From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Re: United Methodist Daily News note 470

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org (United Methodist News list)
Date 24 Nov 1997 15:34:23

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS 97" by SUSAN PEEK on April 15, 1997 at 14:24
Eastern, about DAILY NEWS RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (476
notes).

Note 475 by UMNS on Nov. 24, 1997 at 16:15 Eastern (4431 characters).

TITLE:	Hispanic Caucus Looks at Future

Contact:  Joretta Purdue  	663(10-32-71B){475}
		Washington, D.C.  (202) 546-8722  	Nov. 24, 1997

Hispanic caucus seeks ways
to be church for young

	SAN FRANCISCO (UMNS) -- The future of Hispanic United Methodists and Hispanic
young people dominated the 26th annual assembly of the church's Hispanic
caucus here Nov. 20-22.
	Methodists Associated Representing the Cause of Hispanic Americans (MARCHA)
heard the Rev. Michael Rivas ask how their church can be open to change and
reality rather than a slave to the past.
	He warned that there are no expert teachers to provide the right answer to
this problem.
	Rivas, a deputy general secretary of the churchwide Board of Global
Ministries, in two presentations tackled the assembly theme, "Challenging the
church to contextualize its ministry to reach new generations," with facts and
analysis.
	"We live in a global economy," he declared and warned of growing inequality
both in the United States and throughout the world because of that economy.
	Of Hispanic-American workers in the United States, 79 percent have annual
incomes of less than $25,000, he said, and only 3.6 percent earn more than
$50,000 a year. In 1996, one-third of Hispanic children lived in single parent
homes, up from 20 percent in 1980, he said.
	In the coming century the young Hispanic population -- average age now is
more than 10 years younger than the general U.S. population -- will be paying
the Social Security of white retirees at the same time the elderly will be
voting down support for schools and other services to children, a large
proportion of whom will be Hispanic, Rivas predicted.
	Ignoring or not responding to these and other issues is not an option, he
cautioned, adding that Hispanic United Methodists need to regain their ability
to shape their own future and not wait for a from-the-top-down solution.
	Continuing the same theme, the Rev. Yolanda Pupo-Ortiz, an associate general
secretary of the United Methodist Commission on Religion and Race, said rather
than waiting to see what the denomination will do for Hispanics, Hispanics
need "to take charge of ourselves." In doing this they may provide a model to
the whole church, she said.
	"We cannot contextualize our ministry following others' contexts," she said.
Creating and distributing information may be important, but few Hispanics have
e-mail or access to the Internet, she observed.
	To be God's instrument for the future, people must begin by facing the
present, she said, basing her message on the story of Joseph, who, when sold
into slavery, became a power in the Pharaoh's Egypt and subsequently was able
to save his family from starvation.
	Bishop Melvin Talbert, presiding bishop of the San Francisco area, told the
group, "No one has a greater right than you. ... We are one in Jesus Christ,
and it's time we began to act like it."
	The Rev. Minerva Carcaņo, who heads the Mexican American Program at Perkins
Theological Seminary, encouraged people to live in community.
	"Our faith is strengthened when we believe together" and experience the gifts
of each other, she declared. "We accept the diversity that God has given us."
	A two-day exploration of Christian vocations for more than 30 Hispanic youth
and young adults preceded the MARCHA assembly. Some of the young people led
devotions and offered a panel giving their perspectives of what their
generation wants and needs from the church.
	In the business session, a proposal to create a commission on Hispanic youth
within MARCHA was accepted in principle and a committee began working on a
revision of by-laws that would, if accepted, implement the change at the
assembly in Chicago next November.
	The group celebrated with the Rev. Juan Vera-Mendez, his election as bishop
of the affiliated autonomous Methodist church of Puerto Rico and had prayer
with him. Vera-Mendez will be consecrated Jan. 11 at a service in Puerto Rico.
	MARCHA also passed a resolution asking that the U.S. embargo of Cuba as it
applies to food and medical supplies be lifted. Members agreed to support Rio
Grande Conference in its effort to join the Parish Partners program and
Humboldt Park United Methodist Church in Chicago in its effort to continue its
program for the homeless despite opposition from city authorities.
	Mary Silva of San Antonio, Texas, presided. The Rev. Jose Orlando Rivera is
executive director.
	#  #  #

 To make suggestions or give your comments, send a note to
 umns@ecunet.org or Susan_Peek@ecunet.org

 This article sent to both the umethnews list <umethnews-request@ecunet.org>
 and also to the Worldwide Faith News list wfn-news <majordomo@wfn.org>
 Look at the header files to figure out which this is.