From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Program Offers Two Degrees In Five Years

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org (United Methodist News list)
Date 09 Jan 1998 15:31:28

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS 97" by SUSAN PEEK on April 15, 1997 at 14:24
Eastern, about DAILY NEWS RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (539
notes).

Note 538 by UMNS on Jan. 9, 1998 at 17:17 Eastern (2484 characters).

CONTACT: Linda Green				11(10-31-71B){538}
	    Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470	Jan. 9, 1998

Clark Atlanta University offers program
for students to earn two degrees in five years

by United Methodist News Service

	United Methodist-related Clark Atlanta University has established an
innovative program allowing students to earn both a bachelor’s and master’s
degree in five years.
	The historically black college established the Accelerated Interdisciplinary
Degree Program (AIDP) two years ago to allow students to complete
undergraduate studies in religion and philosophy. Afterward, they can select a
graduate concentration in education, social work or public administration.
	The program aims to cultivate clergy and lay leadership in the United
Methodist Church for the 21st century, said Henry Whelchel, chairman of the
university’s department of religion and philosophy.
"We are losing some of the brightest minds because the sciences offer more
money," he said. "Our goal is to assure that our students are equipped to
compete in a global society."
The program's graduates will be presented with employment opportunities in the
more than 100 United Methodist Church organizations -– in positions as
executive directors, teachers, social workers, youth directors.
	The program seems to be the only one of its kind in the country, Whelchel
said.
It is the brainchild of the late Lula Garrett, an official in the churchwide
Board of Global Ministries. The board, along with the Lilly Endowment and
other sources, is providing funding.
	The concept of the degree program is in keeping with the Board of Global
Ministries' goals to alleviate human suffering by helping initiate and support
ministries to the spiritual, physical, emotional and social needs of people,
Whelchel said.
	Nine students are enrolled in the program, and others are being recruited
through the James S. Thomas/Grant S. Shockley Summer Youth Academy of
Theology, a residential program affiliated with the university’s department of
religion and philosophy.
	"Through the Thomas/Shockley academy, we will identify students 12-14 years
old who have potential for the program, and we will nurture them through high
school," Whelchel said. He added that the program will also recruit students
from United Methodist churches across the country.
	For more information about the program, call Rozell Green at the office of
university relations, (404) 880-8093.

 To make suggestions or give your comments, send a note to
 umns@ecunet.org or Susan_Peek@ecunet.org

 This article sent to both the umethnews list <umethnews-request@ecunet.org>
 and also to the Worldwide Faith News list wfn-news <majordomo@wfn.org>
 Look at the header files to figure out which this is.