From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presiding Bishop's Statement on Iraq

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 05 Dec 1997 12:42:46

November 18, 1997

     Recen
December 4, 1997
Episcopal News Service
Jim Solheim, Director
212-922-5385
ens@ecunet.org

97-2041
Presiding Bishop's Statement on Iraq
November 18, 1997

     Recent diplomatic overtures by the United States that would
increase the flow of humanitarian aid to the Iraqi people are welcome
indeed.  I have been deeply pained to see the suffering and death among
the innocent of Iraq since the implementation of sanctions seven years
ago. I have repeatedly called for the provision of humanitarian aid.  It
was an enormous relief to see an agreement last year which now allows
the sale of a limited amount of Iraqi oil for humanitarian purposes.  Any
willingness by the United States to increase such aid is to be encouraged.
But the current proposal probably does not go far enough.
     According to UNICEF statistics, over 100 Iraqi children die every
day as a direct result of the sanctions.  This is abhorrent.  Medicines and
supplies are still not being allowed into the country under a rule that says
nothing can get in that might also be used by the military.  I appeal to
both my own government and that of Saddam Hussein to reach an
agreement that puts the interests of the Iraqi people above politics and
limits sanctions to the Iraqi military establishment.
     I support efforts to remove chemical, biological and other
weapons from the control of Saddam Hussein and his suffocating regime.
But the welfare of an entire population of people should not be held
hostage to the iron will of the United States and Iraqi governments.
Further, I prevail upon the two governments to find a diplomatic
resolution to the present stand off.
     As Christians begin to move towards the season of the coming of
the Prince of Peace, I call upon Episcopalians to urge President Clinton
to address the humanitarian needs of innocent Iraqi people, especially the
children.  And I urge them to send a special gift to the Presiding
Bishop's Fund for World Relief to provide desperately needed supplies.
     As a people of faith and a country committed to human rights, we
cannot allow the suffering to continue.

Edmond L. Browning
Presiding Bishop and Primate

Donations to the Presiding Bishop's Fund made out to PBFWR and
earmarked for Iraqi Aid can be sent to Banker's Trust, PO Box 12043,
Newark, NJ 07101.