From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterians Arrested at School of The Americas Protest

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 24 Nov 1997 17:37:17

18-November-1997
97441

    Presbyterians Arrested at School
    of The Americas Protest

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

COLUMBUS, Ga.--Nine members of the Presbyterian Peace Fellowship were among
500 protesters arrested here Nov. 16 as part of an ongoing effort to force
closure of the U.S. Army School of the Americas (SOA) at nearby Fort
Benning.

    More than 1,000 persons prayed silently outside the gates of the
school, whose graduates have been linked to torture, assassination and
other human rights abuses in Latin America, while the 500 protesters
trespassed onto the base carrying crosses and coffins containing nearly 1
million petition signatures demanding the closure of the school.

    One of the Presbyterians, the Rev. Steve Brown of Greeley, Colo., said,
"We have met with the Pentagon, we have written our elected officials and
now we are risking arrest to follow Jesus by telling the truth about the
SOA as a breeding ground for terrorism."  Presbyterians arrested included
the co- chairs of the Presbyterian Peace Fellowship, Marilyn White of
League City, Texas, and Meta Ukena of Pelham, N.Y.

    Established in 1946 and funded by U.S. tax dollars, the SOA's graduates
have included Manuel Noriega, the ex-dictator of Panama now imprisoned in
the U.S. for drug running; Salvadoran death squad commander Roberto
d'Abuisson; Guatemalan military officers who led the killing of more than
200,000 indigenous Mayan Indians; the assassin of Salvadoran archbishop
Oscar Romero; and 19 of the 27 soldiers identified as the 1989 killers of
six Jesuit priests and their housekeeper and her daughter at the University
of Central America in San Salvador, El Salvador.

    The effort to close the SOA was initiated by Catholic priest Father Ray
Bourgeoise after the Jesuit killings.

    The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) General Assembly has repeatedly called
for the closing of the SOA.  Former General Assembly and Presbyterian Peace
Fellowship moderator the Rev. Clinton Marsh said, "Congress and the
administration must move quickly to end this disgraceful and horrific
chapter.  The American people do not want to help train military dictators
to wage war against their own civilian populations."

    The most recent congressional effort to close the SOA fell seven votes
short of passage by the House of Representatives.

    The Presbyterian Peace Fellowship was founded in 1945.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>