From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples register increase in '97 outreach giving

From DISCNEWS.parti@ecunet.org (DISCNEWS)
Date 22 Jan 1998 12:57:14

Date: January 22, 1998
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the web: http//www.disciples.org

97b-2

    INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- Outreach giving by the
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in 1997
exceeded the 1996 figure by more than half a
percent. The 1997 total, $133,310 is .67% increase
over 1996.

    And that's just part of the good news,
according to the Rev. Robert K. Welsh, Church
Finance Council president. For the first time in
six years, giving to the church's family budget --
Basic Mission Finance -- increased every month in
comparison to the previous year. Welsh calls the
increases significant compared to figures showing
a 30-month decrease in BMF from June 1992 through
May 1995.

    The total amount contributed to BMF in 1997 -- $20,064,899 -- is the highest amount given by
Disciples in four years. Church members then gave
$20,366,928.

    Several regions showed major increases in
outreach giving from congregations, including the
Christian Church in Florida (9.3%), Montana
(6.9%), Greater Kansas City (5.6%), Kentucky
(4.3%), Oklahoma (4.3%), Pacific Southwest (4%),
Kansas (3.9%), Ohio (3.8%), and the Southwest
(3.5%).

    Welsh expressed his excitement over the
positive report on giving from congregations to
the church's basic outreach fund.  "I believe
giving the Basic Mission Finance is an important
gauge of the overall health and vitality of our
church," he said.

    "As important as the dollars received, the
major significance of this year-long  upturn' in
giving is the clear sense of renewed
congregational vitality, and the growing
confidence and excitement in our church and its
mission to the world."

                   -- end --

DISCNEWS - inbox for Disciples News Service, Office of Communication, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), PO Box 1986 Indianapolis, IN 46206, tele. (317) 635-3100, (DISCNEWS@ecunet.org) Wilma Shuffitt, News and Information Assistant; (CWILLIS@oc.disciples.org) Cliff Willis, Director of News and Information; (CMILLER@oc.disciples.org) Executive Director