From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

John Wesley’s Ministry at Newcastle

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org (United Methodist News list)
Date 02 Dec 1997 14:34:23

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS 97" by SUSAN PEEK on April 15, 1997 at 14:24
Eastern, about DAILY NEWS RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (485
notes).

Note 484 by UMNS on Dec. 2, 1997 at 15:00 Eastern (6387 characters).

CONTACT: Linda Green						  672(10-71B){484}
	   Nashville, Tenn. (615)742-5470			   	Dec. 2, 1997

Editors: A photo is available.

John Wesley takes ministry to
Newcastle, despite obstacles

A UMNS Feature
by John Singleton*

I am sure John Wesley would appreciate the magnificent vista of Newcastle upon
Tyne which opens up from the railroad as it crosses high over the River Tyne.
It’s a grand way to arrive in this northern English city; but not for Wesley,
the comforts of an inter-city train.  The founder of Methodism made his
frequent visits to what became known as the "northern cornerstone" of the
movement on horseback or, in later years, by chaise.
The recently refurbished obelisk and horse trough -- originally erected in
1892 to mark the centenary of Wesley’s death -- which now stands in Wesley
Square, an attractively rejuvenated area of Newcastle’s quayside, is an
appropriate reminder of the steed, as well as its rider.
The going was often tough, especially in the winter snows.  Wesley records a
journey to Newcastle in 1745 when they were forced to dismount and lead their
horses.  "It was past eight before we got to Gateshead-Fell, which appeared a
great pathless waste of white," he wrote in his journal. "The snow filling up
and covering all the roads, we were at a loss how to proceed; when an honest
man of Newcastle  overtook and guided us safely into the town.  Many a rough
journey have I had before, but one like this I never had; between wind, and
hail, and rain, and ice, and snow, and driving sleet, and piercing cold. . .
."
That was 100 years before Robert Stephenson supervised the driving of the
first pile of his famous "bow and string" High Level Bridge which still
carries road and rail traffic over the Tyne.  The industrial revolution, well
underway towards the end of Wesley’s life, expanded Newcastle into an
important industrial and transportation center on a par with London and
Bristol.  These three places formed a "triangle" of the main centers of early
Methodism around which John Wesley and his brother Charles habitually
traveled.
The opportunity that long journeys afford for reading, writing, and
conversation, was never lost on the Wesleys.  While riding to Newcastle in
1748, John records that he finished reading the 10th Iliad of Homer, marveling
at the "amazing genius" of the Greek philosopher.  And when he left Newcastle
four days later, he was reading Dr. Hodges’ "Account of the Plague in London"
with critical enthusiasm.
Seven months after Wesley battled through atrocious weather to reach
Newcastle, he returned to find the populace in a state of "utmost
consternation."  The Jacobite rebellion was underway and news had been
received that the forces of Bonnie Prince Charlie, the pretender to the
throne, had entered Edinburgh, only 100 miles north of Newcastle, and were
poised to move south.
"Fear and darkness were now on every side; but not on those who had seen the
light of God’s countenance," wrote Wesley.  "We rejoiced together in the
evening with solemn joy, while God applied those words to many hearts, ‘Fear
not ye; for I know that ye seek Jesus which was crucified.’"
With the rumor-mill now going into overdrive, citizens were put under arms and
the town gates walled up.  Unfortunately, Wesley’s preaching house on Pilgrim
Street stood "without the walls" and many were concerned for its safety,
especially as the 13th century walls were now bristling with cannon to resist
any attack by the rebels.
"Advice came that they were in full march southward, so that it was supposed
they would reach Newcastle by Monday evening," wrote Wesley on the Sunday.
"At eight, I called on a multitude of sinners in Gateshead, to seek the Lord
while he might be found. . . .In the afternoon I expounded part of the lesson
for the day, Jacob wrestling with the angel.  The congregation was so moved,
that I began again and again, and knew not how to conclude. And we cried
mightily to God to send His Majesty King George help from his holy place, and
to spare a sinful land yet a little longer. . . "
The attack never came, but unperturbed by the supposed danger, Wesley visited
outlying societies in the surrounding countryside before returning to
Newcastle and resisting a threat by the military authorities to pull down his
preaching house on the town walls.  The arrival of a party of rebels -about
1,000 men- within 17 miles of Newcastle occasioned fresh alarm, but no action
by soldiers was taken.
Later, Wesley dined at Ferrybridge, where he had a profitable audience with
the army commander, General Wentworth. "We lay at Doncaster, nothing pleased
with the drunken, cursing, swearing soldiers, who surrounded us on every
side," wrote a despairing Wesley.  "Can these wretches succeed in any thing
they undertake? I fear not, if there be a God that judgeth the earth. . ."
On returning to Newcastle, he arrived at the preaching house just as the hymn
was being given out.  As soon as it ended he began preaching, "without feeling
any want of strength." The next day Wesley wrote: "I found all things calm and
quiet; the consternation of the people was over.  But the seriousness which it
had occasioned in man, continued and increased. . ."
No record of Wesley’s preaching house remains in Pilgrim Street, but fragments
of the ancient city wall can be traced.  Brunswick church, built in 1820,
maintains an important city center ministry and possesses a number of Wesley
artifacts, including what is thought to be the original painting of the young
John Wesley being rescued from the fire at Epworth rectory -- the "brand
plucked from the burning."
On the outside of a shoe shop in Northumberland Street is a plaque
commemorating the site of the Orphan House.  It never actually became a house
for orphans, but served as an important early Methodist center with school,
church and a resting place for worn-out and sick preachers.  It was here, when
taken ill in Newcastle, that John Wesley was nursed back to health by Grace
Murray, the housekeeper.  He fell in love with her . . .  but, as we know,
that’s another story.

# # #

	*Singleton has been on the staff of the Recorder, weekly newspaper of British
Methodism for nearly 30 years. A lay preacher, he is an active member of an
inner-city Methodist church in a multiracial East London neighborhood.

 To make suggestions or give your comments, send a note to
 umns@ecunet.org or Susan_Peek@ecunet.org

 This article sent to both the umethnews list <umethnews-request@ecunet.org>
 and also to the Worldwide Faith News list wfn-news <majordomo@wfn.org>
 Look at the header files to figure out which this is.