From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Poethig Is Denied Second Term as CMD Director

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 24 Nov 1997 17:36:07

18-November-1997
97446

    Poethig Is Denied Second Term as CMD Director

    by Julian Shipp

SANTA FE, N.M.--In a move that stunned many and left others clamoring for
answers, the Congregational Ministries Division (CMD) Committee voted not
to renew the four-year term of CMD director the Rev. Eunice B. Poethig
during its Nov. 12-15 meeting here.

    In rejecting a second term for Poethig, the CMD Committee concurred
with a recommendation from the General Assembly Council's (GAC) End of Term
Review Committee. However, the CMD committee added a recommendation that
Poethig's current term, which is due to expire Feb. 28, 1998, be extended
through Sept. 30, when a new GAC executive director is scheduled to be in
place.

    The committee asked Poethig to stay on until September so that her
"leadership, gifts and experience may give stability to the staff and
program of the division."  Interviewed in Louisville, Ky., after the
meeting, Poethig told the Presbyterian News Service she has agreed to stay
on under the condition that she be allowed to reserve the option of a
standard 30-day separation notice should other options develop.

    The division committee met two times Nov. 14 for a total of more than
five hours before opening in plenary later that evening and announcing its
decision.

    The division will surely need leadership as it undergoes several
significant changes in the near future. For instance, the division will
soon begin the search for a new associate director for its Stewardship
Program Area. Vivian Johnson, who is ending her employment in that position
in January, has agreed to stay on through February.

    Additionally, the division is scheduled to host a major retreat next
spring to set goals and propose ways its activities can be integrated with
other denominational programs for the GAC's "Toward 2000" Committee as it
drafts its plans for the denomination in the next millennium.

    The Curriculum Publishing Program Area, a fledgling CMD organization,
will also require strong leadership as its competes for its share in the
curriculum market.

    Poethig, who was confirmed as CMD director by the GAC in 1993 following
eight years as executive presbyter for Western New York Presbytery, was a
model of composure during the meeting as she received the news.  She said
she had no warning of the End of Term Review Committee's recommendation.

    "What was shocking was that there was no discussion by the [End of Term
Review Committee] and I had no advance indication from staff or others that
I would [not be recommended for another term]," Poethig said. "The [GAC]
Manual of Operations calls for a two- to three-hour dialogue session, which
I understand to be a discernment session. That never took place. ... They
had already made up their minds that they weren't going to recommend a
second term and therefore no discussion took place. The whole interview [on
Nov. 11] took less than 20 minutes."

    The Rev. John Evans of Davidson, N.C.,  a member of the Personnel
Committee of the GAC Executive Committee and chair of the CMD's  End of
Term Review Committee, confirmed the brevity of the interview with Poethig
and told the Presbyterian News Service he apologizes if Poethig feels she
was not "dealt with in a good way." Evans said he believes Poethig deserves
applause and thanks for her service to the church, but added many feel it
is time for new leadership as the denomination enters the new millennium.

    "Poethig has done a really good job and has great character," Evans
said. "It's not anything like that. The review team simply looked at the
data and said it's time for a new day for the Congregational Ministries
Division and we can applaud what [Poethig] has done."

    In accordance with the GAC Manual of Operations, the End of Term Review
Committee makes its recommendation to the CMD Committee, which then makes
its recommendation to the GAC. The review process within the division
committee must be completed 60 days before a director's term ends.

    Also in accordance with the manual, Poethig said, she was asked to give
the names of approximately 30 people (with an emphasis on Presbyterians
outside the Presbyterian Center in Louisville) to be sent evaluation
questionnaires.

    However, in addition to Poethig's list, the End of Term Review
Committee sent evaluation forms to more than 100 other persons, including
CMD Committee members who served during 1996-97 and all exempt CMD staff.
About 90 out of a total of 145 questionnaires were returned to the End of
Term Review Committee, according to Evans.

    Evans said the Review Committee then looked at the data and came to its
conclusion unanimously.

    "We had a level playing field on that," Evans said. "[Poethig] picked
her names and I told her we've added to that the members of the division
committee not on your list who served from 1996 to 1997. Then we added to
it the exempt staff from the division not on her list."

    While the decision about renewing Poethig's term had to be made by the
CMD  Committee before the next GAC meeting, in February, several committee
members also expressed concern over the review process. Consequently, CMD
Committee chair the Rev. John McFayden of Woodbridge, Va., said the
committee will forward its concerns and recommendations regarding the
review process for division directors to the GAC Executive Committee.

    McFayden said that in making its decision the committee heard "from a
number of people," including several CMD staff members. He said failing to
recommend Poethig for a second term as division director was "not an easy
process to undertake or decision to make."

    "This action came after long hours of prayerful discussion, as we
struggled with the many implications of such a decision," McFayden said.
"In the process, we reviewed a great deal of data received from staff,
committee members and others familiar with [Poethig] and her work. During
our discussions we were very aware of [Poethig's] accomplishments, not the
least of which was providing leadership necessary for the successful
birthing of the division and its support of the ministry of congregations
of our denomination."

    Poethig said that one of the biggest obstacles she has faced as a
division director is the expectation that she can control decisions that
come out of the Staff Leadership Team (the GAC executive director, the
three division directors and the director of the Technology and Finance
Office) or that the team is able to make the decisions staff want made.

    Poethig said that in the present church hierarchy it is the Staff
Leadership Team (SLT) in which there is the most difficulty in getting
timely decisions made. Poethig said concerns of the SLT are often not the
same as the concerns of staff who are working in the divisions.

    "This is not a judgment on the members of the Staff Leadership Team,"
Poethig said. "It's a judgment on the current environment in which we are
trying to do our work and provide leadership to the General Assembly
Council and the denomination."

    Poethig also avoided passing judgment on the CMD staff, saying she has
"appreciated the devotion of each of them." In the remaining time she has,
Poethig said, she will continue to serve the division, but will also pursue
other opportunities as they arise.

    "Serving the church in this difficult climate is a challenge to every
person, from pastors of local congregations to moderators of presbyteries,
synods and General Assemblies to the leadership of the General Assembly
Council," Poethig said. "Over the past four years we have hired many new
staff and I have been astounded at the incredible talent of persons who
have responded to our call and God's call to serve here. And I have never
believed more strongly in that call than I [do] now."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>