From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Spare Texas woman's life, church leaders urge

From "Barb Powell"<powellb@ucc.org>
Date 26 Jan 1998 05:44:50

Jan. 26, 1998

Office of Communication
United Church of Christ
Hans Holznagel, (216) 736-2214
holznagh@ucc.org
On the Web:  www.ucc.org

Office of Communication
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Clifford L. Willis, (317) 635-3113, ext. 207
cwillis@oc.disciples.org
On the Web:  www.disciples.org

National Council of Churches
Carol Fouke, (212) 870-2252
carolf@ncccusa.org
On the Web:  www.ncccusa.org

Spare Texas woman's life, church leaders urge

     With the execution of a Texas woman approaching, the
leaders of three North American church bodies today urged "that
the life of Karla Faye Tucker be spared, and that the nation rethink
its current commitment to the death penalty."
     The Rev. Paul H. Sherry of Cleveland, president of the 1.5-
million-member United Church of Christ, the Rev. Richard L.
Hamm of Indianapolis, general minister and president of the
900,000-member Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), and the
Rev. Joan Brown Campbell of New York City, general secretary of
the National Council of Churches, made the plea in a public
statement that was also faxed to Gov. George W. Bush of Texas.
Tucker, now 38, was convicted and sentenced to death in 1984 for
her part in the 1983 kil-lings of two people in Houston.  She has
admitted her guilt.  Her execution is set for Feb. 3.
     The church leaders note in their statement that Tucker's life
has by all accounts been "transformed" in prison and that her
prosecutor, the victims' family members and others now oppose
her execution.  "This case forces our society to a decision," Sherry,
Hamm and Campbell write.  "Do we believe only in punishment,
an eye for an eye?  Do we reward transformation with death?  Do
we want a criminal justice system that does not want repentance
and rehabilitation, and will not accept it when it happens?"
     The United Church of Christ, with national offices in
Cleveland, has more than 6,000 local churches in the United States
and Puerto Rico.  The Indianapolis-based Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ) has some 3,900 congregations in the United
States and Canada.  The two churches are among the 33 member
communions of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in
the U.S.A., which includes Protestant, Orthodox and Anglican
bodies.
     The UCC's General Synod, the Disciples' General
Assembly and the NCC's General Assembly have long been on
record against the death penalty.  In the UCC and Disciples
systems, the Synod and Assembly are churchwide decision-making
bodies that meet biennially.  Synod and Assembly resolutions are
not binding upon other settings of the church.  Members,
congregations and regional bodies are free to hold differing
opinions.
               #     #     #

[EDITORS: Here is the full text of a Jan. 26 statement by the Rev.
Paul H. Sherry, president of the United Church of Christ, the Rev.
Richard L. Hamm, general minister and president of the Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ), and the Rev. Joan Brown Campbell,
general secretary of the National Council of Churches.]
     "Karla Faye Tucker is scheduled for execution by the State
of Texas February 3rd.  Execution would be morally and spiritually
wrong.

     "There is no doubt that Karla, at the age of 23, brutally
murdered a man while living a life of prostitution and serious drug
abuse.  There is also no doubt that Karla is now transformed,
following a religious conversion and current work in prison
ministry.  As Karla keeps repeating, she is not the same woman.
Many agree, including the detective who arrested her, the
prosecutor who convicted her, one of her jurors who voted for the
death penalty, and family members of the victims.  All of these
now oppose her execution.

     "There is strong opposition to the death penalty by the
General Synod of the United Church of Christ, the General
Assembly of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), and the
General Assembly of the National Council of the Churches of
Christ in the U.S.A.  This case makes crystal clear one vital reason
for this opposition by many religious groups.  We believe that
repentance is both possible and necessary.  We believe that
transformation of people into the Christian life is both possible and
highly valued.  We celebrate when people move from being
destructive members of the community to becoming constructive,
loving members of the community.  Even in the terrible
environment of prison, Karla has managed to do this, and shows
every sign of continuing her ministry, which is greatly needed.

     "This case forces our society to a decision.  Do we believe
only in punishment, an eye for an eye?  Do we reward
transformation with death?  Do we want a criminal justice system
that does not want repentance and rehabilitation, and will not
accept it when it happens?

     "We urge that the life of Karla Faye Tucker be spared, and