From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop Visits Palestinian Lutherans

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 16 Jan 1998 10:21:34

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

January 16, 1998

ANDERSON TELLS PALESTINIAN LUTHERANS:
LOOK TO THE NEW MILLENNIUM
98-02-007-AH

     JERUSALEM (ELCA) --The Rev. H. George Anderson, Presiding Bishop of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), together with Lutheran
and ecumenical leaders, took part in the consecration Jan. 5 of the Rev.
Munib A. Younan as Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Jordan and
Palestine (ELCJ).
     The service was at Redeemer Lutheran Church in Jerusalem's Old City
with about 800 worshipers in the congregation.
     "It is really for the ELCJ to work out what it believes God is
calling it to do in the first years of the new millennium," Anderson said.
     Anderson spoke to a consultation, "Lutheran Witness towards the 21st
Century in the Middle East," hosted by the ELCJ Jan. 3 at Beit Jala (near
Bethlehem).  Younan made a presentation: "Let Our Church Be the Church."
     Younan called for a renewal of evangelism in the ELCJ.  He also
called for full participation by lay people in the life of the church and
worship, the ordination of women in the ELCJ and more involvement of youth
and children.
     Younan proposed the creation of a Council for Lutheran Communion in
Jerusalem, an outreach to Messianic Jewish Congregations in the area, and
closer ties to the Lutheran World Federation (LWF) for mutual support and
work.
     Anderson affirmed Younan's "sweeping vision."  He said, "It is
essential for leaders in the church to point the way.  Only then can the
energies of lay people be focused for mission."
     Anderson pointed to ways the ELCA might be able to be helpful, such
as providing volunteer educators.  "We can help with education, employment
and housing issues that face emigrants from the West Bank," he said.
     Anderson spoke to the need to stem the flow of Christian emigrants
from cities like Bethlehem and Ramallah.  "The United States government has
not been at the forefront in addressing the concerns of Palestinians here,"
he said.
     "We are ready to work with you to suggest areas in which our
government might help," Anderson said.
     At Yad Vashem, Israel's Holocaust memorial, Anderson presented board
member Johanen Bin with a copy of the ELCA's 1994 "Declaration to the
Jewish Community," rejecting Martin Luther's writing against the Jews.
     "The document is not long, but acknowledges the role of Christian
anti-Semitism, expresses sorrow and repudiates Luther's writings condemning
the Jews," Anderson said.
     "Luther said we could trust that God is strong enough that we can lay
our shame on God.  We want to pledge our own continual good will.  We want
to further the cause of peace, security and justice for everyone,
Christians and Jews alike," Anderson said.
     Calling anti-Semitism, "a contradiction to the Gospels," Bin said,
"It is very important that  you are here, very symbolic that you wish to
present this document.  We cannot and should not escape the past.  The
Holocaust is part of every one of us, even those who were not there."  Bin
added, "You are a messenger.  Tell them not to forget."
     Anderson participated in laying the cornerstone of Dar al-Kalima
(House of the Word) Academy at Bethlehem.  The institution is a new ELCJ
project supported by the ELCA.  Palestine Authority President Yassir Arafat
also took part in the ceremony.
     The 1997 ELCA Youth Gathering provided $45,000 to help build the
academy.
     Dar al-Kalima will "promote intercultural dialogue, contextual
theology, music and art."  It will include a school for Christian and
Muslim children, specializing in art and music and stressing theological
connections.  There will be a museum of Palestinian heritage and a library,
as well as an interfaith conference center.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html