From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Belfast Service Affirms Presbyterian Gaelic Tradition

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 20 Dec 1997 16:45:09

9-December-1997
97450

    Belfast Service Affirms Presbyterian Gaelic Tradition

    by Cedric Pulford
    Ecumenical News International

LONDON--In what is believed to be the first time this century,
Presbyterians in Ireland have held a service in Gaelic, reviving their own
tradition as well as affirming the culture of the entire divided island.

    The service, which was held at Fitzroy Avenue Presbyterian Church in
Belfast on Oct. 26, brought together Presbyterians and Roman Catholics and
others who were attending a Gaelic-language festival in the city. Gaelic is
the indigenous language of Ireland, although in both the south and the
north of the island it has been largely replaced by English.

    In Northern Ireland, learning Gaelic is commonly linked to nationalism,
which wishes to see a united Ireland. Protestantism, on the other hand, is
often seen as being associated with unionism, which wants to maintain the
current status of Northern Ireland as part of the United Kingdom.

    So when the Presbyterians, who are mainly also unionists, held their
Gaelic service, the decision "certainly raised some eyebrows," as Derek
Poots, acting general secretary of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland,
admitted.

    He told ENI: "We were asked `What's it all about?' But we are
nonpolitical. We don't involve ourselves in sectarian attitudes. We respect
the Gaelic culture of the island just as we respect the Protestant/English
culture."

    Although the strength of the Presbyterian Church is mainly to be found
in Northern Ireland, the church also has three presbyteries in the Republic
of Ireland.

    Bill Boyd, a retired Presbyterian minister who was a preacher at
October's service, told ENI: "Irish [Gaelic] is part of our tradition,
too."

    Irish Protestants are mainly descended from English and Scottish
settlers -- and Gaelic was the indigenous language of much of Scotland as
well as of Ireland. Hence many settlers to Ireland also spoke Gaelic and it
was used in the Presbyterian Church up to the 19th century. Until around
1850 students for the Presbyterian ministry were required to learn Gaelic.

    Boyd, age 70, preached his whole sermon in Gaelic, despite being a
self-confessed "beginner" in the language.

    Boyd is interested in Gaelic as "a language of prayer and worship" and
finds that "it throws light on one's ordinary Bible reading in English." He
explained: "The word `Saviour' [Sl naithe¢ir], for instance, has a sense of
health and wholeness, which it doesn't quite have in English."

    Terence McCaughey, a lecturer at Trinity College, Dublin, who was the
other preacher at the service, told ENI: "Presbyterians in the north have
an induced amnesia about Irish history [because of the partition between
south and north]. People have been encouraged to forget an awful lot."

    He said few realized that many of their forebears had spoken Gaelic and
attended services in the language.

    If Boyd has his way, the Fitzroy Avenue service will form the basis for
a sustained revival of Gaelic in the Presbyterian Church. He is part of a
group of up to 20 people that since April has held regular meetings, which
include an act of worship, using Gaelic.

    Boyd does not claim that using and understanding Gaelic will be easy.
"I've found the language exciting but desperately difficult," he said.
"There are four dialects, so you have to learn four words for things. You
know only one will be needed -- but you don't know which one."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>