From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

South African arms sale to Algeria criticised

From Theo Coggin +2711-648-5461 or +2711-648-1093
Date 28 Jan 1998 01:51:33

Johannesburg, South Africa, 28 January 1998

Issued by Quo Vadis Communications on behalf of the Anglican Archbishop
of Cape Town

The announcement by a South African armaments manufacturing company of a
huge sale of military aircraft to Algeria has been criticised by the
Anglican (Episcopal) Archbishop of Cape Town, South Africa, the Most
Revd Njongonkulu Ndungane.

The deal, worth about R100-million (US$20-million), was announced
yesterday (27 January) by South African arms manufacturer, Denel.
Approval of the South African government has already been received.

Archbishop Ndungane said that Algeria has a poor human rights record,
and hundreds of its people were recently killed during a religious
festival.

“Africa is already awash with arms and military equipment. Unscrupulous
dealing in such hardware aggravates the problem. It provides no
solutions to the challenges facing the continent.

“Denel’s arguments that jobs will be saved and that the aircraft will
not be used for military purposes are spurious. Why else would a
country, such as Algeria wish to purchase a remote-piloted
reconnaissance aircraft?

“The use of the technology that drives the country’s ability to
manufacture arms should be used for peaceful means only.

“The Church of the Province of Southern Africa (Episcopal) pointed out
in a memorandum to the South African government last year that workshops
for the manufacture of submarines in Britain in World War II were
converted in peacetime to workshops for the repair of underground
trains. No jobs would be lost. In fact, an increase in the number of
jobs could result if Denel and other arms manufacturers applied creative
measures to convert the industry.

“South Africa has many products to export which would enrich the world.
Military hardware is not one of them. One way or the other military
hardware deforms, maims and kills people.

“Our government has banned the use of land mines. It is thus illogical
for it to allow manufacturers of military equipment to peddle in the
market of arms.

“South Africa is compromised in its position as a peace-broker in Africa
by such a deal.  The people of this continent see our land as having a
significant role to play in its peaceful development.

“I call on our government to cancel the agreement signed by Denel with
Algeria, in the interests of peace, stability, and progress on the
continent of Africa,” the Archbishop said.

Visit the homepage of the Church of the Province of Southern Africa at
http://www.cpsa.org.za/