From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Congregations in Global Mission" Conference

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 24 Nov 1997 17:39:32

14-November-1997
97439

    "Congregations in Global Mission" Conference
    Hailed as a Turning Point in Presbyterian Church

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

ST. LOUIS, Mo.--In what many called a watershed event, more than 500
mission-minded Presbyterians from 40 states and numerous countries overseas
gathered here Nov. 8-11 to share stories and ideas and to explore the
current and future directions of Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) global
mission.

    "Mission, mission, mission," said former General Assembly moderator
Marj Carpenter, greeting the cheering crowd early in the conference.  "I
knew that if I chanted it long enough someone would listen -- this
conference proves that you have."  Carpenter, who said the church "had kind
of forgotten about mission for a while there," told conference participants
that she was "greatly rejuvenated" by the conference and called it "a real
turning point, I hope and believe," in the Presbyterian Church's commitment
to global mission.

    The conference, "Congregations in Global Mission: New Models for a New
Century," was sponsored by the General Assembly's Worldwide Ministries
Division (WMD), but a vast majority of the event's planning committee came
from congregations, not the national staff, and the conference was clearly
designed to provide participants with opportunities to tell their stories
of congregational involvement in global mission and to glean workable ideas
from each other about how to increase hands-on involvement in mission work
in this country and around the world.

    The Rev. Marian McClure, newly elected WMD director, signaled the
intent of denominational global mission officials when she was introduced
early in the conference.  "I didn't come with a prepared speech because I
want to learn from you what is working in your congregations," she told the
crowd.  "When I do speak," she said, referring to her closing address on
the final morning of the conference, "I want it to be responsive to what I
have learned from you during this time together."

    Later, in her prepared remarks, McClure said she is "grateful that
God's mission has a church and that we are part of it."  She praised the
"diverse partnerships" that have come to characterize Presbyterian global
mission and called for "greater mutuality and understanding for the sake of
the reign of God."

    She called on conference participants to be "dichotomy-busters" -- to
refute the assumption that Presbyterians have to choose between evangelism
and social action, to reject the notion that long-term missionaries are
more valuable than short-termers or volunteers, to challenge the idea that
congregations have to choose between local and global mission, and to seek
genuine equality with mission partners and be "better stewards of our
privilege."

    The themes of unity and partnership in mission resounded through the
entire conference.  During his opening address, General Assembly stated
clerk and former WMD director the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick said that "the
unity of the church lies in its commitment to mission."  At the heart of
the church's life, he said, "is the fact that we have been given the love
of Jesus Christ -- not to keep it, but to share it throughout the world."

    Kirkpatrick, who joined the global mission staff of the General
Assembly in 1981, said he has seen "a world of change in 17 years."  When
he began, he explained, "the denomination did global mission for the
churches."  Now, he said, "every congregation and governing body in our
great Presbyterian Church is called to be a missionary society."

    Direct involvement by congregations in global mission is essential,
Kirkpatrick said, "for personal growth and corporate renewal.  Like never
before, the world needs us to be a counterwitness to destruction,
injustice, divisiveness, hatred, hunger.  To help all the world rediscover
that unity in mission is what holds us together and is at the heart of the
gospel."

    Presbyterians have always been on the cutting edge of global mission,
said the Rev. Sherron K. George, a former missionary to Brazil who is now
professor of missions and evangelism at Austin Presbyterian Theological
Seminary.

    "Health, education, development, refugees, accompaniment, bringing
missionaries to the U.S., peacemaking, young adult volunteers, presbytery
partnerships -- we have always understood that the church is given form by
God's activity in the world," she said, "and that our reason for living is
mission -- to give our life away for others as Christ did."

    In an exhilarating exposition of the Presbyterian Church's history of
global mission involvement, George surveyed the various "paradigms" the
denomination has employed to structure its global mission enterprise.  The
church is currently undergoing a massive shift, she said, from a highly
centralized model in which the denomination "sent out missionaries" to
other countries to a model in which congregations are central to the
enterprise and in which missionaries are both "going and coming" as
immigrant communities grow in the U.S. and maturing churches in other
countries send missionaries here.

    This partnership between U.S. churches and mission churches in other
countries that are now strong on their own is a hallmark of the new
emerging model of global mission in the Presbyterian Church, George
continued.

    "The congregation is the most important mission agency in this new
paradigm and it requires partners," she said.  "The new model is a web, not
a hierarchy, and it requires finding partners.  Everyone can do it, but no
one can do it alone."

    And churches of all sizes can be involved, said the Rev. Ann Owens
Brunger, pastor of the 150- member Highland Presbyterian Church in
Maryville, Tenn.  Describing her congregation as "being ordained by God to
be a small but diverse faith community active in global mission," Brunger
said the keys are pastoral leadership and a willingness "to give our first
fruits to mission."

    Mission, she said, "is more about relationships than money -- that out
of relationship with God flows love, trust, hope, a hunger for justice and
a commitment to our neighbors."  She described Christian mission as "a
pattern of concentric circles, starting where you are and going out."

    At Highland Church, Brunger said, the congregation began by reaching
out to Maryville College, a PC(USA)-related school across the street.
Mission awareness grew as the congregation learned to welcome international
students and visitors who came to the college.  "The real challenge," she
said, "is to welcome the existing diversity out there into our
congregations."

    Genuine partnership -- the willingness to share power and resources --
is "responsible living in complementary relationships," said the Rev.
Maitland Evans, general secretary of the United Church in Jamaica and the
Grand Cayman Islands.

    Recalling the biblical story of Esther, Evans said that "when we find
ourselves in the palace of power, we must make sure we know what is our
role and purpose."  The challenge facing Christians living in
industrialized countries, he said, "is how to resist becoming addicted to
the consumerism of the global marketplace."

    Calling the crushing burden of two-thirds-world debt combined with
degradation of the environment and exploitation of labor and natural
resources in the poorer regions of the world "the towering reality of our
global context," Evans called on the church to "turn from fractured
dependence to partnered interdependence."

    The real test of Christian life and mission, he concluded, "is our
ability to enter into qualitatively different relationships ... partnership
that invades and brings down the walls of separation and division
everywhere."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>