From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Respond to Ice Storms in the Northeast

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 22 Jan 1998 10:15:35

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

JANUARY 22, 1998

LUTHERANS RESPOND TO ICE STORMS IN THE NORTHEAST
98-03-008-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Lutheran Disaster Response has arranged for 40
generators to be shipped from Fargo, N.D., to aid people in upstate New
York in the wake of winter and ice storms that have caused damage in the
Watertown, Redwood and Mooers communities.  Lutheran Disaster Response is a
cooperative effort between the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and
the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
     "The generators were used for the Red River Valley floods last year
and may be used later this spring in Devil's Lake, N.D.," said the Rev.
Gilbert B. Furst, associate director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response.
"The response of the church to the needs of one area of our country will
multiply blessings in response to another," said Furst.
     As communications improve, the immediate needs caused by the ice
storms are becoming more and more apparent.  Rural homeowners and dairy
farmers in Watertown, Redwood and Mooers are in a present crisis because
there is no electricity for heating homes and sustaining dairy farming,
said Furst.
     Farmers are losing milk because they cannot refrigerate or process
it.  Cattle continue to produce milk, which eventually gets dumped, said
the Rev. Lee M. Miller, bishop of the ELCA's Upstate New York Synod.
"Making the next rent payment will be an issue for some as we go into the
future," Miller said.
     "It will be three or four weeks before electricity will be fully
restored in the rural areas of upstate New York," said the Rev. Stephen C.
Biegner, St. Andrew Lutheran Church, South Glens Falls, N.Y.
     "While we will not respond on the same scale as the upper Midwest
blizzards and floods of 1997, we are helping to close the gaps between the
needs of the areas affected and their ability to respond using their own
resources," said Furst.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html