From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA on "State of the Union" - Comment

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 27 Jan 1998 13:52:55

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252 or 2312
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

NCC1/27/98             EMBARGO: 10 P.M.  EST 1/27

NCC GENERAL SECRETARY RESPONDS
TO "STATE OF THE UNION"
Calls for "Season of Prayer" for Nation;
Urges Special Prayers in Wake of Allegations

COLUMBUS, Ohio, Jan. 27 ---- Directing her comments to the
President's "State of the Union" message, National Council of Churches
(NCC) General Secretary the Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell called for
new voices of faith to speak for those Americans who continue to be
denied the basic requirements of life in a time of unprecedented
prosperity.

Addressing the Ohio Ministers' Convention this afternoon in
Columbus, Ohio, Dr. Campbell identified with the views on human need
voiced by Pope John Paul II during his historic visit to Cuba.  She cited
his call for a new openness free of fear, an era of personal respect and
dignity and a commitment to ridding life of the burdens of oppression
and poverty.  She emphasized the importance of such a religious
commitment in the U.S. as well as in Cuban life.

Dr. Campbell spoke after consultation with several public policy
leaders from the varied religious community of 34 Protestant and
Orthodox national Christian communions (denominations) that
constitute the National Council of Churches.  Dr. Campbell pointed to the
importance of "a strength for caring" as our nation's current
opportunity.

Dr. Campbell called for a season of prayer for our nation as it
seeks a strong future.  She also urged special prayers for all whose lives
have been affected by the allegations of misconduct now being made. She
named especially the President, the First Lady, their daughter Chelsea
and those who bear the urgent tasks of legal process and truthful
discernment.

Following is the full text of Dr. Campbell's comments addressing
religious concerns in public life:

Statement by the Rev. Dr. Joan B. Campbell
General Secretary, National Council of Churches
On "State of the Union" Jan. 27, 1998

In this time of unprecedented economic growth and prosperity, the
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. gives thanks for
the improvement in many people's lives that comes from the nation's
prosperity. At the same time, we are aware that the gifts are not evenly
distributed and that much of the Creation is increasingly vulnerable.

It is our belief that men and women of faith cannot cease their advocacy
for justice as long as there are people who lack the basic necessities of
life,

who live with fear, hunger, illness, homelessness, or deprivation. The
prosperity which most of the nation -- and much of the world - is
enjoying provides an opportunity to redress many of the imbalances in
both the U.S. and the global society.  For that reason, we wish to comment
on several proposals addressed in the State of the Union message and in
recent Administration initiatives.

RACISM.  For the past several years we have witnessed the burning and
destruction of hundreds of houses of worship, both in our member
communions and in other religious traditions.  We have been profoundly
grateful for the support the Administration has given to the rebuilding
and protection of these facilities.  We commend President Clinton for
giving vigorous leadership in the area of overcoming the racial barriers
that still exist in our society.

While we may never know what caused all of the church fires, we know
that lack of respect for people of other races and cultures was a factor in
many.  As the United States becomes more ethnically diverse, we believe
that dialogue across racial lines is crucial.  Religious congregations are
in a unique position to create new models of interracial partnership in
local communities where a diversity of races is already present.

CHILD CARE:  As the 1996 welfare legislation is implemented, it is
increasingly clear that there is a shortage of safe, quality, affordable
child care.  Mothers who previously supported their families through public
assistance while caring for children at home are now required to leave
their children and enter the work force.  We believe that the government
has a responsibility to provide these families with the assistance they
need in order to become self-supporting, including subsidized child care.
As a major provider of center-based care, the religious community
understands the needs children of working parents have and stands ready
to be a partner with government In providing quality care for such
children.

We commend President Clinton for the major initiative he has proposed
to increase the supply and quality of child care and to expand the
availability of after-school care through the public schools for older
children.  Childhood is a short and precious time, and making additional
services available for the nurturing, education and care of our children
will better enable them to approach the future with hope.

IMMIGRANTS:  The congregations in the religious community are
major providers of food to those who are in need, through operation of
mass meal programs, food banks, home food delivery, and the operation
of shelters for the hungry and homeless.  As the provisions of the welfare
legislation are implemented, denying food stamps to legal immigrants, the
congregations and social service agencies of our member communions are
reporting greatly increased demand which many of them cannot meet.
We urge the President to work with Congress to reinstate food stamp
benefits for legal immigrants.

GLOBAL WARMING:  The recent conference in Kyoto, Japan, held
great promise for improving and protecting the global environment.  We
commend President Clinton for his leadership on the issue of climate
change and urge him to sign the Kyoto protocol to the Climate
Convention.  We will work for its ratification by the U.S. Senate, in the
interest of protecting the health and quality of life of all people
everywhere.

UNITED NATIONS FUNDING:  The United Nations is a valuable
instrument both for preserving global peace and for providing
development assistance to the world's neediest people and nations.  As a
constant partner with the UN and the U.S. government in providing and
distributing disaster and development aid abroad, the religious
community is well acquainted with the importance of the UN.  We thank
the President for his commitment in this area and urge the Congress to
provide the funds necessary to allow the United States to fulfill its
pledge to the United Nations.

CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM:  We believe that all people should
have equal access to the electoral process; however, the power of money
in our current system excludes participation by those who cannot make
large contributions and diminishes their importance in the electoral
process.  We urge Congress to vote this year on Campaign Finance
Reform legislation and to reduce the power of private money in the
exercise of the franchise.

The primary concern of the religious community is the protection of
vulnerable people and the world in which they live.  In this time of
national prosperity, we desperately need strong leadership from the
Administration and Congress to assure that the bounty is shared equally
with those who cannot ride this rising tide without help.

-end-

NOTE: Dr. Campbell is available for comment and interviews Tuesday
and Wednesday at 614/292-3238, Fawcett Center Hotel or 614/292-1342
at the Fawcett Center Business Office at the Convention Center in
Columbus, Ohio.  On. Thursday, January 28, and following, she may be
reached through her New York Office:

The National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Office of the General Secretary, 475 Riverside Drive - Room 880
New York, NY 10115
Telephone: 212/870-2141 or Communications: 212/870-2252
Fax: 212/870-2817
 -0-