From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church World Service Ups North Korea Relief;

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 24 Nov 1997 17:37:22

14-November-1997
97437

    Church World Service Ups North Korea Relief;
    Delegation Says Situation "Stabilized But Not Solved"

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--On Nov. 7, with winter approaching, Church World Service
(CWS), the National Council of Churches ecumenical relief agency through
which the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) channels much of its international
relief, contributed $200,000 worth of blankets to beleaguered North Korea.

    The blankets are the latest in a series of contributions by CWS to
North Korea this year that now total more than $2.5 million.  Previous
shipments to the famine-wracked country included barley seed, seed corn,
food and medicine.  Funds for the blankets were contributed by
congregations around the country that participate in CWS' Blanket Program.

    Meanwhile, four CWS representatives who participated in a 10-person
delegation to North Korea Nov. 4-8 reported upon their return that the
hunger situation there "has been stabilized but not solved."

    Bishop Howard E. Wennes, a board member of Lutheran World Relief, said,
"We came away convinced that this is a nation desperately in need of
continued and increased aid, including partnerships to address the
development challenges that will outlast droughts and floods."

    North Korea has suffered from two years of floods and one year of
drought that have destroyed most of the nation's crops and completely
eliminated its food reserves.

    "There is no question that without international humanitarian
assistance, conditions would be far, far worse," said Victor Hsu, East Asia
Office director for CWS.  "But I think that one must continually underline
that this is short-term.  Humanitarian assistance is providing an
absolutely bare minimum of food subsistence -- probably only enough to last
through the winter.  The long-term problems for North Korea are structural
in nature and must be addressed if it is to be productive again."

    Rabbi Alexander Schindler, past president of the Union of the American
Hebrew Congregations and a board member of the American Jewish Joint
Distribution Committee, described the delegation's visit to "a hospital
whose corridors were chillingly cold.  There were no blankets on the beds,
no soap to wash hands, no unpolluted water to quench the thirst of the
fevered patients.  The pharmacy shelves were devoid of bare necessities."

    In spite of this adversity, "we were much moved by the Koreans' hard
work and determination to care for and feed their own against impossible
odds," Wennes said.  "We saw whole communities -- from school children to
the elderly -- harvesting cabbage, the last precious crop of a bad year and
before a third tough winter."

    Said Kenneth Hackett, executive director of Catholic Relief Services:
"We found people working together with a great deal of love."

    Hsu said significant changes have taken place over the last several
months in the way aid is handled in North Korea.  "The system of aid
distribution has been decentralized," he noted.  "The aid can now go to
various outlets."  Some critics of North Korean aid have argued that the
government there has redirected humanitarian aid to the army.

    But "we cannot allow our religious and humanitarian obligations to be
fixed by the boundaries of a single nation, continent or even religion,"
said Schindler.  "I can report that there is not a single Jew in North
Korea," he joked, but added, "The fact that there are no Jews there does
not lessen our determination to reach out and help.  When a five-year-old
girl is shivering and starving, it is of little concern to us which
spiritual path she and her parents choose."

    Bishop Wennes concluded, "One of our colleagues on the trip described
this struggle as `the last battle of the Cold War.' Might it be possible to
win this one for both sides -- with bread, not bombs, with medicines
instead of landmines?  We say `yes' because we are people who share a faith
memory.  Hope says it has happened before.  Love says it can happen again."

(Information for this story furnished by Carol Fouke and Wendy McDowell,
NCC)

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>