From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Re: United Methodist Daily News note 561

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org (United Methodist News list)
Date 26 Jan 1998 15:33:44

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS 97" by SUSAN PEEK on April 15, 1997 at 14:24
Eastern, about DAILY NEWS RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (567
notes).

Note 566 modified by UMNS on Jan. 26, 1998 at 16:03 Eastern (4271 characters).

CONTACT: Linda Bloom				39(10-21-71B){566}
(212) 870-3803 					Jan. 26, 1998

Pastor who conducted same-sex union
faces church trial

by United Methodist News Service

	The Rev. Jimmy Creech of Omaha, Neb., who conducted a same-sex union ceremony
last September, should face a church trial, an investigative committee has
decided.
	The Committee on Investigation of the Nebraska United Methodist Annual
(regional) Conference made that decision after a Jan. 23 hearing.
	"The preparation for a trial will begin as soon as the official documents
from the investigative committee are forwarded to my office," said Bishop Joel
N. Martinez, in a prepared statement on Jan. 26. "It is my intention to
expedite such preparation to bring this matter to a decision as early as
possible."
The trial should be completed by the annual (regional) conference meeting,
June 2-5, said the Rev. Richard D. Turner, executive director of ministries
and assistant to Martinez.
	Martinez was traveling on Jan. 26 and couldn't be reached for further
comment.
On Jan. 9, Martinez indefinitely extended Creech's suspension from his duties
at First United Methodist Church in Omaha, also at the recommendation of the
committee. The pastor initially had been suspended for 60 days, effective Nov.
10.
	Creech told United Methodist News Service that he learned about the decision
on Jan. 24 from the Rev. David Lux of North Platte, the committee's
chairperson.
	"I feel quite prepared (for a trial)," Creech added. "It did not come as a
surprise."
	The pastor was critical, however, of the committee's findings that he
committed a "chargeable offense" and believes its members wanted to pass the
responsibility of a final decision to a jury.
	"I just didn't think the committee did its work," he said.
	In 1996, the United Methodist Church's top legislative body voted that
"ceremonies that celebrate homosexual unions shall not be conducted by our
ministers and shall not be conducted in our churches." That decision was
placed in the Social Principles, a part of the Book of Discipline.
	But Creech claimed the committee had "no real evidence" a violation occurred,
and added: "There's been no precedent for anyone being prosecuted under the
Social Principles."
	At the Jan. 23 hearing, committee members took statements from Creech, his
counsel, counsel for the conference and the clergy person who filed the
complaint against him. Creech said that clergy person's identity is being kept
confidential, but added that it is not someone from his congregation.
	Creech guesses that the trial will not occur for at least another two months.
Meanwhile, he will prepare with his counsel and assistant counsel.
	"In a trial, we will be able to call witnesses and get testimony," he
explained, adding that cross-examination also will be possible. He intends to
exercise his option to have an open trial, he said, "to keep the public well
informed."
	Carol Beaty, an elementary school principal and active layperson at First
Church, expressed disappointment that the situation with Creech is not
resolved.
	"It's very difficult for our church to go forward without a senior pastor,"
she said.
	Beaty noted that a large group of church members had begun work on a
"visioning" process that embraced a welcoming ministry for all -– including
those with different sexual orientations -- well before Creech arrived as
pastor.
	"I know it's been said Jimmy Creech brought an agenda to our church," she
said. "I know that is not true."
	Instead, Creech supported the church's vision, she added.
	While the controversy surrounding the same-sex covenant ceremony has caused
division within the church, "we are working toward continuing to dialogue with
all members of our congregation," Beaty reported.
	A task force is designing a study of the Book of Discipline, an effort that
has been "enthusiastically endorsed," she said. "We're hoping this will
initiate a
lot of conversation about what is important about being a United Methodist and
what the Social Principles are about."
	Meanwhile, additional donations to the church have made up for contributions
lost because of the controversy, according to Beaty. The church has been able
to pay its 1997 apportionments and carry money over into 1998.

 To make suggestions or give your comments, send a note to
 umns@ecunet.org or Susan_Peek@ecunet.org

 This article sent to both the umethnews list <umethnews-request@ecunet.org>
 and also to the Worldwide Faith News list wfn-news <majordomo@wfn.org>
 Look at the header files to figure out which this is.