From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Matches $500,000 for Burned Churches

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 20 Jan 1998 14:46:40

NCCCUSA Matches $500,000 Leona Helmsley Grant for Burned Churches
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Internet: wendym@ncccusa.org

Contact: Wendy S. McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227

NCC1/16/97   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCCCUSA MATCHES LEONA HELMSLEY'S PROMISED
$500,000 GRANT FOR BURNED CHURCHES

 NEW YORK, Jan. 16 ---- The National Council of Churches
has raised the $500,000 needed to receive the promised
$500,000 matching gift from Leona Helmsley, prominent New
York real estate owner and philanthropist.

 The Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell, NCC General
Secretary, and Luther Gatling, president of One Hundred
Black Men, who represented Leona Helmsley, deposited a check
for $1 million at the Carver Federal Savings Bank in Harlem
on Jan. 15 - Martin Luther King Jr.'s actual birthday.

On May 28, 1997, Mrs. Leona M. Helmsley presented a
check for $1 million to the NCC for its Burned Churches Fund
and promised an additional matching grant of $500,000.  Her
contribution, now totaling $1.5 million, is the largest the
Fund has received from any individual donor since it was
established in May 1996.

At Carver Federal on the 15th, NCC leaders and Mr.
Gatling met with the bank's president and board members.
After offering a meditation on Dr. King, Dr. Campbell
reported on the progress and continued needs in the NCC-
initiated Church Rebuilding Project.  "The church burnings
are symptomatic of the sickness in our country," she said,
"exemplifying both the racial prejudice and the lack of
economic opportunity.  A society should worry greatly if its
churches are being burned."  And unfortunately, she
stressed, "our churches continue to be burned."

 Between June 1996 and December 1997, 233 burned
churches in 18 states have come to the attention of the NCC.
Most are African American and a majority, but not all, are
in the Southeast.  Of these, the NCC has helped over 100
congregations in some way, either with grants, in-kind
(material) donations, volunteers or technical assistance.

Yet 130 churches remain on the NCC's list, Dr. Campbell
reported, and the NCC estimates it would need $19 million to
completely rebuild those churches.  "We have to keep telling
the story because many more churches need help," she said.
"More burned churches keep coming to our attention,
including five burned in Maryland in recent months."

"Churches are still meeting in temporary worship
spaces," Dr. Campbell said.  "I heard a story of one pastor
who is counseling people in her car because she has no place
else to do it."

"This $1 million will help us deal with our new list of
churches," Dr. Campbell said.  Dr. Campbell thanked Mrs.
Helmsley for her $500,000 portion, of which 25 percent will
go toward the racial justice and reconciliation part of the
program to take aim "at the root of the problem."

The NCC's $500,000 came both from individuals across
the country, whose initial contributions to the appeal total
$25,100.25, and from 10 of the NCC's member communions,
including major amounts from The Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.), The Episcopal Church and American Baptist Churches
in the U.S.A.  Other supporting member communions were:
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ); Progressive National
Baptist Convention; Evangelical Lutheran Church in America;
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America; Moravian Church in
America; United Church of Christ, and The United Methodist
Church.

Church Burnings Reveal Lack of Opportunities

 Board members asked Dr. Campbell about law enforcement
issues.  "There are people in jail for some of the
burnings," she reported, "although the sad story is that
often, these crimes are committed by young people who are
intentionally used by hate groups.  Most are very poor.  The
church burnings exemplify the lack of opportunity for the
poor, both blacks and whites."

"Putting this money at Carver goes beyond building
burned churches to rebuilding communities," said Thomas
Clark Jr., President and CEO of Carver Federal Savings Bank.
"We have prided ourselves in being the urban community
development bank, and have 49 years of continuous operation
in this community."

"This institution was started by church people who were
visionaries," Mr. Clark said.  "We continue to think of
ourselves as an institution of believers. . . .  We believe
in the `O' word - opportunities.  Burning churches is really
a sickness that goes at the heart of our beliefs."

NCC Continues to Rebuild Churches and Communities

The NCC-initiated Burned Churches Fund is supported by
a broad ecumenical and interfaith community that includes
Christian, Jewish and Muslim bodies.

With the $1 million deposited Jan. 15, cash
contributions to the Fund now total about $8.45 million.  In
addition, $2.65 million has been received in in-kind
donations (wood products, modular units and other
materials).

Of those churches the NCC has helped to rebuild, 44
have been completed and 54 are currently under construction.
The Church Rebuilding Project Team has also coordinated the
participation of over 8,000 volunteers who contributed labor
valued at $960,000 to date, and volunteers continue to be
placed.

The NCC has forged several partnerships to carry out
the "Racial Justice and Reconciliation" program, working
with: the Kentucky Council of Churches on a program to
monitor hate groups in Kentucky; a Kansas City training in
"Reframing the Dialogue on Racism" for pastors of
predominantly white congregations; and a national effort by
the Center for Constitutional Rights to monitor cases of
police brutality in communities of color.  There is also a
Racial Justice and Reconciliation Website designed to
encourage dialogue: racism.tbwt.com.

-end-
 -0-