
parable, "any of us can be guilty of violence by
neglect," he continued.

"Our advanced technological society leaves too
many victims" by neglect, Bishop Vinton Anderson
preached.  "The globalization of business and
industry impacts developing nations and robs natural
resources as well as robbing indigenous people of
their land rights.  The few and the rich benefit at
the expense of the many and the poor" from this
system.

"Jericho roads still exist, and we are the new
priest and the new Levite," he said.  "We dare not
pass by on the other side of the road."

"In the days ahead, we will listen for the
voice of Craig Anderson," he said.  "He brings a
devoted spirituality, the gift of pastoral care and
a social consciousness.  Like the parable, he
reminds us that everyone is a neighbor.  We will
wish our President to lead us to serious action"
rather than the inaction of neglect.

Following Bishop Craig Anderson's vows of
installation, in which he promised to build and
strengthen the ecumenical community and to uphold
the member communions in prayer, and a litany of
installation in which the NCC General Assembly
delegates accepted him, outgoing President Bishop
Talbert presented the Cross to incoming President
Bishop Anderson.

"It has been my distinct honor to wear this
mantle of responsibility," Bishop Talbert said.
"Now I give it to you.  May God's blessed grace,
peace and strength" be with you.

Newly installed President Anderson made some
brief comments before his final blessing.  After
thanks to the Cathedral, Choir and others, he said,
"It is not by accident that I chose the Washington
National Cathedral for my installation.  It is a
House of Prayer for all people.  Also, it is the
National Cathedral and we are the National Council
of Churches.  This Cathedral overlooks our nation's
Capitol, for which we pray.  Its mission is to
provide a clear, forceful, compelling articulation
of the Gospel, so that we might not neglect but we
might remember and we might serve.

"Our vision must spread to this Capitol and to
the world God sustains and loves."
 -0-