From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

American Baptist News for December 29, 1997

From George Conklin <gconklin@igc.apc.org>
Date Sat, 10 Jan 1998 13:07:32 -0800 (PST)

American Baptist News Service________________
Office of Communication / American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Richard W. Schramm, Director (E-mail: RICH_SCHRAMM@ECUNET.ORG)

UPDATE: DECEMBER 29, 1997

ABW MINISTRIES ANNOUNCES TRANSFER OF ORDERS TO JUDSON CUSTOMER
SERVICE
     As of Jan. 1, 1998, all orders of American Baptist Women's
Ministries and AB GIRLS resources will be handled through Judson
Customer Service.
     According to ABW Ministries Executive Director Carol Sutton:
"By moving our literature and other resource orders to Judson, the
whole process will be simplified for our constituents.  Our inventory
and number of orders has grown substantially in recent years.   In
fact the Mission Center Traffic Department reports that ABW
Ministries is sending out more orders than any other organization in
the Mission Center.  This is exciting news, but it means we can't
handle the load on our own.  Judson's larger staff and computerized
system should serve our constituents better."
     She noted that benefits from the new system would include: ABW
Ministries' and Judson Press materials can be ordered with one call;
Judson's computer system will help get orders packed and shipped in
record time; constituents will be able to use their VISA or
MasterCard with orders of $10 or more; and orders now can be charged
to Judson church accounts.
     "The only downside to all of this," Sutton said, "is that we in
ABW Ministries won't be talking to our constituents every time they
call in an order.  We hope they'll stay in touch with the ABW
Ministries national office at 1-800-ABC-3USA, ext. 2288. We like to
know what's happening in local church circles and other places where
women and girls worship and serve our Lord.  And we like to get
suggestions for future resources."
     As of Jan. 1 customers can order ABW Ministries and AB GIRLS
resources by: calling 1-800-4-JUDSON; sending the order form found in
each issue of On the Way...with American Baptist Women magazine or in
ABW Ministries' Program Packets to Judson Customer Service, P.O. Box
851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851/FAX (610)768-2107; or using the
on-line order form on the ABW Ministries page at the American Baptist
Churches Web Site--www.abc-usa.org.
     American Baptist Women's Ministries "provides opportunities for
each woman and girl to develop as God's person, build God's faith
community, and serve God's world by providing programming resources
for local church use throughout the United States and Puerto Rico."

CLEO ESPY DIES
     Word has been received of the death Dec. 9 of Cleo Espy, widow
of the late American Baptist ecumenical leader R. H. Edwin Espy.
     Mrs. Espy, who was 96, lived in Heritage Towers in Doylestown,
Pa.  Her husband died in 1993.
     During a long career in ecumenical leadership, he served in a
number of positions with the National Council of Churches, including
general secretary from 1963-1973.  Following that he was a member of
the American Baptist Churches General Board for eight years.  His
work is featured in an article in the December 1997 issue of the
American Baptist Quarterly

NAGALAND CELEBRATES 125 YEARS OF CHRISTIANITY WITH CALL TO PEACE
     The quasquicentennial celebration of 125 years of Christianity
in the insurgency-afflicted Nagaland State in northeast India, Nov.
27-30, was marked by a call to peace and reconciliation led by the
Nagaland Baptist Church Council and delegations from American Baptist
Churches' International Ministries and the Baptist World Alliance.
     "The whole world knows that head-hunting ended when
Christianity came to the Nagas.  Now let the world know that the
Nagas live in peace," said Dr. John Sundquist, executive director of
American Baptist International Ministries, during the Sunday morning
celebration attended by 120,000 Nagas and an estimated overflow crowd
of 30,000.  "The culture of retribution must end.  I plead with you
to stop the killings," he added.
     The Nagas have been fighting for independence from India for 50
years but have splintered into six underground factions who are in
conflict over leadership of the movement and potential control of the
Nagaland government.  Nagaland borders Myanmar.
     "Never has there been such a feeling of hope," said Dr. W.
Pongsing, general secretary of the Nagaland Baptist Church Council.
"Our people believe that God is moving in the hearts of the insurgent
leaders and perhaps we will see peace come by the end of this year."
He noted that approximately 1,000 underground members were present at
the quasquicentennial celebration and that when Sundquist asked for
leaders who were "willing to forgive and forget in the name of
Christ," nine leaders stood and were recognized.
     The entire crowd enthusiastically rose when Sundquist
challenged those in attendance to stand if they would no longer
tolerate the violence inflicted upon innocent people.  He then asked
the attendees to join in a mass prayer, all praying in their own
language.  Many were moved to tears as they fervently asked God to
bring peace to their land.
     Responding to the plea by thousands of Quasqui attendees for
American Baptist church leaders to speak out against the national
conflicts in Nagaland, International Ministries' area director for
East Asia and India, the Rev. Benjamin Chan, appealed to the
insurgents to "stop killing your innocent brothers and sisters.  Only
by doing so can we save the next generation."  Chan spoke against
corruption in Nagaland and appealed to the government officers to
"return the money which you have hoarded for Nagaland.  We need all
the resources in your hands to uplift the land.  If these resources
are not returned, then let the people's voices be heard."
     The four-day celebration also included performances by the
Alderson Broaddus College 15-voice singing group, The West
Virginians.  The students, averaging age 20, were visibly moved by
the Christian commitment of the Naga people.  "The Naga people live
with so little yet they have been incredibly generous with us," said
sophomore Justin Morgan.  "They take their commitment to Christ
seriously."
     Also attending the quasquicentennial was a delegation of
American Baptists, including five former missionaries in India;
several International Ministries board members, including board
President Dan Ramirez and his successor, Judith Dean; two World
Mission Support field counselors; and many local church mission
chairpersons.  "Our group was tremendously impressed by the Naga
people--their beautiful music, their organization and planning, the
reverent orderliness of the huge crowd and their care for each one of
us," said Charlotte Gillespie, former missionary to India and tour
group leader.

97U1229.E

"Update" currently is available in print form (mailed first class at
$40/year subscription cost); as document #111 on  "ABC/USA News Now"
(formerly Fax Vault), a toll-free fax-on-demand service at 1-800-ABC-3USA, ext.
2215; as
"American Baptist News Service" on ABNET, the
American Baptist Churches' computer network (a branch of ECUNET); and
on the Internet Web sites for American Baptist Churches USA
(http://www.abc-usa.org) and for World-Wide Faith News
(http://www.wfn.org/wfn).

 -0-