From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Churches Rebuild After Flood

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org (United Methodist News list)
Date 22 Dec 1997 14:51:48

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS 97" by SUSAN PEEK on April 15, 1997 at 14:24
Eastern, about DAILY NEWS RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (525
notes).

Note 520 by UMNS on Dec. 22, 1997 at 15:28 Eastern (4067 characters).

CONTACT: Linda Bloom					708(10-21-71B){520}
	    New York (212) 870-3803	     Dec. 22, 1997

NOTE: This is the second of a four-part series on relief efforts in the
flood-ravaged Upper Midwest. Photographs are available.

Grand Forks churches rebound after flood,
extend help to area residents

A UMNS News Feature
				by Linda Bloom*

	The Rev. Doug Diehl decided to let his hair grow last February.
	He'd always wanted to try a ponytail. So as a fund-raising incentive, the
pastor of Zion United Methodist Church in Grand Forks, N.D., pledged not to
cut the back of his hair until groundbreaking for a new addition occurred.
	But Zion's building plans -- along with the lives of the nearly 50,000
residents of Grand Forks -- were disrupted in April, when the Red River
crested at a record 54 feet. The city’s downtown and residential areas near
the river were flooded. A fire also broke out downtown, destroying or heavily
damaging several blocks. Eventually, the entire city was advised to evacuate.
	As of December, the pastor's ponytail was still in place, primarily as a
symbol of the goal that had been put on hold by the flood.
	When the waters rose in April, Diehl waited out the evacuation at Grand Forks
Air Force Base with some parishioners. When he was able to return to Zion
church on May 1, "there was a great sense of relief because we did not have
water in our sanctuary on the main level," he recalled.
	The bad news: six and a half feet of water had filled the basement area,
which housed most of the Sunday School classrooms, a secondary kitchen, the
furnaces and the electrical service.
     "Things were floating around in the stairways, and it was pretty dismal,"
Diehl said.
	Wesley United Methodist Church also suffered major damage on its lower levels
-- about $1 million worth, according to church member Robert Boyd. But with
the help of volunteer teams and its insurance coverage, Wesley has gradually
been able to rebuild, he said.
	The physical recovery at Zion -- which suffered no structural damage -- has
been assisted by volunteer work teams and nearly $250,000 in donations. It has
been estimated the church will need about $300,000 in work to meet new
building code requirements.
	"We've had so much support from other churches and individuals," Diehl said.
"There's a great sense of gratefulness.
     "If anything, we've learned the importance of the connectional system and
how much people care about us."
	Church members also had to deal with damage to their personal property.
     "About 70 percent of our families had water in their homes," he added.
Four families -- still living in trailer parks set up by the Federal Emergency
Management Association (FEMA) -- lost their homes.
	One of the four is the family of Violet and Ken Nygaard, who share their
trailer with a daughter and grandson. The Nygaards are expecting a government
buyout for their home of 29 years.
	The flooding pushed the house off its foundation, but the Nygaards were able
to store furniture in the garage.
     "We lived in our yard for the summer, in an RV," said Violet Nygaard, who
is 65.
	Zion has supported them. "They were asking us all the time if we needed
help," she added. "We really appreciated that."
     The family also received a check from donations that will help with the
purchase of a new house or mobile home.
	Recently, the church recruited more than 40 "caring coordinators," each of
whom calls five member families once a month to check on their needs, Diehl
said.
	The congregation also is setting aside 10 percent of what it has received to
help others.
	As a result, the church has had a chance to meet the tremendous need for
child care services in Grand Forks by starting a center in a doublewide
trailer on its property. Eventually, the center will be moved inside the
church building.
     "It was a huge leap of faith for us," the pastor said, "but it's turning
out really well."
# # #
     *Bloom is News Director of the New York Office of United Methodist News
Service.

 To make suggestions or give your comments, send a note to
 umns@ecunet.org or Susan_Peek@ecunet.org

 This article sent to both the umethnews list <umethnews-request@ecunet.org>
 and also to the Worldwide Faith News list wfn-news <majordomo@wfn.org>
 Look at the header files to figure out which this is.