From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Planned giving, other programs, grow at Episcopal Church

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 05 Dec 1997 12:37:46

Foundation
December 4, 1997
Episcopal News Service
Jim Solheim, Director
212-922-5385
ens@ecunet.org

97-2038
Planned giving, other programs, grow
at Episcopal Church Foundation

     (ENS) "Planned giving has grown at a dramatic rate" during the
past 30 months, William G. Andersen, Jr., executive director of the
Episcopal Church Foundation said November 14 in announcing new staff
appointments. "Almost $8 million has been given by Episcopalians on
behalf of their congregations, missions, dioceses, and favorite
ministries."
     The increased response to long-term giving is resulting in an
expansion of the foundation's planned giving ministry and the
Cornerstone Project, which produces educational and leadership materials
for clergy and laity. Since 1949 the foundation has sponsored work
throughout the Episcopal Church in education, leadership development
and philanthropy.
     "At our November 1 board meeting we allocated $580,000 for
planned giving, an increase from $140,000 just three years ago, precisely
because of clear need for this nationwide ministry," said George A.
Fowlkes, president of the foundation's board of directors.
      The increased funding supports new staff, including the
appointment of Jeff Werley of Westfield, New Jersey, as the new
director of development programs in New York. Werley, who most
recently worked for Paine Webber in New York, offers skills in
investment management, communications, and parish stewardship
training.
     "We want to develop more fully the foundation's work of
supporting the larger church by continuing to deepen our portfolio of
planned giving resources," Werley said. "We hope to create an
environment throughout the church where giving is a joyful act of faith."
     Joining Werley in the expanded New York office is Julie Lucas,
former senior assistant dean of admissions for Hofstra University. As
development associate, she will serve as a resource assistant for dioceses
and congregations, and help track gifts and other planned giving
activities.
     Kirsten Fenik continues with the planned giving program as senior
development associate, and Nancy Berry from the Diocese of West Texas
has been named field manager.
     Also joining the New York office is Anne Ditzler, the
foundation's new program associate, who will oversee graduate
fellowship programs and coordinate three new initiatives for young
adults.

Cornerstone Project expands
     Two new staff members will join the Cornerstone Project office in
Memphis, Tennessee, and William S. Craddock will assume full-time
leadership of Cornerstone. He has directed both Cornerstone and the
Clergy Leadership Project since 1995, and will continue to work with the
Church Pension fund and other groups to support clergy and lay
leadership development efforts.
     Joining Craddock are Ann Dillard, former director of Leadership
Memphis and executive director of the Center City Commission in
Memphis, as Cornerstone program coordinator; and Debbie Burnette as
administration and communications assistant. The Rev. Jim Fallis will
expand his work as Cornerstone field coordinator.