From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Investment and Loan Program Board Approves 1998 Strategic Plan

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 30 Jan 1998 08:07:23

16-January-1998
98014

    Investment and Loan Program
    Board Approves 1998 Strategic Plan

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-Meeting here  Jan.10-11, the board of directors of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Investment and Loan Program, Inc. (PILP),
approved a comprehensive strategic plan for 1998 designed to ensure the
program's continued growth.

    According to the Rev. Kenneth G.Y. Grant, PILP president and chief
executive officer, the corporation ended last year with $9.2 million in
investments plus $4.5 million in investment commitments - more than the
$12.2 million goal set early in 1997, but significantly lower than the
original investment goal of $19.8 million established when the program was
founded two years ago.

    Grant said that a strategic review of investment products and marketing
practices has been completed so that the new corporation can garner an
additional $11 million in investments to fund its 1998 goal of $15 million
in loans. PILP extended $6.6 million in loans - committed or closed - in
1997.

    As part of its planning process, PILP's management team examined three
core areas deemed critical to the plan's success: target audiences,
products offered customers and internal operating procedures.

    The plan's four objectives include

    *  developing the marketing skills of the board Marketing Committee,
       staff and volunteers
    *  selling investments that provide church growth
    *  selling church development loans that attract investors
    *  creating processes and materials for marketing programs.

    "We are excited about our 1998 marketing plan," said Dianne M. Wheeler
of Palmyra, N.Y., the program's Marketing Committee chair. "We're
optimistic and confident that our plan will be successful."

    But approval of the comprehensive plan by the program's board did not
come without debate, particularly between members of the Finance and Loan
Committees. The board approved locking in a two-year, fixed interest rate
on loans of $1 million or less at the date of closing, but a Finance
Committee member cautioned that by doing so PILP's corporate flexibility
could be reduced, particularly in the area of interest rates. Changes to
the program's offering circular will be distributed in May.

    "This marketing plan will sell loans, which is the priority of this
board," said Ray U. Tanner of Jackson, Tenn., PILP's Loan Committee chair.
"I agree that it's probably not the best time to lock in [interest] rates,
but we've missed some loan opportunities last year and we've got to build
in some comfort areas for our [borrowers] if we're going to be standing
next year at this time with a good record."

    Richard B. Lohrer of Palos Verdes Estates, Calif., PILP's Finance
Committee chair, said floating interest rates can either increase, decrease
or remain level, but by fixing rates, PILP's profit margin could  narrow.
While established banks and other lending institutions have huge capital
assets that enable them to negate financial risk, Lohrer said, PILP is a
new corporation with only $3 million in capital assets.

    "My responsibility as chair of the Finance Committee is to make the
board aware of the ramifications," Lohrer told the Presbyterian News
Service. "We can't forecast what interest rates will do. If rates go down,
then these people whose loans are locked in will refinance and we won't
capture the greater market. Then again, if rates go up, we could be locked
in for as long as two years. We're in a period of time where interest rates
have been remarkably level. But the odds of them not changing are slim to
none."

    Jim Marchal, PILP's marketing director, said that since November's
board meeting PILP has finalized a strategy and tactics for 1998 mortgage
sales and investment prospect building.

    He said PILP will launch a series of presentations to its best
prospects during the next month and southern California will be a focus. In
early March, a training seminar for congregational leaders from existing
and new customers will also be held. Marchal said key presbytery and synod
representatives will be asked to participate in the planning and
implementation process of the seminar.

    While change remains the only constant in the finance and investment
world, one thing remains clear: Church officials continue to hold high
hopes for PILP. Created by the 207th General Assembly (1995), the program's
mission is to provide new sources of  funding for church development for
congregations, governing bodies and other institutions related to the
PC(USA). The program is governed by its board of directors, who report to
the General Assembly through the General Assembly Council (GAC).

    "I am very satisfied with what I see in [the program] and also the
relationships that have been built over the last two years," said the Rev.
Frank Diaz, GAC interim executive director.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>