From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Former Youth Group Member in Custody in Mathias Murder Case

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 30 Jan 1998 08:07:25

28-January-1998
98036

    Former Youth Group Member Is in Custody
    in Mathias Murder Case

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--An Indianapolis teenager who attended Northminster
Presbyterian Church is one of two suspects in custody for the ax murder of
the church's  pastor and his spouse just over 13 months ago.

    Sean Rich, 16, of Indianapolis and Paul L. Brightman, 18, of Carmel,
Ind., were to be formally charged at press time (Jan. 28) with the murders
of the Rev. C. Frederick and Cleta Mathias and with robbery, according to
the Marion County Sheriff's Department.  The Mathiases' bound bodies were
found in the family room of their suburban Indianapolis home when
firefighters responded to a neighbor's report of a fire on Dec. 15, 1996.

    Rich formerly attended the Northminster Church and, detectives say,
had been in the Mathias home the day before the murders helping the pastor
move carpet.  Prosecutors intend to request that Rich be tried as an adult.

    "There were a few seconds of euphoria, then [a sense of] resolution or
closure.  But that passed quickly.  There is no joy, only sadness," said
attorney Mark Moore, spokesperson for the Northminster Church, about the
congregation's response to the arrests.  "And two other lives are destroyed
- and I say that without presuming guilt in the legal sense. There's the
realization that Cleta and Fred are dead, real servants of God."

    A prayer service was held at Northminster the night of the arrests.

    "We had unsubstantiated information on both [Rich and Brightman]," said
Sheriff Jack Cottey, citing an anonymous tip that came into the department
the day after the murders, "and we continued to work the case."

    In a Jan. 28 interview, Brightman told "Indianapolis
Star"/"Indianapolis News" reporters that he and Rich broke into the Mathias
home intending to rob it when they were interrupted by the couple.  He said
Rich wielded the ax, set the fire and ran from the house.  He told
reporters Mathias saw his wife killed first and said to Rich, "You're going
to hell, Sean, you're going to hell."

    Rich, however, told reporters that he denies all of the allegations,
saying, "He was my minister.  I had very deep respect for him.  I basically
would've done anything for him he had asked me to.  I never would have
killed him.  I never would have robbed them."

    He said he was caroling with a church youth group that evening and
spent the rest of the night on the telephone.  Police contend that
telephone records do not support that alibi, according to the "Star."

      "We always felt the Mathiases knew one of the perpetrators or they
wouldn't have killed them," said Cottey, a former homicide detective, who
said police originally searched Brightman's residence for narcotics. While
being questioned on the narcotics search, Cottey said, Brightman confessed
to the Mathias murders.

    Moore told the Presbyterian News Service that police had told church
members that "sooner or later" the Mathiases' killers would be in custody
on other charges and would ultimately disclose details of this crime.
"They felt [whoever did this] would be in trouble again.  These crimes are
so horrific, it is not something [someone] could hold in forever.  Maybe
some months or some years.  But ultimately, they'd need to confess," he
said.

    The church issued a written statement the day of the arrests saying
that the congregation intends to "pray that the young men, now under
arrest, will seek peace and reconciliation with God."  Mindful that Rich is
a former member of Northminster, the statement says, "We know that he and
his family are in need of our prayers.  We will continue to pray for them."

    Moore said the Rich family has transferred its membership to another
church.

    The congregation is bracing itself  for the pain of hearing detailed
accounts of the murders as the case goes to trial, which is like reliving
Dec. 15, 1996, said Moore.

    "That's tough," he said, adding that difficulty has already begun with
the "Star's" interview with Brightman.  "He's describing in some detail the
killing of Cleta and Fred. It's horrifying."

    During the Jan. 27 evening prayer service, Northminster's interim
pastor, the Rev. Ron Smith, called the congregation to "continue to bear
witness to the faithfulness of God, who has sustained the members of this
church family in the past 13 months.  The darkness of Dec. 15, 1996, has
not overcome the light of the gospel.  Rather the light has shone more
brightly than ever as men, women and young people of Northminster have
discovered new dimensions of hope in Jesus Christ."

    He urged the congregation to "strengthen one another in faith" should
more details of the crime become public.  "Remember," he said, "that Fred
and Cleta are not suffering now."

    Rumors about detectives' suspicions that Rich might be involved  in the
killings became somewhat public months ago in Indianapolis - and that, too,
caused anxiety within the congregation.  Six months after the murders, the
"Star" reported there was a teenage suspect, but there was not enough
evidence to charge him, though police had searched the home and were
questioning his friends.

    "There was more fear among the youth than we realized," Moore said,
adding that with the arrest much of that fear has dissolved into sadness.

    The church's public statement says that "in the face of the evil, pure
and simple, of Dec. 15, 1996," the congregation has, "in the words of the
Apostle Paul's letter to the Thessalonians, `encouraged one another and
built up one another.'"  It says: "In the face of the irrational and
unfathomable evil of Dec. 15, 1996, we witnessed to God's enduring love -
the love that will not let us go.  In witness to God's constant love, we
prayed for Cleta and Fred and all who loved them, the sheriff's department
and all who worked with them, the killer or killers and those who protected
them that they might seek peace and reconciliation and justice and patience
- especially patience."

    A memorial scholarship for theological education has been established
by Northminster in the Mathiases' name.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>