From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Camps Develop Leaders for the Future

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 16 Jan 1998 10:22:22

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

January 16, 1998

LUTHERAN CAMPS DEVELOP LEADERS FOR THE FUTURE
98--02-006-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The outdoor ministry team of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is exploring "ways to design camp systems
that offer a caring and compassionate response to people," said Mark D.
Burkhardt, ELCA director for outdoor ministries, in an interview.
"Lutheran camps will work to develop a more positive working climate in
camp organizations," he said.
     There are 145 ELCA-related outdoor ministries in the United States
and Caribbean.  Presiding Bishop H. George Anderson, in an outdoor
ministries gathering last fall, said outdoor ministries are significant to
the church and uniquely qualified to address the church's "Initiatives for
a New Century."  The "Initiatives" adopted by the ELCA's 1997 Churchwide
Assembly are catalysts for Lutherans to teach the faith, connect with youth
and young adults, and develop leaders for the next century.
     "Over the past 80 years outdoor ministries have played an important
role in the lives of children and young adults," said Burkhardt.  "Today
outdoor ministry is not just a ministry for children and youth but a
ministry that touches people of every age.  Our fastest-growing area is at
the two ends of the age spectrum.  At one end are children involved in our
day camp programs, and the other end includes people who have reached
retirement age and are still vitality active, healthy and looking to learn
and experience new things," he said.
     "Camp professionals and staff looked at the Initiatives and saw
different areas where outdoor ministries play an active role.  Our ministry
is specifically mentioned for 'connecting with youth and young adults,'"
said Burkhardt.
     Karen J. Roles, camping network coordinator for Minnesota and the
Dakotas, said, "Outdoor ministry is more than just kids going to camp.
About 40 to 60 percent of seminary students say that outdoor ministries
served a significant part in their decision to attend seminary," she said.
     "Our camps employ about 3,000 young adults every summer, many of whom
are in colleges and universities.  We're providing significant leadership
training opportunities for them, not only as we train them to work on the
camp staff but as they encounter people throughout the program.  Their
leadership abilities grow and strengthen, with many returning year after
year.  Most work for outdoor ministries three to five years before they
move into full-time employment elsewhere," he said.
     In the area of "teaching the faith," Burkhardt believes that "outdoor
ministry is at its best in the Christian education sector of the church."
Camps are places where children can "connect in a real way with some of the
traditional Bible stories, and learn how faith plays out in their daily
lives.  They are places where young people and children feel free to talk
about issues, concerns or struggles.  Camps become a place where young
adults and children begin to wrestle with what their Christian faith means
and how it plays out in schools and in relationships with their peers or
family members."
     "We have camp programs that include ministry to older adults and
international camp counselor programs that involve up to 45 young adults
from 21 partner churches overseas annually," Burkhardt said.
     About 160 outdoor ministry professionals gathered in Door County,
Wis., last fall for "A Ministry of Reconciliation," an outdoor ministry
conference sponsored by the ELCA's Division for Congregational Ministries.
Participants learned to promote "fulfillment and wellness among outdoor
ministry staff" and "that we as a church value a diverse creation," said
Burkhardt.  Workshop topics ranged from creating a caring corporate culture
to "barriers and bridges" between races and cultures, physical health and
fitness to ministry with people with disabilities.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html