From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presiding Bishop Browning's letter to diocesan bishops and mem

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 29 Jan 1998 12:34:55

January 15, 1998
Episcopal News Service
Jim Solheim, Director
212-922-5385
ens@ecunet.org

98-2070
Presiding Bishop Browning's letter to diocesan bishops and members of
Executive Council regarding `Unauthorized and misleading fundraising
effort in the name of the church'

December 19, 1995

     I recently learned that Bishop Wantland of the Diocese of Eau Claire
established a new nonprofit corporation in 1996 in the State of
Wisconsin.  This corporation is called "The Protestant Episcopal Church
in the United States of America, Inc."  Its organizational
papers disclose that it is to be governed by a five-person Board of
Trustees, which has included Bishop Wantland, Bishop Howe of Central
Florida, and Bishop Schofield of San Joaquin.  Tax-exempt status for this
corporation has been sought and obtained.  I
further understand that the organizers have registered this corporation in
almost every state throughout the country.
     The Articles of Incorporation, a copy of which is enclosed, recite
that the purpose of the corporation is "to engage exclusively in religious,
educational and charitable activities,
and particularly, the executive, administrative and financial
administration of the Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States of
America, otherwise known as The Episcopal Church." Further, the
Articles provide that the organization is to "have charge of the Church
Pension Fund and the Church's program."
     I have also received a copy of a fundraising brochure (a copy of
which is enclosed) that seeks to solicit funds to support this new
organization.  That brochure is being distributed by Bishop Wantland and
others, calling themselves "The Trustees of the Episcopal Church."
     As you know, the name of this organization is virtually identical to
the official name of the unincorporated association that constitutes our
national Church, as set forth in the Preamble to the Church's
Constitution.  The organization's name also tracks the official corporate
name of our Church "The Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society of
the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America."  The
organization is thus using our Church's name in pursuit of its separate
endeavor.
     I have been advised that these actions violate the Church's right and
need to protect its name from misleading and unfair use, creating
confusion within our Church community and for the public more
generally.
     Immediately after learning of these developments, I spoke to Bishop
Wantland asking that he and his colleagues stop these divisive activities
and dissolve the corporation using the
Episcopal Church's official name.  I have had two responses from Bishop
Wantland to these requests.  In the first, he called to inform me that
Bishop Howe had resigned as a trustee.  A few days later, Bishop
Wantland faxed me notification that he and his co-trustees, while they
were taking steps to modify some of the stated purposes of the
corporation as quoted above, nevertheless were re-stating their purposes
to include the exercise of "stewardship" to
"ensure that there will always exist in the United States a Church which
remains in [the] Anglican Communion `upholding and propagating the
historic faith and order of the Book of Common Prayer.' "  Moreover,
Bishop Wantland stated that he and his co-trustees declined to change the
name of the their organization, adding that in their view the "Episcopal
church has been moving away from the use of the name `Protestant
Episcopal Church in the United States of America' by amending the
canons and Book of Common Prayer.' "  I believe this response is most
unfortunate.
     In my opinion, the actions that have been taken are unwise and
inappropriate because they seek to evade the traditional corporate
discernment process that is so basic to the continued life and health of
our Church.
     In the days ahead, I shall be consulting further with the Presiding
Bishop-elect and others, including Dr. Chinnis and other leaders of the
Executive Council, to determine what may be the best course for the
Church to follow.  Meanwhile, I urge each diocesan bishop to inform
your congregations and take counsel with your chancellor and other
diocesan leaders regarding the potential impact of these matters upon
your diocese .  Finally, I ask your
continued prayers and efforts to promote the unity of our Church.